A Little Christmas Drink?

Hi all.

I think I am a little late in joining the conversation.

I have always been a bit of a lightweight when it came to drinking. But even more so now. The last time I drank in any quantity was in July when myself & some friends went up Snowdon. It was also a bit of a reunion mixed with a lads holiday.

Wanting to show everyone that I was still me, I hit the beer with a passion. However. I paid for it all in a big way. I was sick as a dog (not pleasant in a tent), & had a hangover all the way up the mountain.That evening I stuck to lime & soda. But I still felt rough the next day on the white water rafting trip (that was torture!).

Thinking back on it, the main problem was my ego rather than the alcohol. I was so wound up trying to be me that I over did it.

I allow myself a bottle of light beer or two a week & just relax.

Hi all.

I think I am a little late in joining the conversation.

I have always been a bit of a lightweight when it came to drinking. But even more so now. The last time I drank in any quantity was in July when myself & some friends went up Snowdon. It was also a bit of a reunion mixed with a lads holiday.

Wanting to show everyone that I was still me, I hit the beer with a passion. However. I paid for it all in a big way. I was sick as a dog (not pleasant in a tent), & had a hangover all the way up the mountain.That evening I stuck to lime & soda. But I still felt rough the next day on the white water rafting trip (that was torture!).

Thinking back on it, the main problem was my ego rather than the alcohol. I was so wound up trying to be me that I over did it.

I allow myself a bottle of light beer or two a week & just relax.[/QUOT

Ern, that sounds an epic trip!

Like you I like the odd drink - it does help me relax and remind me of the old me!

Happy New Year. Linda

Hmmmmm well I used to be able to have 6/7 pints on a night out but now I struggle with a pint of Guinness also found I can only drink a few bottles of corona , of magners or Smirnoff even to be honest I'm not that bothered about drinkin much anymore We bought drink in for Xmas think 2 bottle of corona has gone an that was on New Year's Eve. :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

I am extremely late finding this thread! :oops:

I didn't really drink for the first 2 years post-SAH, however I have managed to enjoy a few more over the past year ;)

In fact I had rather a lot of vodka & diet coke at a friends party the other week but I then stopped drinking, made a cup of tea, then called a cab and got home and drank some water before bed.

I did feel hungover the next day, but that was the first hangover for me in more than 3 years!

In the early post-SAH months I felt like I had a hangover x100 so was too scared to have a drink!

Kel x

This is really interesting reading for me folks.

Prior to my SAH and clipping, I was something of an "enthusiastic consumer" of wine, socially, after a long day etc..... at first after surgery, I was really afraid to drink, especially as there was no real reason given for why my SAH happened, but of course smoking, drinking and high blood pressure were all cited.

Needless to say I have not touched a cigarette since and my levels of drinking are minute comparably, I might have a couple of glasses on a weekend but that is pretty much it.

In more recent times I have been trying to go out more (this has been a massive problem as my "filter" seems to be broken, so my concentration and divided attention are all over the place). A friends 40th only became bearable, as I got rather cider squiffy.

This was amazing in one sense as I could last at her party without running away (alcohol reduced the anxiety), however I have noticed it has a terrible effect on my memory, I have total blackouts of parts of the night, which is really scary.

Realistically, I realise I cant use booze as a coping mechanism long term for dealing with social gatherings, but even in moderation the total memory loss thing is really scary.

Anyone else found this?

Mel X

ps it happens with wine too

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scarlett
I totally empathise. I’m quite an embarrassment after drinking half a shandy!

I asked my consultant about the effect of alcohol post SAH.

He said that the injured brain has to work harder to get through things, so a healthy brain can cope with higher levels of alcohol than an injured one. Our brains are not working at full capacity to start with and as alcohol reduces brain function in everyone, we feel the effects quicker than most.

I find drinking water alongside my drink is helpful and can make it seem that you're drinking for a longer duration.

L xx

I see you live in Wales too. May I ask where you had your surgery?