New Member - Debbie

Hello all,

Before I start, I would like to say how much this site has helped me through the last few months.

I've read a lot of the topics on this wonderful site for while now and because I'm a bit concerned I've finally put pen to paper (shows my age haha!)

I had a SAH on 11th sep 2014, and without going into too much detail, eventually ended up in QE hospital Birmingham.

I had my aneurism coiled and spent 17 days in hospital recovering. Thankfully I have recovered quite well, but have the shivery feelings on the left side of my head with stabbing pains now and again and like a heavy weight pressing down on top of my head. I had severe head, leg and back pain from the leaking blood whilst I was still in hospital, but the headaches were virtually gone by about 6 weeks.

There are a couple of questions I would like to ask.

I know we are all told to drink a lot and I really struggle with this - probably only one to one and a half litres per day at the moment, and still I need to use the loo a lot. Whilst in hospital I was made to drink 3 litres of fluid a day. I can laugh about it now, but eventually I had to wear incontinence knickers (made me look like a sumo wrestler :lol:  :lol: ) because, although I was in a side ward with my own toilet, I couldn't make it in time.

The first two weeks when I couldn't walk were really exhausting having to keep ringing for the nurse to take me to the toilet  Looking back, was that an excessive intake or is my bladder too small?

During the last 6 weeks or so I have started feeling dizzy and disoriented with nausea. I have lost weight and have a hit and miss appetite. I had to go to Birmingham about 10 days ago for my follow up MRI and have now had an appointment to see the Consultant Neuro Radiologist this Wednesday (15th). They have requested a urine sample for that day - is that a normal request for a follow up appointment?

Perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid about everything, but last week I suffered my first ever panic attacks out of the blue :( (I assumed they were panic attacks - felt like I wanted to scream, but if I did I wouldn't be able to stop) - and I don't feel depressed about anything in particular - are depression and panic attacks linked? It was horrendous, scary, and I don't want to feel like that ever again.

Hopefully It's all ok and I am worrying needlessly. Perhaps you can ease my mind a little.

Thank you for listening

Debbie

Good to see you posting Debbie and welcome to BTG.

Often with any medical appointment a urine sample is requested as a matter of course. Alternatively they could be concerned about your frequency. Did you have a urine infection whilst you were in hospital? If so that could also be the reason. This is just speculation and I am sure you will have thought of all that.

To drink at least 3 litres of water a day is the usual recommendation after a SAH to keep you hydrated and so help the healing process. It also helps to alleviate headaches that are common after such an event. 

It could be concern over your forthcoming appointment that has caused the panic attack that you describe. The brain is a weird and wonderful organ that after an injury can cause all sorts of things to happen.

As for the dizziness etc. it may not even be down to your SAH. I think that we have all, at times, blamed it for many other symptoms, when in fact it is something totally unrelated.

The advice is to write a list of everything that you are concerned about and take it to your appointment just to give you a nudge reminding you to tell everything that has happened and is happening. They are the professionals and should be able to answer your questions and if they can't will refer you to the appropriate medics. 

It would be lovely if you came back to us, especially after your appointment, to let us know how you have fared and any answers you may have got. They may well help someone who is experiencing the same as yourself.

As we are not qualified medically we obviously cannot give you any medical advice but can support you as and when/if needed.

• Like 6

Debbie, anxiety attacks are huge post SAH.... I experienced them and many of us do. There's a fine line between anxiety and depression. Go and speak to your GP about it and they should be able to help. My GP did ... I've never had depression, but the anxiety was absolutely awful... especially in the early months and first few years. I also had seizures/fits before and during my hospital stay and this added to my anxiety.

What you've gone through is something that most people will hopefully, never have to experience ... you might be experiencing a bit of post traumatic stress too? ....  Don't do what I did and sit on it and struggle alone .... go and see your GP and be totally honest with them....it's never a failure to seek help.... that's why this site is here.

