My first hemorrhagic stroke due to an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) rupture!!

Dear All,

I had a hemorrhagic stroke in March (2012) this year due to an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) rupture. The avm was completely removed Since the bleed I have suffered from issues with concentration, focus, awareness and occasionally issues with short term memory.... It's been pretty difficult to operate myself and maintain relationships with my family due to my personality changes since my avm bleed in my brain!!

I was wondering if anyone with an avm / hemorrhagic stroke has critical illness insurance to cover such life changing events? i had a critical illness insurance policy through work since I started with my new employer Feb 2011, but since i'm within two years of my policy they consider associated conditions that may have caused a stroke, but the final decisions are based on what the medical teams say.....

Associated conditions that could cause a stroke are Atrial fibrillation, Transient Ischaemic attack, Diabetes mellitus, Hypertension, Intracranial aneurysm Occlusive arterial disease & High Cholesterol. I've never had any of these before. The whole insurance process has me in knots now!!!

Also did anyone go back to work and found it difficult to operate as they did as before...??? I'm scared that I may not have the same working abilities as i did prior to my stroke!!

Thanks for reading

Bhav

I cannot help you burt someone on here had avm I think ...lol my short term memory is awful....

They will be able to help you ...and welcome to BTG and Good luck ....

Regards

WinB143

I really hope so, all of this is on my mind so much!!!

I need all the support i can get... as i've never had / been aware of any conditions that could cause this prior to my stroke.... & the whole nine yard process!!

Hi Bhav

The issues you have with concentration, memory etc are really common after a bleed (whatever caused it). I don't know which members also had an AVM but hopefully they will see your post & reply to you.

There is a thread on here somewhere (I'm sorry I can't remember where you would find it) about critical illness insurance pay outs after a bleed. I think some members insurance paid out while others didn't.

Be patient with yourself, you have been through such a lot & it takes time to get better and notice all the improvements you continue to have.

Michelle

P.S There is also a thread called 'Back to Work' that will help you to answer a lot of questions on that subject. One of the other members or the administrators may be able to post a link to it for you (again, I'm really sorry - I don't know how to do that)

Edited by goldfish.girl

Hi Bhav

Welcome to BTG. If you go to the box just below the blue lines with New Posts, Gallery etc. You'll find a box titled 'Search Forums'. Type in Critical Illness cover and the discussions for this topic will come up. I don't click the 'advance search' button I just hit return.

There is also a thread from some time ago, I'm sure, with a member who also had an AVM. This should also come up after a search. This is a link from Karen http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/index.php

Take care and good luck with your claim.

Edited by Liz D

Hi Bhav

Welcome to BTG. If you go to the box just below the blue lines with New Posts, Gallery etc. You'll find a box titled 'Search Forums'. Type in Critical Illness cover and the discussions for this topic will come up. I don't click the 'advance search' button I just hit return.

There is also a thread from some time ago, I'm sure, with a member who also had an AVM. This should also come up after a search. This is a link from Karen http://www.avmsupport.org.uk/index.php

Take care and good luck with your claim.

Thankyou.... for me this is completely out of the blue, and the doctors say I really need a year to rest and recover, so I really do hope that everything works out for the best :o)