Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Kerryb

Quadrantanopia

53 posts in this topic

Not sure what you are referring to by way of your question Thegiftofsight but if it refers to the diagnosis I don't really know what the medical terms mean! I have simply transposed the Consultants diagnosis onto the above post. There are many on here that will know I am sure. A Transient Ischaemic Attack (commonly known as a TIA) is just that, transient. If I had had a TIA and not the subsequent haemorraghic transformation then I presume that I would have had my eyesight back within 24 - 48 hours.

I didn't, but have been left with an area of eyesight that is just not there (to the right in each eye and on almost an horizontal plane). In fact, it's not the eyes that aren't working but a part of my brain of the left occipital lobe (at the back of the neck and the lower part of the head I think!). The left occipital lobe controls the right side of sight etc and the right lobe controls the left.

I'd like to think that some of the posts on line (around the world) are true and the nerves eventually grow back but since it is now over six months and there has been no great signs of improvement, I am not sure that this is the case. Everyone is different and it would appear that some get improvement and some don't. I am 56 years old by the way and had no idea I had had a stroke. With strokes to the back of the head (I am told) there are none of the signs that adverts tell us to look out for in others.

I had a headache, that is all. I am not prone to headaches. When I arrived at work I started typing an email and found that part of my right vision was missing. I thought it might have been a cricked vertebra in my neck pinching a nerve, or a detached retina. I went first to my Chiropractic. It wasn't a pinched nerve in the neck. I then took myself off to Moorfields eye hospital. The consultant said, it's not your eyes so it must be neurological.  It was then that the 'S' word was mentioned! They put me in a taxi to University College Hospital and I stayed for 24 hours being prodded and poked and thoroughly checked out. CT scan, MRI scan, Physio checks etc etc. They were a marvel.

I dared not tell my wife when I was in hospital because when a stroke is mentioned the immediate image that springs to mind is massive loss of movement, not being able to walk or lift an arm, collapsed face and dribbling! I mean that in a tongue in cheek way but it is true; people always think the worst until they see you. I was back at work a week later, although I imposed fewer work hours on myself as, luckily, I own my own business and have very supportive partners and staff.

Six months later I am back to where I was work-wise. Still trying not to stress too much though and still dreaming of getting back behind the wheel and joining my mates on the annual driving trip to Europe in 2018!

Regards

Hey All

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm new to this forum. 22.4.17 marked two years since I had a left lobar bleed. I was 34. I'm left with a right upper quadrantanopia. I reapplied for my driving licence in Jan. I'm still waiting. I'm just interested to discuss this with people who have had the same thing. I'm also looking for any advise from people that the dvla have sent for the driving assessment. I still don't know if I will be given the option but trying to stay hopeful. 

Many Thanks. 

On 4/29/2017 at 21:57, Kelly said:

Hey All

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm new to this forum. 22.4.17 marked two years since I had a left lobar bleed. I was 34. I'm left with a right upper quadrantanopia. I reapplied for my driving licence in Jan. I'm still waiting. I'm just interested to discuss this with people who have had the same thing. I'm also looking for any advise from people that the dvla have sent for the driving assessment. I still don't know if I will be given the option but trying to stay hopeful. 

Many Thanks. 

Welcome Kelly. I am in the same position as you although it is only 7 months since my stroke. Not having a driving licence is making me more depressed than the stroke makes me! Anyway, I presume that you are aware that you'll have to reapply under the 'exceptional circumstances rule? There are some really good pieces of advice above here in this very thread, from people who still have quadrantanopia but got their licence back. Maybe you need to contact DVLA every week to make sure that they actually do something about your application? Please let us know how you get on with the process as I shall be starting my own in a few months time. Please update when movement is made. Many thanks.

1 person likes this