I wouldn't worry about your appointment too much ...they're probably checking your health generally, irrespective of the SAH.....each patient case post SAH is always different, but it looks as though they're looking after you.

Don't struggle with the anxiety/panic attacks .... tell your GP and get the help that you need.

Hugs coming your way and I can only say that it will all get better. xxx

• Like 5

Hi lovey ive recently had a second aneursym coiled before IT ruptured after a huge rupture 14 years ago ,the doctors made me drink lots of water to wash the drugs through my system after having anesthetic etc ,water is also good for the healing process ,I also peed excessively whilst in hospital ,it also helps after having a catheter removed after an operation.

I also had to take a water sample to each appointment ,I'm struggling and feeling a little panicy about if I'm going to live to see my children have children and get married which I never experienced the first time I had the operation so think what you're experiencing is totally normal ,hope this helps ,keep well jane x

• Like 1

Hi Debbie, it's great to see you posting after a long time lurking! :)

I can't help much apart from to say that that the medical profession rarely miss a chance to test a urine sample so I wouldn't be surprised if this is standard practise.

Try not to fret too much about things but follow the great advice above as there are some veteran experts here who seem to have buckets of common sense.

Take care and let us know how you get on. I'll be thinking of you

Mandy

• Like 3

Hello Debbie.  It does sound as though you are having some issues with anxiety.  I had terrible problems standing in queues. I also had problems at night when I would wake up with all sorts of thoughts and general panic.  

I can't remember the exact extent of these but I was given medication but this didn't agree with me eventually after quite along time I was referred to a psychologist and although I didn't want to go really it was the best thing for me.  These things sometimes don't go away themselves and although its difficult we do help sometimes. 

Agree totally with Karen's advice speak to your GP.  Better to nip this in the bud.

I don't remember my time in hospital so cant really say about the water intake I do remember rehab but I wasn't encouraged to drink a lot of water. I had a drain fitted though so I didn't have the same absorption of blood to deal with.

I think as long as you drink a little and often you should be fine so long as you don't over stress the kidneys. I also struggle to drink water I've no idea why. Maybe you could try fruit juices and water them down, might help.

Good luck Debbie and any more questions just ask.

• Like 2

Hi Debbie,

I can only concur with what other have said.

I had an infection (UTI) and it was painful or they might want to test you for any pills you are taking ie a sample !!

My hubby and daughter put knickers on me like that, I was so embarrassed ha ha and my husband took most of 1 side so I always woke up peed and I don't mean drunk ha ha,   so I said "let me try liners please" I used a 4 then 3 then 2 now slim line ones.

I still worry about going out and getting caught short,  nice topic lol but this happens (to us)!!

I had a prickly head so I bathed it in warm salt water and it felt better as when my Parents where alive they swore by salt water.

(They swore all the time lol)

You will get there Debbie, never give up xx

Love

WinB143 xxxx

• Like 1

Debbie I used to drink so much and then had to have a bed pan and I overflowed the bed pan countless times, I can laugh at the memory now but it was hard to keep fluids up. Suggest you get in habit of having a drink regularly but going to the loo before you need to , equally maybe try some kiegal exercises I think they are called, to help bladder control , if you had a catheter it can create a bit of stretching....

Anxiety , that feeling of being lost in yourself. Wanting to scream. Just horrid horrid. Please don't suffer and tolerate it as being ok , it can get better, I had numerous sessions of CBt counselling . diagnosed with ptsd and also practice mindfulness and meditation all of which has helped me to get things steady and not overwhelm me so it's not something that just disappears on its own but it will get better in time and with help. The brain just seems to over react to chemical panic more than pre sah

Good luck with appointment

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your positive thoughts - it's comforting to know that you all understand what's going on. I live on my own - apart from my lovely Bertie, he's great just being there for cuddles, and although my elderly parents live near they can't be expected to take on all my problems.

Haha! :)  Mandy, I never though of myself as a lurker before - that really made me chuckle, thank you.

