7 years on and still smiling - just!

kempse

My story part 2!           (The icon that appears 3 times in this post is supposed to be the letter b with  ) round it, but despite trying to amend it, it won't shift, perhaps I'll leave it  :biggrin:  )

Today is 7 years on from that awful day when an aneurysm I never knew I had decided to burst.  It’s not a day I like to dwell on, but I shall never forget the fear that day as my peripheral vision started closing in, just as if I was wearing a horse’s bridle with blinkers on and they were being pushed together in front of my eyes until I could only see what I can best describe as looking through an arrow slit in a castle.

Despite having the presence of mind to call the emergency services, it was a long 11 days before the aneurysm was eventually coiled.

Fortunately the sah didn’t leave me with too many problems - those I do have, I have learnt to cope with. I don’t have headaches and I am very grateful for that. I have probably had 7 MRI/angio scans in total, they regularly check the coiled one and another one which was found at the time of the bleed. I’m sure recovery would have been a lot easier if it wasn't for all the other bad things that have happened around me during the years since my sah.

Supposedly, things happen for a reason – I’ve yet to discover the reason why I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage, why my Mum had breast cancer, why my Dad had a stroke, why my sister had bowel cancer, why my brother in law had a heart attack, why our nephew took his own life, why my 2 sister-in-laws have the same, incurable brain disease, why my husband lost his job, why he and my son have both had cars drive into theirs on different occasions, why burglars have visited my house twice, why when my father-in-law passed away did his son not present his Will to the court and deny his 10 grandchildren their small inheritance, why 2 men decided to drop through the roof of the bank where I’ve worked for 36 years and hold a gun to my colleagues’ heads, before tying them up in a dark strong room – the why’s go on and although I have no answers - life goes on ......

Fast forward to today, 8th November, 2015 and I’d quite like to forget about that coiled aneurysm but I can’t.   A recent MRI showed some recanalisation of the neck remnant at the base of the aneurysm which has slightly enlarged.  I was given two choices, a) have a formal angiogram and proceed with treatment or B) have a repeat MRI scan in 6 months time.  The day I was given these two options my husband was across the city in another hospital in intensive care, so I had no hesitation in choosing option B)  There I was discussing an aneurysm on my basilar artery and hubby had just had major heart surgery to replace his ascending aorta artery, the whole of which was dilated

I’m guessing that taking option B) will result in option a) anyway –  I feel I’m somewhere between the devil and the deep blue sea here.

.I’m also beginning to get concerned for our three children – both parents with faulty vascular systems is surely not ideal.

Pushing all that aside for today, my 7th anniversary, I’d like to say a special thank you to Karen and her team for creating this wonderful site. It has kept me sane since joining in 2010 allowing me to offload in the Green Room – a room which is so welcoming, friendly and often quite hilarious. And finally a big thank you to all the wonderful members on here, past and present. Despite adversity visiting you too, you are a wonderful bunch and have been a great pleasure to know.

Sarah

• Like 8

Wow Sarah - you've had more than you fair share of tragedy and heartache - puts my current predicament into complete perspective (hubby in hospital after a near fatal motorbike crash).  You are truly an amazingly strong woman and after reading the above, a total inspiration to those to feel that sometimes it's all too much to deal with.

Congratulations on your 7th Anni-versary and know that you are treasure and loved by all that have had the privilege to know and meet you xxx

• Like 7

Blimey Sarah,

That's some list!  Congratulations on battling through it all and reaching this day!  Enjoy it!

I worry too Sarah as I have two boys (men now) who have two parents who have had SAH's but we're all still here!

Good luck with all that you face,

Macca

• Like 4

Wow Sarah,

There is me down about my Consultant and you have been through all this xxxx

I feel a fraud for moaning now, so to make it up to you I will sing you a song lol j/k xx

Have a great time and look forward with a smile and a spring in your step if possible.

Lots of Love

Win xx xx

• Like 3

Happy Anni-versary Sarah. You certainly have had a lot to contend with in your life but you are here and strong, I admire you for coping with everything life has thrown at you. I am sure you will cope with whatever it throws at you in the next few months and hope you will allow all your BTG friends to support you.

