Talks Jill Bolte Taylor: My stroke of insight

Guest linzi

Guest linzi

My friend, sent me this and I wanted to share it with everyone:

Copy of of email, to me, sent from my good friend:

I've just been alerted to a video (18 minutes long), released this month - about having a stroke.

The description of the video says:

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story about how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another.

The video is at http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229 and I thought you may find it interesting.

I was also hoping that you would let me know your opinion of what she says, in the light of your own experience.
She has asked for my views on this... but if I can also, with your express permission, add some other people's views... I can forward them on to her. My friend, amongst counselling, does alot of good work and also loves and cares for me deeply. If we (alebit, different section I know, I am an SAH survivor) can send feedback to my friend... to pass onto Jill and others - it can only, but help I guess!?! Thanku and god bless x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Linzi,

I've just noticed that you haven't had any replies to this post ....I seem to have missed it... I haven't got a sound card on my PC, so I can't listen to anything .... I really need to get it upgraded.

It looks as though Jill has written a book, so I'll do a search for it ...

• 3 months later...

What a facinating insightful lady.........

Before my SAH I had studied asperger syndrome (an autistic disorder my son has) and after SAH I experienced what felt like a lot of the problems he would have experienced with light/sound/touch/and even moods......... I was able to relate my experiences to the two sides of the brain not communicating in their usual proper way and it was strange to actually understand my son's life exeriences even more. I was also aware at the time that other people wouldn't relate their experiences with the brain in the same way I was, I felt I was relating my experiences to the understanding I had learnt about the brain and autistic tendencies. She had a lot of previous awareness of brain problem schizophrenia so I'm sure this is why she could relate her experiences so deeply and differently to others who may for the first time ever become aware of any of them.

My SAH was on the right hand side and I lost feeling and movement on the left, and I felt more physical effects altered, my 2nd craniotomy was on the left hand side and I lost language, recognition, taste and smell, and knowingness, it felt a more mental effect than physical. Thank goodness both sides have repaired themselves as much as I could possible hope but this has taken a very long time!

Laura :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I heard this woman talk on the radio a while ago. Just watched the link and I think she is a very inspiring and engaging speaker. I loved her description while she attempted to call her work for help... I am still chuckling.

Thanks. A really interesting discussion about right/left brain relationship.

Regards

• 2 years later...

Hi , a friend sent me the link to this TED talk today which I watched and I found the experience of an SaH from a neuroanatomist really interesting ( even though i found the real brain bit was a tad freaky). TED have some great and short videos.

I can see from searching BTG that other members found the same video a few years back so just bumping it up the forum.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Edited by Karen
Link not working - New Link provided