Alison - New Member - Grateful to find this website.

Alison2015

Hi Everyone, Greetings from Canada! 

On Saturday March 28, 2015 at 5:30pm I experienced the 'thunderclap' headache.

I was heading out for my 40th birthday party and instead of climbing into a limo with friends and family, I had my first ambulance ride to our local hospital. Within an hour I had a CT scan and they thought it was an aneurysm so they transferred me to the trauma hospital the next city over. Within 2 hours, I had another CT scan with dye and they determined it was not an aneurysm but a small bleed to the brain ... SAH. I was in hospital for 4 days, released a week ago, so I'm only 10 or 11 days into my journey.

I was sent home with a good bill of health. But now what? SAH. Never heard of it until 11 days ago.

Google is just scary so I thought I could find a group of people who are going through similar days as me.

And I found this site :)

I was sent home with little information. My follow up neuro appt. isn't until the end of May. I will see my GP in the meantime but it would be nice to know what to expect over the coming days, weeks and months. What's normal? headaches, dizziness, fogginess, clogged head, can't stand for too long, can't take noise or too much light. Can't think straight, Can't find words. What is 'normal' in recovery? how will I know if it's bleeding again?

Lots of questions, I know. I don't expect all the answers here, but any stories of your individual recovery I'm sure will help.

Thanks,

Alison

• Like 1

Hi Alison a very warm welcome to BTG :)

Glad you found us.

Not a nice way to celebrate your 40th Birthday bless you.

It's very early days and all that you mention in your post I can relate to. It does get better :)

Everyone is different in their recovery, your brain and body will recover in its own time. You have been through a major trauma so you will need to rest up a lot, drink plenty of water and just pace yourself. An SAH can affect you physically mentally and emotionally.

Feel free to post any question you may have on the Forum and to join in the daily banter in the Green Room.

You will find lots of friendly support here.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Tina xx

• Like 3

Hi Alison

Welcome to BTG. You are still very early in your recovery. I was still in hospital at your stage having suffered an NASAH same as you.

All the symptoms you describe are normal, I had them all including the worry that it's bleeding again. It's highly unlikely I have been told and I must admit I have had headaches but nothing like that first one.

Slow steps are what you need to take. Lots of rest and plenty of water. I am 2 months today post bleed and still off work. However today I am going to make my first solo bus trip - no driving for me, do you have to stop in Canada?

You will improve with time, spend it resting and researching on BTG, that's what I did!

Good luck xxx

Clare

• Like 4

Hello Alison,

It is scary, you have done well,  really well.

As Tina and Clare have said baby steps with lots of water by you.

If you get dizzy (I was told this on here ) legs down first, wait for a while then stand and then wait before walking, pace everything for the first few weeks    (it works)

I wish you well and as my surgeon told me "No Stress"  so just be happy as there is a life after SAH. 

I had op as Anni burst.

This site has helped me and my daughter.

Good luck Alison xx and welcome to BTG

WinB143 xx xx

• Like 3

Good Morning Alison and also a warm welcome to BTG-

I keep finding it hard to believe that so many SAH `rs are discharged with so little post SAH information about the traumatic event and its after effects.

I am a Carer since my wife had her SAH almost 4 years ago- and it wasn`t until last December that I was introduced to BTG by Winnie-

When my wife was discharged in June 2011 she was told that her coiling was successful..............then no more information...I also found the Brain and Spine Foundation SAH booklet very helpful.

As a Carer I would urge you to introduce your close family and friends to this site- it will help them so much in understanding what you are going through in your recovery-and also help them deal with and understand some of the after effects you may face on your SAH journey-

One theme that you will come across time and time again as you read experiences on BTG  is that taking time and patience to let yourself recover is so vital- be positive but don`t push your recovery beyond what your body and mind are telling you is enough- 

As has already been commented- everyone is different and you will pick up so much useful quality information as you get into BTG.

