Misread my scans!

Guest Scarlett

said it was OK to run on the treadmill after my 2 week post surgery checkup. He also said I could go skiing this year if I wanted to. If you don't have a rupture and they clip it or coil it you are pretty well good to go. I need another angiogram in 5 years but that is it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scarlett
was not connected to my aneurysm but was the results of calcium deposits moving around my inner ear. I went through the period that you are describing now until they recommended clipping to fix my problem. I now have 3 clips on my MCA, and I am watching my BP and cholesterol. The good news is the surgeon did another angiogram before he closed my head and said that he obtained the best possible outcome. Good luck with your aneurysm

Hi Bluescat,

That's so good to know. I am linking everything to this aneurysm. I haven't worried as much about the pituitary cyst,because I asked the neurosurgeon at the Queens about the possibility of it bursting and they assured me that wouldn't happen. They just said they would learn more about it after the angiogram.

Even though I am terrified of the surgical procedure I just want it over with now because It's like I am living in limbo land. I am afraid to do anything. I am hopeful if I pay for the angiogram that I will be able to have it arranged for next week and I will at least know which type of surgery lies ahead. It's all the uncertainty. Once I have a date for the surgery and everything is in place I think I will be ok, even though I'm afraid of having a general anesthetic, I think it has to be better than living in fear.

Lin-lin has made me feel better. I was worried after brain surgery that I would never be the same. I am hopeful now.Thank you so much for posting x

Hi Scarlet,

That is what i thought I knew. All of mine have been brain angios (where they go in through your groin to look at your brain). All of these involved iodine being injected into the groin artery, so I have been told, after asking relatives since reading you post.

I have also had an MRI scan using 'dye'???? I can't explain that apart from being told before I went in the scanner that they might inject a dye through my arm that would feel warm as it went in. It did.

Have you been given any care plan or dates yet?

Michelle x

Hi Bluescat,

That's so good to know. I am linking everything to this aneurysm. I haven't worried as much about the pituitary cyst,because I asked the neurosurgeon at the Queens about the possibility of it bursting and they assured me that wouldn't happen. They just said they would learn more about it after the angiogram.

Even though I am terrified of the surgical procedure I just want it over with now because It's like I am living in limbo land. I am afraid to do anything. I am hopeful if I pay for the angiogram that I will be able to have it arranged for next week and I will at least know which type of surgery lies ahead. It's all the uncertainty. Once I have a date for the surgery and everything is in place I think I will be ok, even though I'm afraid of having a general anesthetic, I think it has to be better than living in fear.

Lin-lin has made me feel better. I was worried after brain surgery that I would never be the same. I am hopeful now.Thank you so much for posting x

I had a headache for about 2 weeks after surgery and all they gave me was Tylenol for pain. It is bearable. You have to tell yourself the alternative is not an option. I only spent 2 days in the hospital and I got around the house pretty well. I won't lie all surgery has risk, but modern medicine has come a long way. As far as this surgery goes the arteries are on the outside of the brain so they don't disturb it very much. It is much better for unruptured annies as you probably will not requirer a long hospital stay or therapy. I wish you well lets get it fixed so your life can be normal again, and it will be. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Harry Chapman aka bluescat.

Hi Scarlett,

Wanted to put your mind at rest....hopefully. I had a SAH in Sept 2009 when a 12mm aneurysm on my opthalmic artery ruptured. I had it coiled and when it was followed up 6 months later the MRI was not clear due to stent they put in artery to hold coils in.

I had an angiogram that clearly showed I needed more coils. This was done successfully in 2011, I went back yesterday for a follow up angio and all has stayed in place and they are happy with me!!

Angiography sounds scary but remember the image it produces a very clear leaving no room for uncertainty. You lay flat and they put a local anaesthetic in groin, they thread a catheter up to your neck ( you don't feel it) You lay still while a contrast dye is put through catheter whilst they take image of area. You may have flashing lights with it but no pain.

After angio you lay flat for a couple of hours and are mobile after about 4.

