New member introduction janeyp

Janeyp

Hi I am new to the group ,my name is jane and I had a huge bleed 14 years ago ,my aneursym measured 18mm and was coiled successfully .At that time I was told I had a small aneursym behind my other eye measuring 3 mm, after suffering severe headpain before xmas I had a mri scan which showed my small existing aneursym was now measuring 10 mm which was next to another at 7 mm and then a third in my central artery measuring 6 mm .The third is being coiled in three weeks time due to location but as my others are apparently sight threatening against life threatening at present the surgeon is suggesting monitoring these six monthly as the location requires a stent which is supposedly more risky than leaving at present .Unfortunately when I had my bleed 14 years ago I lost sight in one eye already and one of my arteries was blocked completely leaving me with two arteries therefore causing the complications ,I'm 43 years old and struggling to come to terms with this news ,I'm not worried about the operation as know this is low risk but don't know how to live with these two remaining ones ,please help x

Hi I am new to the group ,my name is jane and I had a huge bleed 14 years ago ,my aneursym measured 18mm and was coiled successfully .At that time I was told I had a small aneursym behind my other eye measuring 3 mm, after suffering severe headpain before xmas I had a mri scan which showed my small existing aneursym was now measuring 10 mm which was next to another at 7 mm and then a third in my central artery measuring 6 mm .

The third is being coiled in three weeks time due to location but as my others are apparently sight threatening against life threatening at present the surgeon is suggesting monitoring these six monthly as the location requires a stent which is supposedly more risky than leaving at present .

Unfortunately when I had my bleed 14 years ago I lost sight in one eye already and one of my arteries was blocked completely leaving me with two arteries therefore causing the complications ,I'm 43 years old and struggling to come to terms with this news ,I'm not worried about the operation as know this is low risk but don't know how to live with these two remaining ones ,please help x

Hi Janey,

Welcome to BTG!  

Well, you've certainly made an introduction here.  I have been coiled, however, you appear to have suffered a lot more than me.

Mentally, you must be going through the mill at the moment and I can certainly empathise with that mental trauma.  Your current situation is obviously of great concern, but at least your doctors are cognisant of that fact and are monitoring you carefully.

Keep in touch with them regularly and discuss your forthcoming operation thoroughly.  Remember that a lot of people are walking around quite happily ignorant of the fact that they are living with unruptured aneurysms, oblivious to it all.  In fact, I was that way until I fell ill.  I didn't even know what a SAH was before I had it.

If those aneurysms are there, then they've been there for a while, you just didn't know about them and nothing has changed except you are now aware of them.  What you need to ask of your doctors is what the effect of your forthcoming operation will be on the remaining aneurysms.  Is the risk increased or diminished by the operation?

Is the stent a definite, or just a maybe?  Is the coiling likely to affect whether a stent is necessary or will it relieve the complications?

My heart goes out to you, it really does, but you really need to get answers from the doctors who are to treat you.

I would write down all the questions you want answering, because if you just try to remember them you will forget because of the emotion and nervousness when you are face to face.  Get someone to help you write them down and go with you, who knows they may come up with some more!

I have suggested some questions above, off the top of my head, but you need to sit down and have a good think.  Please don't bottle everything up though, keep talking to people and we are always here too, should you want to discuss or have a rant or whatever!

We're always here, please keep in touch and we will do all we can to help.

Good luck,

Macca

• Like 3

Hi Jane a very warm welcome to BTG :)

I am so sorry you are having to go through this all again bless your heart xx

Thank goodness you went and had the MRI scan and are now being closely monitored.

Such a very difficult time for you especially with the worry of your sight and the two remaining aneurysms....sending lots of positive vibes your way and a huge hug.

Wishing you well for your coiling in 3 weeks time and hope you get more answers.

Glad you found us, keep in touch and yes we are always here.

Take care xx

• Like 4

Thankyou for your kind replies ,I've asked the surgeon how the blood thinners taken prior to my op and how the op itself may effect my other aneurysms but he said they will be ok ,since I've left the meeting there are lots more questions ive thought of but I'm going to ring and speak to somebody in the next few days . My main worry is the size of the two remaining ones ,the surgeon said above 12 mm is classed as large but they feel rather large to me.

I'm suddenly getting headaches on that side but have to admit think I'm probably bringing them on with the stress as they didn't appear till after I found out about the aneursyms ,the op in three weeks will be coiling ,the 7 mm one at the front if starts to bleed will be coiled but the 10mm needs a stent ,the surgeon said there is a risk with a stent moving therefore they will only operate if the aneursyms have grown in another six months at the scan.

I suppose I'm lucky that if they bled I may be blind but hopefully alive ,thanks again ,it's good to talk x

Maybe the coiling will take the pressure off the other two!  Write your questions down so you don't forget any and record the telephone call if you can so you can go back over what they say to you!

Try not to worry about things that might not happen - don't let your imagination run away with you - if you have a problem talk it over with a doctor, a friend, us, anybody but please don't bottle it up!

We're always here.

Macca

• Like 1

Hi Jane,

As the others have said you must feel worried to say the least.

My Surgeon said do not stress. it's okay for him to say.

You must feel down but better they found them ?

I do not know what to say apart from thank goodness they found them (as Macca said).

Keep away from any worries and Good Luck xx

Love

WinB143 xx xx

• Like 1

Hi Jane, and welcome to BTG.

I'm really sorry that you are currently having to come to terms with recently finding out about these aneurysms, I can imagine such news is pretty tough to deal with and hope you have friends and family around to help support you. 

I have a 2nd aneurysm close to my opthalmic artery which measured 3 or 4 mm (can't remember which) at the time of my bleed 6 years ago for which I have regular scans to check it out, so I can appreciate how devastating it must be to suddenly be told what you have been.

I hope you get some answers to your questions to allay any fears and I wish you well with your forthcoming operation.  

Sarah

Thankyou so much for your warm welcomes ,I'm just about to start the blood thinners this coming week after receiving another letter getting things moving from the hospital ,I will keep you all posted as I get my date for surgery ,I'm very fortunate that nottingham have a fantastic reputation for neurosurgery ,thanks again xxx

• Like 2