Various issues after brain haemorrhages - new member - Robert

Robert semple

Wow Robert what a past 24 hours you have had on BTG ! :lol: (well maybe slightly more).  Bet you and your family are glad you crossed paths with us all. As Subs says it is great that you are feeling so positive about the way ahead.

Hope you enjoy the book (let me know what it's like - I haven't read it) and hope you have a fantastic Christmas.

Great that you have that Headway appointment. Lets hope that 2017 is YOUR year when you regain yourself and accept and learn to live with the new normal :wink:

Clare xx

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clare Miller said:

Wow Robert what a past 24 hours you have had on BTG ! :lol: (well maybe slightly more).  Bet you and your family are glad you crossed paths with us all. As Subs says it is great that you are feeling so positive about the way ahead.

Hope you enjoy the book (let me know what it's like - I haven't read it) and hope you have a fantastic Christmas.

Great that you have that Headway appointment. Lets hope that 2017 is YOUR year when you regain yourself and accept and learn to live with the new normal :wink:

Clare xx

Hi Clare,

In the past few days I have seen a real difference in myself,three years of keeping it all in has drained me and my family. Now that I have opened up I have no intentions of stopping. My family have been such a help and in the last few days so has this site.

I had a lovely chat with a girl from headway today and even opened up to a colleague in work about some of my plans. Sarahs father in law has recently suffered an aneurysm. I knew I could offer advice and prepare her for some of the obstacles her father in law will have along with her family. I mentioned this site so hopefully this site, its members, Headway and myself could maybe help another person.

I will start the book over the festive period and I will let you know how it is.

Kind regards 

Robert 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broncothor said:

Robert

Welcome to BTG!  You have already received such great advice that I will keep it simple and offer my prayers and best wishes for you and your family. 

Chris

I agree Chris. lots of great advice from people and carers which is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your prayers and wishes. 

I hope wherever you are you and your family enjoy the festivities. 

Kind regards.

Robert. 

• Like 2

Hi Robert

I've been reading this thread with interest and I am so very glad that this site has helped you to open up.  I had a tough time accepting my SAH and tried to fight it for a while - I was determined not to give this more of my life than it had already taken.  You know what??  As soon as I stopped fighting and accepted who I was and what I could do, it became so much easier.

You've made my Christmas a very happy one knowing that you are now ready to ask for the help you need and deserve.  Believe it or not you've done the hardest parts - you've survived and you've now recognised you need help - the rest should be easier by comparison.

I joined this site ten years ago and back then there were only nine of us, so watching this site grow and help so many people along the way has been a privilege.  I hope you stay in contact with us throughout your journey as it will definitely help others who follow the same path and face the same struggles - it will give them hope and confidence in their future.

Well done xxx

• Like 8

Hi Again Robert,

I hope you, wife and baby have a good Christmas, and all goes well for you xx

Now keep typing when you need to talk to someone as there is always someone here for us.

If not I'll just blabber away lol.  Now get stuck into book, I found my concentration had gone and didn't enjoy reading as much as I used to.

I kept reading over the same lines !! So I sing instead..my poor family.

Good luck and enjoy Christmas xx

When tired just have a lay down.  Hark at me telling you how to live !!!

Take Care  and I'll shut up

Best Wishes to you and Family

Win x

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Winb143 said:

Hi Again Robert,

I hope you, wife and baby have a good Christmas, and all goes well for you xx

Now keep typing when you need to talk to someone as there is always someone here for us.

If not I'll just blabber away lol.  Now get stuck into book, I found my concentration had gone and didn't enjoy reading as much as I used to.

I kept reading over the same lines !! So I sing instead..my poor family.

Good luck and enjoy Christmas xx

When tired just have a lay down.  Hark at me telling you how to live !!!

Take Care  and I'll shut up

Best Wishes to you and Family

Win x

Hi Win,

Thank you very much.

Something had to change, as I said in previous posts I am now living with parents purely because it became too much for my partner to live with me unrelaxed. I still look after my kids at our family home at night and have become used to the small changes my partner has made around the house to make the home a more relaxed environment for all parties.

I even managed a nap with my son earlier and we both woke up smiling. I am learning that rest is key, my partner encourages this. I fully intend to keep in touch with this site, as this site amongst other positive changes, is what has given me the realisation that I must adapt to the new me. My plan Is to talk more positively about my accident.

There have been highs and a lot of lows. I know I can help other people and I salute every person who has helped along my journey. Looking forward to my first meeting at Headway.