I had a catheter for a few days post op and vaguely remember having to drink a supplement of potassium? because the liquid going in was just going straight through - never thought that a catheter could have caused a problem with stretching. I do also remember that they kept checking for infections in my urine because of the frequency, but not finding anything.

I have started a list of questions to ask at the appointment - which I'll have to remember to take with me ;) and I will make an appointment to see my Doctor later this week to let him know what's going on.

I will let you know how it all went, and once again thank you for your support.

Debbie x

• Like 2

Yes I had that problem with the catheter I seemed to be fine till I had the catheter, mines was in longer than a few days though first time & then when I went in the second time...

List of questions is good, but maybe take someone along with you I found that good as after a while I forget...

• Like 1

Hello Orchid!  I'm a little slow at getting to posts but I want you to know that I have read all of them since your very first one.  First of all I want to say that it is a great idea to make a list every time you got to doctor.  Keep paper by you and list absolutely anything that comes to mind.  

I was in coma for 4 weeks so, thankfully, don't remember the catheter or how much I had to pee for the entire 6-1/2 weeks.  In fact I don't remember anything!  After I went to Rehab floor I saw Psychiatrist and was diagnosed with PTSD which I already had from childhood events.  I never had a panic attack however.  I've known people who have had them and know that they are not a nice thing.  

The dizzy, appetite problems, and weird head feelings seem to be normal and are mentioned in a lot of posts on this site.  You might want to do search and read some of those posts.  I found them very helpful.  By the way I may have to put pen to paper as I suddenly can't type worth a d---.  I used to have my own typing business and had great speed but probably need paper. lol.  Take care.  You are the most important person in your life right now.  Look for help when you feel you need it.  I will very sincerely be praying for your recovery and a happy rest of your life.

Carolyn

• Like 3

Hello everyone,

Thank you all again for your comments - they helped me keep positive yesterday for my appointment.

Well, first of all my support worker was able to come with me to see the consultant (I already have ME and an inherited lung condition which limits capabilities) which made it all a lot easier.

My consultant listened to the symptoms I have been suffering from and, cutting a long story short, did say that it could be a problem with my pituitary gland. Apparently the aneurysm is right next to it, so the bleed might not have done it any favours. Anyway, he's going to write to my doctor to arrange tests for function etc.

Next, onto the aneurysm itself. Aren't the images from the MRI amazing! I did ask if I could take a photo, but no. Apparently I can formally ask for my scan images through some department or other. He was fine about it and said they have to say no because of the risk of them ending up on social media or elsewhere. I digress. The coils inserted have compacted, which wasn't a big shock for some reason, and there is a gap of a couple of millimetres. He is going to have me scanned in 4 or 5 months to see if there has been any change and maybe insert a stent at some stage.

All in all I feel it was a positive outcome - is that strange? I think having worried about it all for months and having these other symptoms, it was good to have him take notice of me and do something about it.

I feel good today and have found myself grinning a lot :-D  :-D . The aneurysm is in the area that affects personality so I'm taking it as a good omen and relishing the fact that I can smile and laugh and not dwell on possible negatives of a personality change. I know that I have been more irritable and short tempered lately but hope that these things will be offset by the funny side.

Take care everybody and thank you for listening

Debbie x

• Like 3

Hi Debbie

I am pleased that you got some answers at your appointment and it is so good you have a positive outlook as it appears you have a hard time. I had a SAH in January and also had coils, I have found myself to be quickly irritated by things that before would have gone over my head. Not sure it's as a result of SAH or frustration at this happening to me. I wish you lots of luck for next appointments and hope they resolve things for you.

Regards

Sharon

• Like 2

Debbie,

We go through all of this and we can still laugh, which is good for us (I think it is).

Keep bright and think of moments when you have laughed so much.  I often think of My Mum and she was so funny and her memories keep me laughing and happy, it is better than stress which is bad for us xx

Glad visit went okay and it's all over with xx Phew sighs xx lol

Good luck

WinB143 xx xx

• Like 3