And speak openly about your recovery feelings with those closest to you-

Best wishes

• Like 5

Hello Alison,

Welcome to BTG it is ten months today since I had my SAH

I can only agree with the others, take it easy, plenty of water, plenty of rest.

You have come to the right place for advice and support.

It is 10 Months today since I had my SAH I only joined this group last month

and I have found it a great help as I am sure you will,

It is nice to talk to people who are on the same journey as yourself

You have suffered a trauma and that takes time to come to terms with.

As I have found taking things slowly and listening to your body helps a lot.

Good Luck and keep posting, look forward to hearing more from you x

• Like 4

Hi Alison , welcome to the group and I hope the extreme weather that Canada can offer is releasing its grip so you can get out and enjoy some warmth in your recivery but I suggest a hat if there is still a chill in the wind.

I too was your age when I had my SAH and had to defer celebrations for my fortieth after having a shunt placed later in my recovery and instead ended up celebrating the big 41 but in a more muted fashion than my partying of old so you can plan a new celebration of more than your fortieth now and look forward to that !

Take things steady, it seems most hospitals they discharge most pretty quickly after an Sah Unless you had a procedure or more complex bleed with no time to adjust but all of us are left struggling to understand why this bleed on the brain makes you feel so blurgh and not knowing what's normal or to do and frankly pretty scared.

You have had good advice already, read some older threads and ask anything that worries you. As Tina says it does get better and always look forward if you can.

Do you have family who understand and are helping? Hope so. Take care

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and notes of support.

I posted last night before bed and woke up to all your notes which brought tears to my eyes. Good tears.

That's another thing, I'm not usually a crier but everyday since I've been home, I've cried. Cards, movies, forums :) It does take an emotional toll doesn't it?

The other thing I find comforting is that I found a support group that seems to be heavily UK-based. I have British citizenship as well as Canadian. My Dad was from Tottenham and immigrated to Canada in his 20's where he married my Mom and raised his family. My Dad passed away 14 years ago from skin cancer. All his family is still in England i.e. Kent and London. So to read the support from across the pond means a lot.

I have my Mom and sister nearby but I'm not married and I don't have children and live alone. So it's a little lonley and isolating. I've gone from working full time, driving, exercising, being productive to a full stop of rest. I can't drive or work for a minimum of 3 weeks but that's early days, could be longer. Not quite sure what to do with myself. Can't do too much of anything and it's frustrating.

Has anyone been told the 'why'? why did this happen?

• Like 3

I came from Tottenham and moved to Kent also Alison.  Wow small world.

I had an Aunt who had a brain op, but I was under 10 when she had hers and her son also had a bad head but surgeon said "No, I mean immediate family" meaning my Parents/Brothers and Sisters??   not cousins and Aunt.

I never argued with Surgeon,  as after all he saved my life (I wanted to though) ha  xx

You do get teary, I was today I said bye to my hubby and felt all sad for myself (Huh that self pity can be a so and so, as we/Hubby worked together before SAH)

You'll be okay xx Stress is a no no xx so relax and be happy if possible as my answer to all ills is singing !!

You have yet to have a song off me !!  poor you xx

Love

WinB143

• Like 2

welcome Alison, I too AM grateful for this website it has helped me tremendously. I have an untreated basilar tip aneurysm which I am going to have surgery on April 16th. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that you have found the perfect place to find friends as well as commonality dealing with the same issues. good luck on your recovery and God bless.

Debbie

• Like 3

hi alison.glad to hear your ok. you will find btg great for finding out answers to your questions.

i had basilar tip aneurysm last year.and struggled to get any information from doctors etc.

recovery takes a while,does get better.

take care rob

• Like 3

Welcome Alison take things easy recovery can be slow but everyone is different.  Why is something I will continue to ask, I had a dissection of an artery, but no-one has been able to tell me why.  I had been working out quite a bit at the time, personally I think I may have pushed myself too hard. All a bit of a mystery, no aneurysm.