Trust me I'm a real chicken and if I can do it anyone can! It is far better for you to have aneurysm coiled to stop you worrying, when I woke up after last coiling I had no after effects and was up and about in no time. Happy to answer any questions on angio etc

Sending you lots of love

Steph X

Guest Scarlett
I had a headache for about 2 weeks after surgery and all they gave me was Tylenol for pain. It is bearable. You have to tell yourself the alternative is not an option. I only spent 2 days in the hospital and I got around the house pretty well. I won't lie all surgery has risk, but modern medicine has come a long way. As far as this surgery goes the arteries are on the outside of the brain so they don't disturb it very much. It is much better for unruptured annies as you probably will not requirer a long hospital stay or therapy. I wish you well lets get it fixed so your life can be normal again, and it will be. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Harry Chapman aka bluescat.

Hi Harry, and thanks for posting. I am so grateful for all the information. I was hoping to have my angiogram booked for next week at the Queens, but they phoned today to say I needed a referral. I explained the neurosurgeon had decided I needed this and that the details would be in my notes.However, her secretary isn't there this afternoon and the neurosurgeon is off on holiday Monday until 14th March!! I feel so frustrated. I just wanted it done next week.

When you were diagnosed did they tell you to take things easy or say what you could or couldn't do before having the surgery? I have just been told to avoid pushing up my blood pressure x

Guest Scarlett
Hi Scarlett,

Wanted to put your mind at rest....hopefully. I had a SAH in Sept 2009 when a 12mm aneurysm on my opthalmic artery ruptured. I had it coiled and when it was followed up 6 months later the MRI was not clear due to stent they put in artery to hold coils in.

I had an angiogram that clearly showed I needed more coils. This was done successfully in 2011, I went back yesterday for a follow up angio and all has stayed in place and they are happy with me!!

Angiography sounds scary but remember the image it produces a very clear leaving no room for uncertainty. You lay flat and they put a local anaesthetic in groin, they thread a catheter up to your neck ( you don't feel it) You lay still while a contrast dye is put through catheter whilst they take image of area. You may have flashing lights with it but no pain.

After angio you lay flat for a couple of hours and are mobile after about 4.

Trust me I'm a real chicken and if I can do it anyone can! It is far better for you to have aneurysm coiled to stop you worrying, when I woke up after last coiling I had no after effects and was up and about in no time. Happy to answer any questions on angio etc

Sending you lots of love

Steph X

Hi Steph,

Thanks for all the information. I want it over with now, because I can't live like this worrying if it's going to burst every day and every night. It's on my mind all of the time. I was hoping to have the angiogram next week but as I have posted to Harry above, that don't look as if its going to be possible now.

Just wondering about the iodine dye. They ask if you are allergic to it but I wouldn't know as I have never had any dye injected before. I am asthmatic but hopefully it won't cause any problems to occur. Do they give you sedation? I remember having an endoscopy procedure and the sedation I had then was fab ( could do with a bit of that right now lol) I didn't remember anything about the procedure even though I was awake. x

Hi Scarlett,

I really feel for you but try and take a day at a time. It's completely natural to feel anxious and wonder what is going on.

I would go back to my GP and explain how anxious you are getting waiting for angio. I'm sure they can help but in my experience it always helps to take someone with you, a partner, friend or parent to support you.

Write down all your concerns as it is easy to forget once you get there. As for contrast dye, I have asthma and had no problems. I'm sure you can ask for sedation eg valium but I didn't have any and coped. Sure you will too.

Take care love Steph x

Hi Scarlett,

I can see how scared & frustrated you are with the lack of an appointment. I agree with Stephs' suggestion that talking to your own GP about how anxious you are is a very good idea. I don't think anyone hearing the news you've had about the anneurysm would cope any better than you are. It is a scary new world after you hear this news.

Without wishing to belittle your anxiety as it is perfectly understandable, it's also worth remembering that many people go through their whole lives with anneurysms that never burst. Try to keep that positive thought in mind while you are waiting for treatment.

I never thought to ask for a sedative for the angiograms but I'm sure your doctor will be able to advise you on this. Although Angios are not a particularly pleasant experience, mostly due to worry & stress involved, they are not painful (in my experience). There was just a feeling of heat & some visual disturbance for me, no pain, so try not to overly panic about having one. I think discussing all your concerns with your GP as soon as possible is a very good idea. I found the MRI scan far worse due to the claustrophobic feeling of being inside the machine, I'm planning to ask for a sedative for the next one!

