12 Years Ago Today

Super Mario

12 years ago today my life and that of my family's changed in a split second. After recovery I had to cope with disability which also affected those around me.

I now look on the SAH positively in one respect, no point in brooding, it happened and you can't turn the clock back. A teenage girl once said to me that I have made a new life. How true that is.

The SAH afforded me to live my life as I wanted, without any work constraints doing what I want when I want. That is the bonus.

Because I was no longer able to continue in my job I was retired early, leaving me with the opportunity to continue my love of travel without being restrained by holiday entitlements. Travel I have done, to places I could never have thought I would visit mainly due to high prices. Now I can pick and choose the most affordable.

My whole attitude to life changed 12 years ago, there is more to life than work, work and more work. My motto now is "Live life to the full to the best of your ability, blow tomorrow, it may never happen"

• Like 15

Hi Super Mario,

Congratulations on your 12 year anni-versary, I hope you have a lovely day.

I love your positivity, you have a great out look on life, I hope I can say the

same after twelve years.

It`s nice that you have been able to travel as you have, I hope you have

enjoyed all that you have seen and made some lovely memories.

I loved that you said you live for today and blow tomorrow as it may never 

come, those words are very true.

I`ve had some wonderful advice and support from you since I joined this forum,

I`d like to thank you for that.

I did press the " like " button for your post but it said an error had occurred, ;)

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day,

Love

Michelle xx

• Like 6

Hello SM

Well done on twelve years post your SAH.

So glad you adopted a positive attitude and took charge of your life as you came to terms with what had happened.

Travelling to overseas destinations of your choice must have been so rewarding over the years. Dare I ask your favourite country/city ?

Thanks also for your posts over the past year since I joined BTG.

A nice celebration/ reflection in the conservatory today ?

Wishing you many more overseas destinations.

Subs

• Like 4

Congratulations lovely on your 12th Anni-versary!.... :)

As Macca has already said....you're an example and an inspiration.

You've turned a negative situation into something positive and where you still find much joy in life and I know travel is one of those pleasures and that it brings you much happiness.

My motto now is "Live life to the full to the best of your ability, blow tomorrow, it may never happen"

I agree and it's pretty much my mantra too post SAH .... you can't change what's happened in the past and you can't alter what the future holds ... the SAH has taught me one valuable lesson and that's to live for today.

Thank you so much for all of the help and support that you continue to give myself and all at BTG ....Hope that you're celebrating this evening!

Hugs and love xx

• Like 7

Not celebrating, still have that bug.

SZ, my favourite places are a small village in Turkey where I go yearly if possible and the very tiny Greek islands that are only accessible by ferry, places that are frequented by the Greeks.

Another favourite is Lopud Island, Croatia but it is too expensive now. I actually arrived there by speedboat. All beach type holidays.

Most impressive place I have visited is Petra in Jordan as well as the Egyptian Museum in Cairo where King Tut's treasures are on show, all that gold and the mask is breath taking. The temples along the Nile are awe inspiring.

Nearly forgot, although pre SAH, the Pope's Easter Mass in Vatican City, Easter 2000. Something that will stay with me forever.

• Like 9

Congratulations lovely lady on your 12th SAH Anni-versary :)

I also love your motto SM  :thumbsup:  you are an inspiration to us all !

Thank you for all your caring support and likewise, a pleasure to moderate with you and to have met you.

Here is to more travelling and memory making !

Sorry you are not well enough to celebrate tonight....maybe the weekend with any luck :)

Get well soon

Love & hugs

Tina xx

• Like 4

Congratulations on reaching 12 years. Your motto is a good one and is what my husband and I want to try and follow now post-SAH.

Travelling is also high on my agenda again once I get clearance to do so. Would love to visit Petra and Cairo - my degree is in Archaeology and I worked as one prior to going into teaching. They are definitely on my list of places to go.

Hope you feel better soon xx

• Like 4

Congratulations on 12 years! I love your motto and hope to follow it too.

Keep travelling and enjoying life you are a fantastic flag bearer for us all. SAH changes us and you have found ways to make those changes work to your benefit, you are a good example to everyone as someone who's has made good of a challenging situation.

Hope you feel well enough soon to take a trip to celebrate - you deserve it!

Clare xx

• Like 3

Super!  Your 12th is Super-iffic!  Congratulations young lady.  Keep travelling and have the best times of your life.  You deserve it.  You are a wonderful inspiration to all of us and, for that, I thank you very much.

Take care...Be well...book your flight to Illinois....take Win some chocolate...and more and more and more.  Love life!  You earned it.

Not sure - but I have never seen you at Subs house IRONING his duvet.  That would be a wonderful trip for you - lol.

Love bunches

Carolyn

• Like 5

I was going to type the words to any old iron then had to hush myself  arghhhh

Me and ironing don't mix Subs, passes it back to Subs lol xx

Not for 200 chocs !! lol  ermm maybe though..Nooo Win  Just say No !! lol

Carolyn good to see you on here again xxxx

Miss our sing songs (No one else does ha ha)

Happy weekend all need to get out before rush but Daughter isn't stirring Again !!! lol xxxxxx

• Like 4

SM you and Win were the main reason I joined BTG, two women living with their shunts , getting on with the doing smiling ( and singing) and offering me hope .

I have always enjoyed the matter of factness and honesty in how you replied to people, the practical encouragement and ideas you willingly share and most of all the inspiration to get on and travel and live the life we have been given. I know I wouldn't have dared get on a plane had I not read of your travels and thought, I'm going to try and do that too. I Haven't made it as far afield since as you yet but I hope when I make the 12 year mark I can make a decent comparison.

Thanks SM. Looking forward to the next virtual postcard!

• Like 3

You lot are making me blush  :blush:

Believe you me, I didn't have that attitude in the early days. As time passed I thought to myself, this is stupid, make the most of what you have got. Luckily I am the type of person that has a strong mind set possibly because of all the ups and downs I experienced in my earlier years. I dragged myself out of the mire many times.

I now look on the fact that the SAH did me a favour in many respects. Early retirement, decent pension which enables me to do most of the things that previously I could only dream about, albeit in many cases in a different way to how I would have done them prior to it.

Yes, I use a walking frame, yes, mobility is a struggle but I have learnt to adapt. I have no embarrassment now when I fall whilst out, just hope for a hunky young fellow to come to my rescue and pick me up. :-P

Life can teach us a hard lesson but there is no point in moping about it. Pick yourself up and carry on. :)

• Like 5

I now look on the fact that the SAH did me a favour in many respects. Early retirement, decent pension which enables me to do most of the things that previously I could only dream about, albeit in many cases in a different way to how I would have done them prior to it.

Life can teach us a hard lesson but there is no point in moping about it. Pick yourself up and carry on. :)

This is it.

Thank you.