Any questions just ask.

Take care. 

• Like 2

HI Alison,

A very warm welcome to BTG!  This is a British based group but there are members from all over the world!  So borders are irrelevant in some ways.  There are very different medical systems of course from country to country and we can't give medical advice.  But we can re-count our own experiences.

The question we all ask ourselves is "What is 'normal' anyway?  It's different for everyone.  Someone will have experience all or some of the things you mention, but the brain is complex and creates many moods and swings and situations.

But there's always someone on here that's experienced at least one of the things you say and if we haven't then we're all ears until we get to grips with the new one!

What I would say though, is if you are worried, don't be shy, go straight back to your doctor or the hospital that treated you.  Other than that we're always here as a source of support and guidance.

As to why, I think it's possibly just a general weakness in your system that blew a gasket!  There are theories that stress can help to bring it on, but there is no way of measuring stress because it is different in everyone, just like this condition.  So we can't definitely blame it on stress!  Who knows.  The fact is, it happened, and we have to pick ourselves up and get on with things (that sounds terribly British doesn't it?) until answers are found.

Although the bleed happens, it's effects are wide ranging and long lasting - sometimes life changing, sometimes not.  However, the trauma affects everyone differently too and some need more support than others.  That's why we are here, for you, for me and for everyone who needs us.  

Glad to have you on board and we'll watch out for your posts.  The road to health is a slow one, it's not a race, so you are the tortoise not the hare!

Good luck Alison!

Macca

• Like 4

Alison, You asked ' what to do with myself ?'

Here's My experience of what can help when our life speed dial gets turned down in the blink of an eye and everything changes.

Congratulate yourself on every achievement no matter how small.

Try to set small stretch goals each day, it could be really simple like how many glasses of water you are drinking but having a sense of accomplishment in everyday tasks is good in my experience and helpful early on but don't worry if you don't meet them, there's always tomorrow.

Pace yourself and then practise being very good at this new slower speed that you need to keep to for now. You'll find your new rythmn in time, it may be different to before but try to embrace it and find something in it.

Look up, look around, notice what's happening, what you see with season changing

keep a diary of how you feel at this odd time.

Read something you've always wanted to but in small bursts and only if you can.

rest often, eat regularly , drink plenty.

Phone a friend and ask for company if you fancy it, not if you don't, don't sweat it.

See if there is free bus travel whilst you can't drive or local support to get places if you feel up to an outing out.

Smile daily even when there's tears, there is lots of tears!!!

Main thing though is Be kind to yourself. It wasn't a broken leg, it was a bleed on the most crucial element of your body and self and so that deserves some TLC in my book whilst you navigate your recovery and see how it pans out for you.

• Like 5

Hi again,

I had my first family doctor appt. today since the incident. He was floored considering my good previous health. He actually delivered me and I was one of his first babies so we have almost a father/daughter relationship. He spent an hour with me today. Just talked through the events, looked at my test results, asked how I was doing? how I was feeling/my mood?

It felt good to be treated like a person and not a case. He's asked I take at least 4 weeks off work at minimum and he wants to see me every week. It felt good to see a doctor that knows me and all my history and my family.

Dr. said this must be driving you nuts! :) Someone who is always busy and on the go has had to stop to a glacial pace. Maybe this was a sign to stop, slow down and really evaluate my life. And a broken toe or leg doesn't make us think twice, but a brain injury certainly does.

I love the 'British talk' in the forums. I was raised very much this way. Get on with it, pick yourself up. Have a cuppa :)

Thank you to all for your well wishes and comments. I feel the support all the way over here.

Corrie's on soon ... gotta run. Cheers.

Alison

• Like 3

Oh, almost forgot. I asked the 'why' at my doctor's. We have no medical history in our family of brain injury, aneurysms etc.

