16 years

Louise

Well I wasn’t going to post but the way life is at the minute not me just general just thought I would.

Its 16 years today (well not till around 7pm tonight) that my life changed, I don’t celebrate it after the first year because the day before my second Ani-versary my Dad passed away so that kind of put celebrating it in the shade, but I do think about it and am so grateful for the life that I have now, the things that I am able to do now.

At one point tying my trainer laces or brushing my teeth were both things that I couldn’t do for myself things that we all take so much for granted.

Recently there has been someone on here that is finding great difficulty in accepting his Shunt and that it will malfunction you know I never gave it a  single thought maybe because thinking was just too tiring with me, I don’t know but I have never thought of it malfunctioning it works it keeps me alive because without my Shunt and my tube I wouldn’t be here they have made me who I am.

Anyway this year my Dad’s anniversary 14yrs on 31st Oct and my SAH  16yrs on 1st Nov, then my Mum’s anniversary on 6th Nov 24yrs for Mum time heals makes it easier but this year it’s different my Dad’s brother has cancer and has be diagnosed also with early dementia my Auntie also has been diagnosed with dementia so its brought all those thoughts back to the front again but although I’m sad and hurting I am no where as fragile as when my Dad was in hospital dying with leukaemia so I know that I have gotten mentally stronger (even though you wouldn’t think it this week from time to time I have been keeping Kleenex going).

But with the years unknown to me I have come to accept things & that I thought would never happen.

I don't know if this makes much sense but just thought I'd share...

• Like 7

Louise - congratulations on reaching 16 years!

Sometimes we forget that other people have problems of their own too and it kind of keeps our feet on the ground and sets things in context.

Life goes on, whether we like it or not, and we have to fight our own battles, whatever they are and wherever they appear.  All we can do is get on with it and support each other so that we may all overcome them and make the most of the gift of life without ever taking it for granted!

Well done for reaching your notable milestone!  I'm nine behind you!!

Macca

• Like 7

Louise my friend, it's a complete pleasure to know you and congratulations on reaching your 16th year :) ... I know what a tough journey it's been for you, but I can also see how far you've come along.... :)

I know that this time of year is always a tough one for you ..... keep your chin up my lovely and thank you for posting. Love and hugs xx

• Like 5

Louise - You are amazing!  16 years!  I can't even begin to imagine that.  You are a tough little cookie.  Having read your posts for the past year and a half or so I want to let you know that you are a very inspirational person.  

I can't imagine how many people you have helped over your 16 years - although, I know there was a lot of hurting in there.  For sure you have definitely gotten stronger each day.  Remember that, too, when you are thinking about your dad, aunt, and uncle.  It hurts but you are strong enough to manage those things.

Take care of yourself.  Think about your next 16 years.  

Much love, Carolyn

• Like 5

Louise,

Sorry about family passing but think how much good you'll do just by letting people know that there is a life after SAH and all the other names we give to them,  a bleed is a bleed is a bleed.

A shunt,   nope not typing that 3 times lol

You have given a lot of people a feeling like this "16 years wow there is still hope for me"  so thanks for this post and happy whatever you  do for your Anni I wish you well in all you do xxx Congratulations Louise

Win xxxxx  ~ Cooey to Carolyn lol  ermm song time for Louise  ha ha xxxx

• Like 8

Louise - just another thought.

When I think of family who have left us, I like to think about how much they brought to my life and I to theirs.  I feel privileged for the time I was allowed to spend with them. Although they are no longer with us, I like to think I added value to their lives and that they enriched mine.  Their legacy is that they helped to shape the person I am now.  

For people who are ill - take the time out to tell them how much you love them - that is something I once regret not doing when I had the chance and it will haunt me forever.

You are a big source of support for the people on here Louise - do it for your family too - and for yourself.

Macca

• Like 8

Hello Louise

Thankyou so much for your frank message about your family.

Well done on 16 years - your recovery has seen you come such a long way in your SAH journey and you are such a great example and encouragement to all of us. Your timely posts always touch the right chord.

Wishing you warmest thoughts as you remember your mum and dad at this time. They certainly would be so proud of their daughter's courage in adversity.

I have only known you for less than a year but it has been a pleasure during my own ups and downs.

Take care and keep strong

Subs

• Like 7

Hi Louise a very poignant post, great you have survived 16 years but tinged with sadness for the losses and memories this time brings about. It sounds like you have had your share of hard times.

As Macca has so wonderfully summed up you must have given and received so much love and happy times with those past and probably those who are suffering now, they have all contributed to the person you are today. They all would want you to live your life to best you can, here's to the next 16 x

• Like 7

Louise, Congratulations on reaching your 16th year lovely lady :) sorry it is also mixed with the sadness of losing your Mum & Dad, thinking of you xx

Thank you for posting, you have helped so many on here over the years, myself included. Your kind & thoughtful posts helped me more than you will ever know.

Take care, love & hugs xx

• Like 2

Louise, it's a bittersweet thing isn't it the anniversary? I hope it wasn't too sad a day.

I agree with the others that your generosity in sharing advice on BTG over the years but also the hope and inspiration that your 16 year anniversary brings others is so appreciated and so positive.

Yes life changed for us SAHers but without fail life also marched on regardless of our trauma bringing the usual heartaches,loss, strife, laughs and highs; and the' hills and dales of life ' is how someone described it to me, but somehow it's those hills and dales that make up the beauty and interest and joys of being here and yes I include living with our lovely life saving shunts as part of the interest!

Take care lovely lady.

• Like 3

Hi Louise,

Many times your posts have given me inspiration and when I've been at some very dark and low points your messages have given me strength, so thank you lovely lady for everything that you do and all that you are. You reach out and touch so many people. Great big hugs to you.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

• Like 3

Congratulations Louise, 16th Anniversary sorry it is tinged with sadness of loosing your parents,

You are a very kind and inspirational person, I know some of your posts have really helped me

with my recovery, your parents would be very proud of you.

You are smarter than you thought,

Braver than you think

And more loved than you know.

Here`s to your next 16 years Louise, stay strong sweet lady,

Love

Michelle xx

• Like 3

I'm sorry I'm a bit late arriving on this thread Louise, but just wanted to congratulate you on reaching and achieving what you have over those past 16 years.  I hope the lovely posts from your friends on here help you in some way to get you through this difficult week.

I know you have been a member of this site for some years now and just by looking at the total number of posts you've made indicates your commitment of helping and inspiring others  -  well done :)

Take care,

Sarah

• Like 2

Hey Loubie

Only just caught this thread what with everything happening here.

Congratulations my dear friend - you were a great help to me when I first joined BTG and you've stayed so as well as being a great inspiration ever since.

Much love to you xxx

• Like 3