Lack of sleep

Hi guys

I'm really struggling sleeping at the moment had a NASAH permesnecephalic just over 4 weeks ago.

I was taking nemodipine for the first 3 weeks every 4 hours and now my body seems to think it should still be awake every 4 hours.

Gave in tonight and had a sleeping tablet but surprise surprise awake 4 hours later and can't get back to sleep :/(

Any body else have the same problem and how did you solve it.

Help!!!!!!

Sleepyhead :/)

• Like 2

Hi,

I have terrible sleep patterns. I had to take my nemodipine every two hours due to my BP being so low. It lowered it even more but made my heart race at the same time. No fun. I was also on anti seizure meds that made me a cryin fool.

Anyway, I wake up every single night. Most of the time around 2:30 - 3:00 am and I have a terrible time getting back to sleep. It's been this way for over a yr and a half now. I am always tired but push through. However, there are times when I must lay down. You are still in the early stages and need lots of rest.

Sorry, I have no great advice. Hope others will.

Iola

I watch tele in bed with remote by my side and hubby snoring, I don't know how he sleeps through it.

Seriously I hope you get some well needed sleep !! try saying to self "toes relax wiggle them,  then legs, work way up your body up to arms and neck.

My Mum used to show me how to do it sometimes it worked but nothing ventured.  xx

Now try it and no laughing xx

Good Luck

Win xx

• Like 1

sleepyhead!

So sorry about sleep!  I know exactly what you mean.  I'm 5 months out and have gotten a little better about sleeping through night but struggled the rest of the time.  Everybody's different but have faith that it will get better for you.  You are constantly healing and changing physically.  Keep us posted and stay positive.    :)

Carolyn usa

• Like 1

I had terrible problems with sleeping in the early stages of recovery.  I remember being told in rehab that sleep was the best thing for this and I had to get something from my GP.  Don't remember what it was but I started to feel much better after a good nights sleep.  

So I would suggest you get something from your doctor to help you through this difficult stage, your brain will benefit from it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sleep patterns can be all over the place, good advice from Momo...

when I came off anti-seizure meds was really bad, found that although shattered if I gave in and slept in the day that made the sleeping at night worse its a no win situation that. In the day 10 minutes power nap solves it for me..

hope the zzzz's come soon.

• Like 1

I used to get 7 1/2 hours of sleep which is about 5 sleep cycles at 90min each with out fail.

Then SAH.  

At first I was waking every 90min (at the end of each sleep cycle) with hard times going back to sleep if at all.

Then I started to sleep through for a couple of cycles in a row.  

Then I noticed dreams.  Some stressful.

It varies now between 4 1/2hours or 6hours of sleep/night.  When I wake, that's it usually.  I can't seem to fall back to sleep.  I am functioning fine during the day or at least I can't tell any difference from when I get the shorter or longer sleep, so I'm guessing that my brain just has undergone a shift in priorities.  Sleep is not one of them.  How I wish I could lose consciousness for a whole night because 4am is a rather boring time, really.

Persons with PTSD often complain of sleep disturbances.  I have that as a left over symptom of my PTS.  It is hard to distinguish what was SAH and what came from PTS.  It doesn't matter, it is what it is.  Maybe someday I won't live a hyper vigilant life sleeping or waking.

Acceptance.  The rest of the world doesn't, but I do now.  People are shocked when I tell them how little I sleep without needing to get up at any certain time.  If I ever go back to 7 1/2 hours, I'll post here again.  Here's to hope.

~Kris

• Like 5

I had a bear of a time sleeping when I first got out, even though I was always so tired. I did fall asleep a lot during the day but never for very long. When I was put on Amitryptiline that ended the issue, but that medication didn't work for me. The sleep was too groggy, too. It wasn't refreshing sleep. Now I'm only on 25 mg of Amitryptiline (thank God because it made me gain a lot of weight that I couldn't lose no matter how hard I tried, and I honestly tried) and my doctor also put me on Melatonin and that helps. You might ask your doctor about something like that. It doesn't make me groggy in the morning, which is good since I have my students. I also need to be able to get up and take the dogs out without walking into walls at night and I'm able to do that.