The doctors in hospital felt it could be attributed to the flu I had 10 days prior and still feeling under the weather the day of the bleed. I was on antibiotics for sinus and ear infections plus a nose inhaler for sinus. Plus I was taking those advil cold and flu tablets which have an ingredient hard on the blood vessels. it was like a cyclone of events. My family doctor concurred.

Crazy. All prescribed and available over the counter.

• Like 3

Hi Alison,

You poor dear thing, I know exactly where you are because I have been right in your shoes as other here have been as well. You sound like you had a non aneurysmal SAH. Mine was a grade 1 bleed from an unknown source. Never determined where the bleed originated and stopped on its own. I was told this type of bleed may be a venous type bleed that obliterates itself and most likely weakened and ruptured. Rare and hopefully will never happen again.

Be kind to yourself. I felt dizzy for a very long time and headaches and stress did not help. Take it slow so your healing brain can heal give it time to figure out what the heck happened.

Take care,

Iola

• Like 1

You will be fine Alison,

I sent a message to Sandi k on here as I think she is from Canada.

My Doc doesn't look me in the eyes when I go round to see him so you are lucky xx and he drops all my notes on his floor.

I give up !! lol

Just get well and laughter, music and being alive is so good isn't it xxx

Hi Alison

warm  welcome to the site, glad that you found us.

No not a nice way to spend your special birthday, I had my SAH 3 months to the day after I turned forty...

Sandi is from Canada and a few others that I can't remember off hand but definitely Sandi.

take things slow and easy it'll all improve slowly..

take care

A belated welcome Alison.  Not the best way to start your 40th birthday celebrations - plenty of time later to catch up with that - for now, you need time to recover and this is where there are no set rules!

I'm sure you'll be finding your way round this site and gaining a lot of useful information along the way, much of which you will be able to relate to.  

It's nice that you have a good doctor on board who is keen to see you each week - that's reassuring - when the time comes to return to work though, just be cautious - 4 weeks might sound like a good stretch, but many on here have regretted going back too soon and found it a struggle. I had 5 months off before returning and at that point was only returning to a job I did two days a week! 

Best wishes,

Sarah

Thanks for the welcome, Sarah!

I've been off work for 2 weeks now, my doctor's note takes me until at least May 7, without promise of returning. I don't have full pay at work now and am not sure what they can do for me if I'm off longer. I live alone and am the only source of income. I'm grateful I have savings! Trying not to worry about $$$ :)

I think a gradual return is in order as well. A few hours a day, and just see how it goes! That's all we can do.

Alison

• Like 2

That's a sensible approach Alison.

Maybe you should discuss things with your employer to forge a way forward rather than just leaving it and hoping for the best.  I find it's always best to engage with people.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Macca

Alison,

I too had no aneurism that could be identified.  It is scary at first.  You wonder at every little feeling.  I called my doctor several times because I had never experienced such weird stuff.  I too cried all the time!  All the time.  That gets better, but even now, I can cry really easily some days over nothing.  I am able to take a step back and watch and not judge it and see how it is some sort of release that needs expressing.

Take it easy and yes I was so board, but yet I couldn't physically do things, so there is a whole other you to explore.  The latent you.  Find out who it is.

~Kris

• Like 2

Hi Alison

Hope you are ok and starting to feel a little less inhuman! Hopefully that woolly feeling is going off now and you are not so tearful. I too am looking at a period of no salary. My firm pay for the first 11 weeks but it looks like I will need longer than that which isn't helped by a pre-booked holiday. Still after being initially upset about not returning to work until nearer the end of May I have decided to use the extra time building up my strength so I am fit when I do go back. Plus I will get a week in Menorca with my husband and a friend so it's not all bad!

You will still be fairly early to return to work at the beginning of May so take care. It's hard when you are the sole earner but as my best friend keeps telling me - 'its your health that's important not your salary'. Anyway what did we save for?

Good luck, keep posting.

Clare xx

• Like 2