Perimesencephalic sah

Hi folks 

4 weeks this Thursday since perimesencephalic sah and I feel dreadful. I've only had 2 days since I left hospital that I felt reasonably ok. For 3 days now headaches double vision agitation and fatique. Still waiting results of post bleed MRI but crossing fingers and toes everything is ok. I feel so agitated but I thinks it's because I have 0 energy and generally feel ill.

I know you guys have all been here but considering I had no operation I was hoping I would feel a lot better by now. My head doesn't feel like it belongs to me it's too heavy for my shoulders 

Welcome to BTG, as many others will say it say great place to get answers and not feel alone in what you are going through.

Four weeks out is no time at all, I was only home 1 week at the point, and I don't think I ventured out of the house or far up off of the sofa at that point. The tiredness and fatigue was ridiculous at that point. I can remember having to split the smallest of jobs down into really bite size pieces so I could feel like I was achieving something with the small amount of energy I had.

You have been laid up in hospital, that in itself without your SAH will weaken you. It does get better, in the early days, weeks and months of recovery typically folks can make good gains quite quickly. The brain is a remarkable thing and recovery carries on for many years. So be gentle on yourself, give it time and things should improve. 

Good luck with the post bleed MRI, and if you re concerned about symptoms speak to your consultant or your GP. 

Greg.

You're very early on in your recovery and it will take time and rest.  Listen to your body and make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Sleep when you can, not when you feel you should (normal sleep patterns may be a thing of the past for a while).

Everyone heals at different rates and has different lasting effects so don't compare yourself too  much to anyone.  Also, someone once said on here "Google is not your friend".  Don't google what has happened and how long recovery should take - as I said everyone is different and there isn't enough known about SAH and NASAH for any information to be universally correct and accurate.

Look after yourself

Hi,

Don't put yourself under pressure and think you should feel a certain way.  It is early, and you will feel tired, rest and drink plenty of water.  I was always asleep on the couch by 4 in an afternoon after doing absolutely nothing, just getting myself sorted was enough.  

One doctor in hospital had a chat with me and he said, you will have headaches and feel tired and that is your brain telling you to rest.  He explained to me that every movement you make, everything you look at and every thought you are having comes from the brain and it has had an injury and needs its own time to repair. The way to do that is rest, close your eyes and give it a rest.  We take our brain for granted and forget how it makes us function.  

Don't rush, it will take time and your own time.  I am 14 months since my perimesencephalic haemorrhage and I can say I have improved, I am still improving but I know I still can be tired after I have been busy.  Don't get worried take a day at a time.

Irene 

Hi Wall,

Give yourself time and drink water and rest.

I couldn't hold myself up so you are doing okay just take it slow and listen to your body and if you feel shattered sleep is good.

I wish you all the best on your recovery and listen to what others have said xx

Win

Hi,  some pretty good advice so far.  I am now 13 months post NASAH and like you had no operation.  It's as I look back over the last 13 months that I realise how much I have improved although at any point in time it felt that progress was minimal.  Take your time and rest is the best advice!

Regards

Graham

Well, I think this is a misconception we all made when SAH entered into our lives...that, 'Surely, it should be over by now!'  

I've only met one person that felt like they were recovering fast and it was no big deal.  THAT is unusual, not that you still feel awful.  If you're measuring time in weeks, then there is almost no way that anyone would feel good at this point.  We've all been there on BTG.  We all thought we'd be OK when we got home.  Some of us felt like we should be OK after we didn't have to go back to the neurologist/rehab doc/neurosurgeon anymore.  Then it was after people who didn't live with us told us we looked and acted normal.

There are stages to getting better and they do come, thank goodness!  You will notice you feel generally better and better over the next weeks, months, and even years like for me.  I kept a log of how I felt and what I was having difficulties with and that helped to put things in perspective as I'd occasionally look over the entries for the last week, month, or year whichever the time period was.  I still do this on a broader scale and with the longer time frames to mark how I'm feeling a given time each year.

Take heart, we are all with you as you work to figure out what this SAH means in your life.  I really do hope you start to feel more stable if not better soon.  Remember soon is just a relative term...don't pressure yourself into defining what that is too...soon :)

Take Care,

~Kris

• 3 months later...

Hi - it takes time you are still very early days. 3 months and then evaluate yourself - I'm 9 months on from my 2nd bleed and for the best part I'm well recovered but still get wierd sensations - I can't overdo exercise - to be honest a day at work wipes me out - but 4 weeks after the bleed I thought I felt OK but when I look back I know I was ill - I feel like my brain turned to a block of ice, as its thawed out I can do tasks much easier and quicker. 

Hope all goes well for you. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I had mine 4 years ago on Sunday.    My dr told me it would take 2 yrs to feel decent.  Not normal as before because your basis of reference has now changed.  I do most everything I did before but fatigue is always there.  I press forward but it is going slow in the first year.  Some folks recover quickly and some not so quickly.   I still suffer from dreaded headaches but I get up every day and go to work.  It is what it is now but there are times of brain wierdness and I'm like, whaaatttt was that!   Rain and barometric pressure beats down on my head.  I swear they could use me as a baraometer and I'd be right most if the time when nasty weather is approaching.  

Take it slow because your engine needs repair and it will fight you if you do not give the brain what it needs, Stimulation when asked and rest when asked.

iola

I was told to take it easy for 3 months until a follow up scan.  Then I was permitted to gradually move back towards normal speed.  It just takes time.  And it is not consistent, but a little physical and emotional roller coaster.  The overall trend is positive, but its a bumpy ride.  Take care, listen to your body and remember you are healing internally. 

If it makes you feel any better, when I was released after my NASAH, I could hardly walk without pain and thought I had bedsores from only 10 days in ICU.  Turns out I developed a nice little set of shingles on my butt (or bum, for you UKers).  So at least you don't have to deal with that!

Chris

• 7 months later...

I’m so glad me and hubby found this site as my hubby is 9 weeks post PMSAH which I know is early days but this really is helping us to realise some of his symptoms at present like the fatigue and anxiety and we know it will get better 

Archived