Alison - New Member - Grateful to find this website.

Alison2015

Hi Alison,

A warm welcome to BTG.

It must be nice having peace of mind knowing you have some savings to perhaps help ease back into work more gently.

It'll need some serious thought and planning to work out what's the best phased return for you.

I went back to work 14 months after my SAH, I had to get back, couldn't afford to be off any longer and worried I'd loose my job, with hindsight I did go back a bit too early. But I did it!!

There's a really good thread on here called 'Back To Work', well worth a look but warning... It's a very long thread!

Take things at your own pace, plan in proper breaks, keep communications with employers open and clear.

Be very proud that you are even attempting to return to work.

Take care and keep smiling,

SarahLou Xx

• Like 1

Has anyone heard of sharp, shooting body pains post SAH?

Not sure if this is a side effect of coming off steroid meds or part of SAH recovery??

I was woken this morning at 4am with sharp pains moving around my entire body. It has subsided a little but I'm still extremely achy.

It was a scary feeling. Nothing like flu or overuse/exercise pains.

Hi Alison I had something similar in my early part of recovery. It really scared me and i went into panic mode. 

My husband took me straight to hospital where they gave me all the tests and a lumbar puncture. Not pleasant but the results came back all clear and I started to relax. I am sure for me, it was brought on by anxiety. So many weird aches, pains, creaks and feelings during recovery.

Please go and get checked out for peace of mind if you are still extremely achy.

Wishing you well,

Take care and let us know how you are doing xx

Thanks Tina for your post.

My incident was only 2 weeks today. Maybe my body is feeling the trauma for the first time without any meds.

My Mom is coming to stay with me today and tonight. If this feeling doens't subside today, we will go to our local hospital.

I do have anxiety issues at the best of times, so I'm thinking that's part of it too.

• Like 2

Hi Alison

I had very sharp pains in my legs and bottom after my SAH. Was particularly bad after a nights sleep. If you are worried get it checked out. Hope you are progressing ok other than these pains.

Clare

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, Hope you are all well and enjoying some spring weather. We had hail here today in Ontario! Crazy!

So a little update ... I had a visit with my family doctor, who confirmed my 'flu' like symptoms were indeed withdrawal from coming off steroid drugs. I was on a high dosage and even with weaning off, my body suffered. I have a new found respect for anyone coming off drugs or alcohol. But during that time due to the muscle weakness and pains, I couldn't look after myself properly, so I moved over to my Mum's place (we live in the same city) for a couple of weeks. Feeling much better.

I think it helps to surround ourselves with loved ones. I was feeling too isoloated and lonley in my apartment and it wasn't helping the emotional side of my healing. I mentioned in a previous post that I already suffered from anxiety and panic attacks (although I haven't had a panic attack in almost 2 years). I started to feel extreme anxiety last week and a little into this week. Extreme restlessness, couldn't sit still, like I was anticipating something. It was awful and it would last all day.

My doc gave me a light sedative in case of emergency. I only took 2 tablets in 2 days and decided I would just have to wait it out. Keep busy, go for a walk, do dishes or meditate. I never thought in my life I would be one to meditate but I found it about 2 years ago in yoga to help me cope with my anxiety and boy has it come in handy! Just being still, focussing on your breath, taking true breaths from the depth of your belly to the top of your lungs. It really does help.

There's an Italian expression that I just love ... 'Dolce far niente' - 'the sweetness of doing nothing'.

Enjoy the sweet moments of life.

The ones that have nothing to do with TV or computers.

It could be as simple as sipping coffee and looking out the window :)

Alison

• Like 5

Hi Alison,

Thank you for your update, it's been good to hear how you've been getting on.

I'm glad that you've been able to surround yourself with loved ones, their strength becomes your strength.

It sounds like you're doing well, many positive steps in the right direction.

Have patience and understanding with yourself though honey, you will get there.

Meditation is such a help isn't it, it's something I found a few years back, and I can not put into words how grateful I am that I did.

I love the Italian quote by the way!

Stay positive Alison, you're doing fab, be very proud of yourself.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

• Like 2

Hi Alison, I think you are doing great! Keep positive and relax! We are here to support you! :)
I just got off the steroids, I was only on then for a week so I don't have much withdrawal. I do have a pressure type feeling in my head and a slight headache each day but I hear it is normal.

One thing that surprises me yesterday was a panic attack.....I had a busy day and had my granddaughter over visiting and started feeling anxious, it was terrible. I don't know of this is normal post coiling or if the whole experience is just catching up with me?? but today Im feeling okay..... I think I will try some meditation/yoga as you had mentioned.