Take things easy & if possible work out a plan for someone to come to the GP with you to remind you of all the things discussed & decided at the appointment. It's often difficult to take it all in when you are worried & anxious.

Michelle x

Guest Scarlett
I've had the angios lots & MRI with dye, Im a big scardy but its ok as others said lie for 4hours Steph explained it well.

Try not to analize everything hun and all the best.

Thanks Louise,

I will try not to. My husband is no support whatsoever so I'm glad I have found this site and have all you here to post to x

Guest Scarlett
Hi Scarlett,

I really feel for you but try and take a day at a time. It's completely natural to feel anxious and wonder what is going on.

I would go back to my GP and explain how anxious you are getting waiting for angio. I'm sure they can help but in my experience it always helps to take someone with you, a partner, friend or parent to support you.

Write down all your concerns as it is easy to forget once you get there. As for contrast dye, I have asthma and had no problems. I'm sure you can ask for sedation eg valium but I didn't have any and coped. Sure you will too.

Take care love Steph x

Hi Steph,

I have booked an appointment with my GP for next Friday to talk things through. I'm glad to hear the angiogram didn't affect your Asthma,because that's been worrying me. They did mention I could take steroids as a precaution the night before and morning of the procedure. Thanks x

Guest Scarlett
Hi Scarlett,

I can see how scared & frustrated you are with the lack of an appointment. I agree with Stephs' suggestion that talking to your own GP about how anxious you are is a very good idea. I don't think anyone hearing the news you've had about the anneurysm would cope any better than you are. It is a scary new world after you hear this news.

Without wishing to belittle your anxiety as it is perfectly understandable, it's also worth remembering that many people go through their whole lives with anneurysms that never burst. Try to keep that positive thought in mind while you are waiting for treatment.

I never thought to ask for a sedative for the angiograms but I'm sure your doctor will be able to advise you on this. Although Angios are not a particularly pleasant experience, mostly due to worry & stress involved, they are not painful (in my experience). There was just a feeling of heat & some visual disturbance for me, no pain, so try not to overly panic about having one. I think discussing all your concerns with your GP as soon as possible is a very good idea. I found the MRI scan far worse due to the claustrophobic feeling of being inside the machine, I'm planning to ask for a sedative for the next one!

Take things easy & if possible work out a plan for someone to come to the GP with you to remind you of all the things discussed & decided at the appointment. It's often difficult to take it all in when you are worried & anxious.

Michelle x

Hi Michelle,

I wanted to scream today. I was so frustrated and disappointed with not being able to have the angiogram next week and at the same time telling myself I couldn't get annoyed without pushing up my blood pressure.

I am taking things easy which is so hard for me as I'm always on the go doing something or rushing somewhere and very rarely sit down to relax until about ten in the evening.

I hated the MRI's too and kept my eyes closed the whole time in the last scan! I will do as you suggest thanks x

Hi Harry, and thanks for posting. I am so grateful for all the information. I was hoping to have my angiogram booked for next week at the Queens, but they phoned today to say I needed a referral. I explained the neurosurgeon had decided I needed this and that the details would be in my notes.However, her secretary isn't there this afternoon and the neurosurgeon is off on holiday Monday until 14th March!! I feel so frustrated. I just wanted it done next week.

When you were diagnosed did they tell you to take things easy or say what you could or couldn't do before having the surgery? I have just been told to avoid pushing up my blood pressure x

Scarlett,

They never said anything about taking it easy, I am retired so that makes things easy and I am on 2 BP meds. I don't know if I am reading your post right or I missed something but they knocked me out when I had my angiogram. I was eating lunch in a restaurant 1 hour later. The worst pain was the IV stick. My surgeon was not very forthcoming with information, so I did research on my own on the internet. I would say go on with your life. I don't know how long I was walking around with my aneurysm. I know it was 6 months from diagnosis until surgery. My annie was 6MM and was a trifurcation which means it involved the junction of 3 arteries. Just tell yourself that you are going to get better, you have a condition not a disease and it is repairable. Tell your self that you are lucky they found it and that the alternative is unacceptable. Don't hesitate to reach out to people especially those on this board as they have all been through it. Once you get over the initial shock of diagnosis your anxiety will lessen, mine did. Take care.