At this point, though, try to not stress as much as possible. Just let your body do its thing because its going to whether you stress about it or not. Stress will only wear you out and slow down your recovery. For me, it also made (and still does make) my head hurt worse when I stressed or got emotional. 

Welcome to the club you never wanted to join! At least you're in good company!

• 2 months later...

I am glad to read that it's not just me but sad for all of us that suffer from the insomnia. My dr put me on ativan- the smallest amount prescribed and it does work. I have never taken any medication for anxiety or depression. I am petrified of how the brain can become used to meds. I started work and am out for 2 more weeks again while I battle some vertigo at neuro rehab. I need the ativan to sleep now and probably will need it when I return to work.

That means a month on the med every night? That truly scares me. But I have to sleep. I have to wake at 6.30 and take care of my child or wake and go take care of my patients at the hospital. Is this normal? Should I just keep taking it? I am only 3 months out and this is Definitely the hardest time for me thus far. I know in my heart it will get better but I need to sleep for that to happen.

As you say, you have to sleep. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

I can understand you not wanting to take meds but sometimes needs must as you will know from your profession.

Look at is this way. You need the sleep to function so you have to take the meds. It may only be for a short term, only time will tell. You are on a very low dose so you should not become addicted to them, in theory.

Meanwhile, enjoy the rest that they give you.

The only advice is to listen to your instincts.  Medical professionals can tell you stuff.  Your friends can tell you stuff.  Here you can read stuff.  In the end it is up to each person whether or not they choose to take a medication for any reason.  

The main thing is to research the side effects and the intended action.  Some are literally no better than a placebo which can be up to about 30% in some cases (which isn't all that bad).  The newer drugs are hardly ever tested against it so you really have to do some digging to find out if the older drug was even above the placebo effect and then go from there.  Just doing anything different in your nightly routine, if you think it might help, will create a placebo.

Drink warm milk for instance or take a warm bath another night...anything.  Try for a night and see if it works for you.  Then go on and try another.  Trial and error can be useful with and without medications.  I closed the blinds last night and I slept great because I thought it might help in the wee hours of the morning.  It did.  Tonight, it might or might not work.  Experiment.  No quick fixes in sleep or wakefulness, right?

~Kris

• Like 2

I go to sleep with TV on and if it is boring I can sleep but it took a while for

me to get back to my sleeping habits.  Still not there but it's better.

I need to have a sweet smell when I sleep and since my sense of smells have gone haywire

it's awkward.

And you are right Kris we either fall asleep or toss and turn.

Have a Goodnights sleep all BTG'ers

Win xx

My sleep is terrible!! I had a hard time getting to sleep- then after I would get to sleep I would wake up every 1 to 2 hours and just toss and turn. My doc added an antidepressant that would help me sleep- even though that is not what it is for- just an added benefit. I have heard/read that sleep is very important to well being and the brain really needs it.

I hope you get to check with your doc and he/she can help you.

Best of luck

• 2 months later...

Hi Sleepyhead,

I'm 4 weeks into my recovery and sleep is a challenge for me as well!

I take the rest when my body demands it. I'm still off work so I have the luxury of napping in the morning or afternoon (I feel like my 6 mo. old nephew some days). I'm not sure if this is available where you live and certainly ask your doctor first, but Gravol works for me. It was designed for motion sickness and nausea but it makes me sleepy and works well taken right before bed.

I also believe in winding your body down starting after dinner. Herbal tea, relaxation, meditation, limited TV, no screens of any kind 1 hour before bed (those blue screens rev us up), a bath (but not too close to bed), comfy pajamas. Reading also sends me off. No caffeine after my morning coffee also helps.

Best wishes for a good night's sleep.

Alison

• 8 months later...

For some reason, Benedryl (sp) really works for me.  I used to get it via Advil PM before the SAH.  When I was in the hospital in pain, they would try Percocete (SP) and Morphine, but then it would be Benedryl that would help me sleep.

As always, check with your doctor before trying any new meds, even non-prescription, especially if you are taking others.

Also, for some reason Benedryl has the opposite effect on my wife.  Makes her twitchy and restless, so I guess it varies.

• Like 1