Gold Standard for Aneurysm Diagnosis

This is one question that none of us can answer, we are not medically trained, just survivors. You need to ask it of your medical practitioner although I suspect one will favour one method whilst another will favour the opposite.

If you do manage to find the answer I am sure our members would be interested.

• Like 1

From what I understand, the most important thing is that they are able to view all of the arteries, even ones close to the bone.  I was given a Contrast CT or Angiogram where Iodine was injected in my arm.  The Neurosurgical team at UHC claim that they have computer software which allows them to view the results in 3D and to strip away the bone.  They claim that this type of CT Angiogram is the Gold Standard.

But according to an opinion that I got from the John's Hopkins affiliate in Turkey, Anadolu, a Cerebral Arteriography is called for.

They claim that Cerebral Arteriography is the Gold Standard for diagnosis.   Dr. Google cannot provide conclusive answers.   I was told that I only had one aneurysm but I want to be absolutely certain before undergoing surgery.  Unfortunately, I cannot travel to Turkey as it has always been on my bucket list.   ☺

Sometimes in my opinion Google is not your friend, I have found that people do get told different things - different cities different countries but they seem to all add up to the same answer in the long run, personally I haven't heard of Gold standard before....

in my surgery I had no option - sometimes I think this is the best thing...

But we cannot give medical advice out here....

I agree with Louise, sometimes Google is not always a good choice of friend!

I've also never heard of the 'Gold Standard'.

My ruptured aneurysm was found after having a CT and then I had an angiogram. No choice but to have clipping surgery.

I'm lucky that I don't have memories of those early days, but my family and friends have to live with them.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

My operation was emergency surgery so there were no choices. The original diagnoses was by CT and I too have been told there was only one aneurysm. I have been checked at 6 months and 2 years with an MRI with contrast. Each time the all-clear has been given and I'm also going to have a 5 year scan. They won't just operate and leave you to it, there are further checks.

I agree with the others, Google is not always useful. It's great to find out more information, but it can also give you a lot to worry about that you would otherwise have been happily oblivious to.

Sometimes it has to do with what the patient can withstand.  Sometimes it has to do with the equipment at the hospital.  Sometimes it has to do with what the particular physician finds he/she likes.  Also, over the years, the standard evolves.  There are many reasons for all the different types of tests out there.  If you want a different test than you got, go to another doctor/hospital otherwise take what is offered and ask about how confident they are in the results.  Then go from there.

Know that too, sometimes the gold standard is over doing it for some patients.  Some people don't need the maximum scan sensitivity.  If you can see the bleed on any scan, it happened.

~Kris

• Like 2