Neuropsychology Testing

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have finally got around to updating this post after receiving the written results of my neuro-psych testing. As predicted by the psychologist the testing did not show any major deficits. However there have been changes to the my ability to recall visual and verbal non contextual (list format) information.

These results are congruent with the difficulties I reported to the psychologist. The psychologist said I had not done myself any favours by changing jobs after the hemorrhage as the way I now learn has changed. When I returned to my original place of work I slotted back in well and did not find any real problems other than fatigue, this is fairly normal as the work I was doing was ingrained.

However by changing my job and having to take on a lot of new learning I am having to learn new strategies to deal with that. Where as before I could learn things easily now I need more time and have to keep repeating to make sure it 'sticks'. I agree with this as repetition does seem to be only way for me to learn new stuff nowadays.

The report states that the changes represent a slight decline in  my abilities which I am probably more self conscious of and in the process of adjusting to. They are unlikely to be noticed by new work colleagues, only being recognised by family and close friends.

The report states that it is crucial that on-going fatigue is managed as it is likely to impact on my ability to concentrate and emotionally cope. I should avoid performing the same high intensity tasks for long periods.That being the case my senior boss has decided to refer me (with my permission) to Occupational Health within my workplace. I spoke to my neuro psychologist about this and she seemed to think it was a good idea as it will protect me against any unreasonable demands within the work place.

I have now started my checking reaccreditation and with the help of my training manager have drawn up a plan to enable me to complete this with not too much pressure. She has been really helpful and told me not to push myself to do more than the plan as she doesn't want me to fail. So far so good and I am feeling more confident that I can succeed. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I will be done and working in the role I was employed for. :)

I have a review appointment with my neuro psych at the end of this month so hopefully will be able to tell her how I am getting on. Also should have seen Occ Health by then and can make sure proper guidlines are drawn up re my hours working on intense concentration actitivies.

All in all this has been a really positive experience and I am so glad I was given the opportunity to do the tests. It has shown me where my difficulties are and how to deal with them. It has also rattified what I was feeling in the way of fatigue, that it is still ongoing and may be for some time. It's not JUST me getting older! ;)

Clare xx

• Like 8

Thanks for sharing your results Clare.

So glad that you are feeling positive about the experience and comments and well done for accepting their recommendations regarding OH.

Hope you are successful with your checking reaccreditation.....take the time you need to ensure you get there.

No mention then about curtailing your `pounding the beat`  to a mere half hour Subs power walk ! :)

Well done.. you have come a long way and faced up to the challenges of your SAH well

Subs

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had a NASAH on 31/10/15 and lost my job in January 2016. I am now working in self employment about 20 hours per week but used to work about 45 hours per week. An insurance company has arranged for a neuropsychology assessment in a few weeks time. Not sure what to expect or how useful it will be. Anybody got any advice or insights?

thanks

Graham, 

There's lots of different tests, some memory, some logic, and it's assessing any gaps or deficits compared to what they would expect based on your age, your education level and other factors. 

The tests can be pretty exhausting I found, so if you are getting there by car get someone to drive you if you can and rest afterwards. Also I took my MIL , or should I say she took me and she was allowed to sit at the back whilst I took the tests as I had difficulty recalling conversations at the time and it was useful for her to be able to ask questions at the end that I was too tired to ask about.

So my best advice is to go with someone if you can even if it means they are waiting about , drink water, be prepared to be wiped out and that's about it.

I wrote a thread about my testing on here somewhere...my funniest thing is that during mine I got stuck with a thought  which made me want to answer all questions with the same answer  ...banana...which made me get the giggles...but I stopped. Explained what was going on. Took a moment whilst we all laughed and then we carried on. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Thanks Daffodil, I guess my fear is that they will conclude I am ok and will be able to work normally when the reality is that I can manage about 20 good hours a week but used to work 45 ish.  I also feel that I am a bit of a "fraud" when so many people of the BTG forum have had enormous issues to cope with compared to me.

Thank you for the info which is helpful.

• Like 1

Hi Graham

you are not a fraud. I think it is very easy for us to think that after suffering an NASAH. We look fine from the outside function relatively well and seem back to our old selves. But we know that's not the case. The neuro psychology testing will be beneficial for  you I am sure.

Although mine showed that I had no actual deficits it showed that I had suffered subtle changes which had to be accounted for in my work place. Occupational Health have said that theses changes should be treated as a disability and I have to be treated as such. Not saying I am disabled but saying allowances have to be made for me. 

I'm 21 months down the line and still have bad days. I know when enough is enough and I when I have to stop and rest. I'm sure some people think that I 'play on it' but the people I know best know that's not true. Terrible memory, balance issues and fatigue still plague me. 

Dafs is right in everything she says. Take someone with you if you can. You may find the initial consultation is just that and that you have to go back over several sessions for the actual testing. And it will be testing, but it will prove that you are NOT a fraud. 

Kepp us posted. 

Clare  xx

• Like 1