Enjoy the festivities whatever you get up to Win.

Kind regards 

Robert 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Skippy said:

Hi Robert

I've been reading this thread with interest and I am so very glad that this site has helped you to open up.  I had a tough time accepting my SAH and tried to fight it for a while - I was determined not to give this more of my life than it had already taken.  You know what??  As soon as I stopped fighting and accepted who I was and what I could do, it became so much easier.

You've made my Christmas a very happy one knowing that you are now ready to ask for the help you need and deserve.  Believe it or not you've done the hardest parts - you've survived and you've now recognised you need help - the rest should be easier by comparison.

I joined this site ten years ago and back then there were only nine of us, so watching this site grow and help so many people along the way has been a privilege.  I hope you stay in contact with us throughout your journey as it will definitely help others who follow the same path and face the same struggles - it will give them hope and confidence in their future.

Well done xxx

Hi Skippy,

Thank you for reading with interest.

It's clear that myself and you maybe suffered similar setbacks now. The more I look into this I am learning that even now after all that's happened in the last few days I still really really struggle with the severity of what happened to me. I still treat it as though it was a sore head.

The fact a doctor told me I was not going home after the first day in hospital as he did not understand why I was not dead and if I didn't treat the recovery properly then I still could be. That should maybe have been my realisation of the severity. 

I would need to look out all my medical files on this as I even chose not to read mine. I know mine was frontal lobe haemorrhage along with one to the rear. My brain also moved when my skull cracked causing bleeding. I intend to take my files to Headway so as they can educate me more and maybe help me open up even more and understand.

I am sure the harsh way the doctor told me was not harsh at all, it was just what I call my chimp (from the chimp paradox) interpreting his words the wrong way. I think he had to be direct with me as I was having none of his instructions. I believed I knew better.

From the video I watched, regarding James Cracknell there is a quote that resounded with me. Before the accident, I, like others, had bad traits along with good ones. After the accident I was left with only the bad but multiplied by ten. In the three years since I refused to see this until now.

If I was more educated and recorded this more I could write a book on this.

Never say never though.

I am clearly passionate about this.

Thank you once again and I sincerely hope you enjoy the festivities

Kind regards 

Robert 

• Like 2

Hi,

Is it common after these type of injuries to have a numb/strange sensation on the forehead..this is one of the major factors of my personality change that I can not get rid of. The only thing that soothes this is by wearing a head band that creates pressure around my head but helps relief this.

Thanks

• Like 1

Similar traits yes, but I have been left with a better me - I'm not so quick to lose my temper now and certainly don't sweat the small stuff.  However, I feel that I'm not so good at dealing with stressful situations compared to how I used to and feel myself getting anxious and panicky rather than logical and steadfast.  My husband says its my stubborness that got me through, and I tend to agree with him more than I'd like to ;)

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Robert and have a good one  xx

Smile as often as possible and sing happy songs (easy for me to say but it works for me)

Now I do not know but my Pal Carolyn from USA is gonna sing/type some songs,  I hope and know she can cheer us up xx

So be of good cheer and get ready to sing and look out for CarolynUSA  xxxx

Be Happy

Win xxxx

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

Welcome to BTG all the advice you have been given is all good and I really can't add to that, but I will say hang in there my friend, you have taken the biggest step by admitting you need help, you will get there.

You have come to the right place for support , advice and along with that you will make many friends here.

We will help you through this, I know how much BTG has helped me over the last 2 years, it's my second family.

I'd like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Looking forward to helping you along your recovery road.

Love

Michelle x

• Like 3

Hi Michelle,

I am finding this site like a Facebook but I don't and wouldn't talk as frank on fb as I would here. I'm also finding it my most visited place. absolutely at home here.

Im finding myself talking more and more as well now about my struggles. 

I'll keep in touch. 

Wherever you are and whatever you get up too I hope you enjoy the festivities. xx

Robert 

• Like 3

Hi all,

Well it's been a busy couple of days with plenty of smiles which has been great Ii have spent time with my family and adapted to just taking things easy. At times I felt like an outsider just looking in but I feel better within myself. That's what opening up and adapting to relaxing has done. I think looking back now I lacked self control with a lot of things that possibly was just about to give me a nervous breakdown.

Someone quoted on my forum that has stuck with me. I was probably trying to hard to be the old me but instead it would seem I need to adapt to the new me. The new me seems to be a very confident at talking now. I think this talking will open up barriers that I put there myself.

I am feeling good, this site and everyone who has commented has really helped me.