• Like 3

Hi Debbie,

Thanks! I'm trying to take this all in stride.

I'm only a month into my recovery (no surgery, it was a NASAH) but I get random headaches and pressure spots as well. Strange sensations in the head; unlike any other feeling I had prior to this. I've done quite a bit of reading on SAH, people who've had surgery and those who have not and seems like anxiety, depression and panic attacks can be par for the course. A stressful situation was given to us and our bodies react. Like a post traumatic stress syndrome.

Although my doctor gave me a light sedative for the panic attacks, they made me really sleepy. I would rather feel something than nothing. So I decided to just find alternative ways of coping. I remind myself that a panic attack won't last forever. Meditation is really helpful. Find a quiet spot and just take deep, smooth breaths. When your mind wanders, just come back to your breath. I always picture myself at a cottage, sitting on a dock, watching the lake. I'm sure you will find your happy spot :)

Alison

• Like 2

Hi Alison

I had those withdrawals when they took me off anti seizure meds hospital consultant wanted me just to stop taking them GP said no reduce slowly I still had withdrawals dread to think what would have been like just stopping them :crazy:

• Like 1

I have had a few panic attacks like when my eye had dots like a migraine feel. I say eye as it was only in 1 eye.

Off to the internet I went and read "When breathing imagine the air you are inhaling is a calm blue colour and the air you exhale is a red colour,  so peaceful air in you and mad red out  of you (my terminology).

So I sit here and go "out bad red air ..ahh in peaceful blue air"  and I get weird looks from my daughter and we laugh.

Be Well Alison and all on BTG

Love

WinB143 xxxx

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Alison,

I live in Paris France and have very recently emerged from a six week hospital stay following a NASAH. I just wanted to say that your doctor putting the cause down to a nasal spray (amongst others)  reminded me of something one of the neurologists said to me here.

He lined this kind of product up in haemorrhage risk terms with that of abuse of substances for example ... So I "heard" him even though I had not used this type of product recently. I think these products are not as inoffensive as they are portrayed. Just thought you might be interested in hearing the same information from someone else.

How are you feeling ?

Best,

Sammy

• 1 month later...

Hi Sammy, 

My apologies for not writing back sooner. I haven't been logged in for a couple of months now. 

Medications are a tricky thing. They are given to us to help with one ailment but can cause a host of others. I suppose all meds carry risk. Interesting you heard the same thing on nose sprays. Never again for me. 

You were in hospital for 6 weeks?! I feel lucky I was only in for 5 days. 

My recovery was slow at first but then I felt quite 'normal' after 2-3 months. I'm almost at the 6 month mark and I'm noticing some re-occurring symptoms i.e. pressure in the head, tender at the small of my head where the vein bled and general fogginess. I'm in the Toronto area and we've had a lot of humidity this summer and I'm wondering if that's contributing to it. 

I hope you are doing well. 

Alison 

Hi Alison, I have a question regarding the nasal sprays you are referring to. I also use a couple sprays for my allergies, flonase and another steroid spray. I haven't heard anything about sprays causing aneurysms or bleeds until now and of course it concerned me since I have had an aneurysm coiled 5 months ago. Since I have had such bad allergies and a sinus infection that of course I have been using the sprays daily.

I gave a call into my surgeons office directing this question to him. Can I ask which nasal sprays you are referring to? Maybe they are different then mine and I can rest at ease. Thank you. I hope that you are well.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, 

I actually kept the bag of drugs I was on at the time of my bleed. It reminds me what I can no longer take. 

I had really bad flu bug, sinus and ear infections at the time so I was on lots of stuff. The label has a generic drug name so I will google the name and find out the brand name. I will get back to you on that. 

My neuro doctor said nose sprays can put strain on veins and arteries. I'm not allowed to even take sprays for my seasonal allergies anymore. 

I will get back to you soon on the name! 

Alison 

• 4 weeks later...

Steroid sprays- I have been concerned about the steroid sprays I have been using for a few years now, so I asked my neuro surgeon if he had any information that they can cause cerebral aneurysm? He said that there isn't enough evidence to support that theory.....he didn't say they couldn't either "safest answer I suppose" I do believe I will stop taking them.

I have severe allergies and will probably suffer but without a definitive "no" they do not cause aneurysms from my doctor I feel uncomfortable taking them....why take the chance?

Thank you both Alison and Clare for your valuable information. Take care.

I'm coming up on 6 months post coiling so I have my cerebral Anglogram scheduled for November 5th, I'm praying everything including the aneurysm they did not coil is in-tacked....no growth! Take care all, I will keep you posted on the out come.