Clare xx

• Like 3

Phew!  Sarah!  Congrats a million times over for your anniversary!  I read your posts and always love you and posts.  7 years!  You give me hope when, often, I'm not sure I have any.  We all have our problems, I'm sure, but, when I think of my ugly problems, I will forever from now on, remember your list.  Sorry it has been so hard for you and your family.

As Win would say...chin up, take each problem one at a time.  Smile and sing when you can.  I'm working on Scooby Doo soundtrack today.  Having a little fun is a must.  You are so strong - I know you will rise above any problem you may or may not encounter.    Remember - you are tough.  You can handle anything.  You are a tough chicky baby ( ;) ) I'm sorry about your husband.  Really.  But...I would have to pick Option A so you can spend a lot more time with your wonderful husband.  You're right.  One day at a time.

Again...Congrats!

You will figure out the right thing to help you get through this point of your life.  I'm sure of that.

Much love to you and your family

Carolyn

• Like 1

Sarah - 7 years wow, well here's to the next 7 - you are very inspiring and have coped with so much very bravely. I have been helped so much by some of your posts - your family and its health and life ups and downs are very similar to mine and so know it is really helpful to have a neutral safe place to offload.

I will be keeping everything crossed that whatever choice you make re aneurysm will be successful. It sounds as if you deserve some very good fortune for the next seven years, thank you for sharing your journey
Sharon xx

• Like 2

My sincere thanks to you all for your replies with the kind words, love and hugs. It's all very touching.

I was busy liking all the comments, but apologies to those last few who didn't get one as my quota ran out, they were certainly no less liked that the ones before.

I've actually had a rather quiet day - I made two attempts to visit my parents, the first attempt I abandoned due to the main road being closed for some reason. When I did get there I fell asleep!

I was trying to remember earlier if I broke a mirror on the 8th Nov, 2008 ~ just a thought...

Sarah :)

• Like 4

Hey lovely lady,

Happy 7th anni-versary.

Ummmm.... I've broken quite a few mirrors over the years, oooops, that'll be it then!!! If you still have the broken mirror Sarah up-cycle it into something else and then it won't really be broken, will it!?

You my lovely friend, and your family, have been through so many tough journeys. However please remember that it's these experiences that make us into who we are. You are a beautiful person inside and out, you have empathy and understanding, sadly that's something some people never gain. You have been a tower of strength to me in some of my darkest times, checking in with me, asking about my family, when you are facing troubled times yourself. That shows what a wonderful person you are.

You are strong and caring and you will get through whatever life throws your way.

Your strength has become my strength, now let mine be yours.

You will be ok hun, lean on all your friends here on this wonderful site.

Take care lovely lady,

SL Xx

• Like 3

Happy 7 year Anni-versary Sarah,

I'm guessing you will be in your bed by now due to the difference in time zones.  I did want to say, however, that one thing really strikes me when I think of all of your posts that I have read in light of all you have endured with your family these last 7 years, and that is the fact that you have exhibited such admirable grace.  Kudos to you, dear lady.

Fountain of sorrow, fountain of light

You know the hollow sound of your own steps in flight

You've had to hide sometimes, but now you're alright

And it's good to see your smiling face tonight

Jackson Browne

• Like 3

Yes Colleen, I was in bed asleep when you and Sarah-Lou posted last night, but having read them this morning and re-read the others, I must confess they brought a few tears to my eyes - a little overwhelmed by all the responses!

Thank you,

Sarah

• Like 2

Congratulations Sarah on your 7th anniversary, sorry to hear you have had a pretty tough time of it but hopefully there will be better news on the horizon for you.  

You have been on this site for as long as I can remember (well I think so ) and I think you have come along really well over the years.

Sometimes its difficult to pick yourself up after the knocks along the way but I have found that I'm a much stronger person post SAH but with that strength I feel I'm much more caring too. I know by reading your posts that you are too.

Wishing you lots of good luck from now on.

(ps we are only 6 months apart in SAH years didn't realise that after all this time)

Take care Sarah

momo x  

• Like 2

Sarah , heres to the next seven years and hoping they are easier on the system than the ones you and your family have endured in the last seven. I really hope this marks a turn of fortune for you all and life gets, well gets a little steadier and more of an even keel.

Take care x