I actually found myself getting frustrated as I was struggling to post on it for some reason. I think it was a glitch. Subs helped me with it lol. Thanks Subs

A happy Robert ?

• Like 7

Hi Robert,

Glad you are on an upper and not a downer, a trouble shared as the saying goes !!

So good to know we are not alone in this, and we all understand what each other is struggling against.

I'll make it short and just pass a silly grin on to you.

Yes I've always had this daft smirk so stop taking micky lol

Win xx Had any water today ???

• Like 2

Hello Robert

So glad that you managed to spend some time with your family over Christmas. I was so hoping that would be a possibility for you given the difficulties you have faced.

Take care. You have realised that things can be different and with patience and understanding on all sides... you will make progress.

Yours has been an encouraging `story` going into the New Year.

Subs 

• Like 5

Hey Robert, welcome to BTG.  Whew, you've had a lot of input already.  I'm eight years past my SAH and it wore me out trying to process it all.

There is something I did not see addressed that was pointed out by a neurologist I started seeing after struggling with SAH after effects for about five years.  He explained the bleed caused part of the brain to die and showed me on the scans what areas were affected.  He then explained the functions these areas controlled and possible results of their impairment.

For example, one of the damaged areas controls fear response; I was having horrible bouts of anxiety. Just knowing what was happening and having validation as to why helped me immensely.  I now take medication to help me stay on more of an even keel. You may consider having your neurologist walk you through your scans in a similar fashion.  Your increased anger response could have a physiological, as well as psychological ( given the trauma of your attack) root.

I will also echo others regarding fatigue.  That is one thing that has not improved greatly.  I simply cannot manage nearly as well on shortages of sleep and trying to power through with large amounts of caffeine only exacerbates some of the impairments.  The combination also makes me more irritable than normal LOL.

You will find a wealth of information on the numerous threads on this site. Importantly, you will see you are not imagining things and you are not alone.

best wishes, 

Colleen

• Like 3

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for the reply. It would seem you and myself have suffered very similar setbacks then. The docs did put me on medication, it did help first time round as it slowed me down. When I felt better I decided to come off them as I felt I could - a few months/maybe a year anxiety returned so bad that my whole body ached. I got put on the medication again but this time round I absolutely did not like the effects I was having with it. I just feel that sitting on a couch not having the heart to do anything is the answer. This is the effect I would get.

You mentioned  coffee and today I have barred myself from it. My fatigue comes bad at night and you're totally correct as I have noticed this. The coffee just does not help as I come down with a crash and it's that point I need to care for the kids as mum works nights. Simple changes in attitude/lifestyles/awareness/understanding should see some real changes in myself I hope.

Kind regards 

Robert 

• Like 1

It is good to know Subs has helped you xx

He will appreciate it as he was on the other end of it, watching his wife go through what we have gone through.

Glad all went well for Christmas Robert, and keep the good work up.

Keep that smile at hand also and if you tire just have a sleep.

Be Well and keep typing xx

Win xx

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Winb143 said:

It is good to know Subs has helped you xx

He will appreciate it as he was on the other end of it, watching his wife go through what we have gone through.

Glad all went well for Christmas Robert, and keep the good work up.

Keep that smile at hand also and if you tire just have a sleep.

Be Well and keep typing xx

Win xx

Hi Win,

Everyone's input is great. I am sure this site has helped many people the way it has me.

Colleen said a couple of posts ago that she still struggles with fatigue five years on. I am the very same so it's up to me to take that break when required and believe me over the last few days I have, lol. It's been great.

I have come home tonight after my shift with a totally different attitude as well.(yes I'm back home ??) I never came in with that feeling of impending doom and stuck to the attitude I have had over the last few days. Quick shower and now relaxing waiting on a takeaway.

Cutting out takeaway will be the next step, know any good sites for advice ?lol

Here is a question. Do the people on this site ever meet up?

Does this site get promoted through the likes of Headway ?

I know I will be sure to mention it at my first meeting in January.

I intend to keep writing, hopefully people keep reading.

Thanks Win 

• Like 4

Hello Robert... in answer to your question about members meeting up. 

On page one in the Green Room, the second thread is `Pics from the past`  where some members have met up in the past.

Some members find that they live relatively close to each other and have arranged to meet.

Personally Keith very kindly agreed to meet with myself and Mrs Subs in York this summer - we were on holiday in Newcastle at the time.

Many members may just want to maintain the on-line connection only.... and perhaps make valued on-line friendships by Personal Messaging.

Subs

• Like 3