Harry

Guest Scarlett
Scarlett,

They never said anything about taking it easy, I am retired so that makes things easy and I am on 2 BP meds. I don't know if I am reading your post right or I missed something but they knocked me out when I had my angiogram. I was eating lunch in a restaurant 1 hour later. The worst pain was the IV stick. My surgeon was not very forthcoming with information, so I did research on my own on the internet. I would say go on with your life. I don't know how long I was walking around with my aneurysm. I know it was 6 months from diagnosis until surgery. My annie was 6MM and was a trifurcation which means it involved the junction of 3 arteries. Just tell yourself that you are going to get better, you have a condition not a disease and it is repairable. Tell your self that you are lucky they found it and that the alternative is unacceptable. Don't hesitate to reach out to people especially those on this board as they have all been through it. Once you get over the initial shock of diagnosis your anxiety will lessen, mine did. Take care.

Harry

Hi Harry,

I am going to ask for sedation for the angiogram because I think I will need it on the day! I will be going alone and it's a three hour train journey,then a 20 minute taxi ride to the Hospital, so it will be quite stressful beforehand. I am hoping tomorrow morning to sort out a date and fingers crossed it will be next week.If they say they still don't have a referral form, I will ask my GP to fax one over to them.I never have colds but I have one now,I hope that won't delay my angiogram. I think it should still be ok.

I went to mass this morning. I haven't been for a a long while but just felt the need to. I felt a bit panicky there,all of a sudden I became worried I would collapse and die ,my heart started racing. Afterwards I spoke with the priest and I felt better.

Thank you Harry,I know you are right.I must try to start living a normal life again x

Scarlett, if I had a cold then I would hesitate before taking it into a hospital. They try to minimise the risk of cross infection in the theatre but they say if you know you have something then try to stay away until you have a clean bill of health. I would mention it and see what they say.

Hey Scarlett all I can say re: hubby is shame on him I bet if it were him it be a different matter intirley...

My thoughts as well but I did refrain from posting anything.

Scarlett needs all the support she can get at the moment. It is a very scarey time for her. Hoping she can sort the angio out asap.

Guest Scarlett
Scarlett, if I had a cold then I would hesitate before taking it into a hospital. They try to minimise the risk of cross infection in the theatre but they say if you know you have something then try to stay away until you have a clean bill of health. I would mention it and see what they say.

I am so upset. It seems I may have a two week wait or even more for my angiogram. I rang them again today and was told the neurosurgeon has to present when I have the procedure incase something goes wrong! She is away for two weeks. Is this standard procedure or am I being fobbed off? The secretary said he would get the neurologist to call me, but it didn't happen.

Because I am paying for the angiogram I thought I could have it quite soon. x

Guest Scarlett
Hey Scarlett all I can say re: hubby is shame on him I bet if it were him it be a different matter intirley...

Yes that's true. He is no support to me at all. I am so frightened but he just thinks of himself. I'm going through this all on my own x

Guest Scarlett
My thoughts as well but I did refrain from posting anything.

Scarlett needs all the support she can get at the moment. It is a very scarey time for her. Hoping she can sort the angio out asap.

I don't know what to do now. Do I wait for the angiogram at the Queens or do I go to the Walton in Liverpool? If I did, by the time I paid and arranged another consultation and waited for my scans to be forwarded over, I don't suppose there would be a lot of difference in the time period. Just more stress for me and further to travel.

I had just set my heart on having this procedure out of the way this week,especially after the consultant radiologists secretary calling me Thursday evening saying I would have an appointment. I was all prepared and feel so down.

I

The NHS have their board meeting this Thursday. I will know then if they are going to provide the funding x

Guest Scarlett
Is Scarlett's angiogram an MRA or is the one where they go through your femoral artery? My doctor told me the one through the artery is the gold standard of test, and in the USA you need a bag of gold to get it done.

Hi Harry,

The angiogram I'm having is the one where they feed the catheter up into the artery in the groin. I don't know what an MRA is? Is that what you had? Was a neurosurgeon present when you had yours? x