Recovery (new here)

Hi all,

My momma suffered a SAH on Saturday evening. She is currently at the Cleveland Clinic in the neuro ICU. I am wondering what your recoveries were like. How soon were you talking? Walking? Neuro rehab facility? Please just walk me through your recovery processes. She is currently doing "as well as can be expected".

Thank you all!

Hi

As Jess says everyone's recovery is different and it depends on what happened and how you are treated. 

At 4 days I was still in Neuro ICU was barely awake and have very little memory of that time. 

I was transferred to another ward after about a week but still have little memory. 

Was discharged after 15 days but the recovery is long and slow. 

Dont expect too too much too soon. Your mum is in the best place being looked after by the best people. 

Keep us posted on how things are going. 

Clare xx

• Like 2

Hi there and sorry to hear your mum is so poorly. I am sure you and the family are very worried right now but try and take each day as it comes if you can.

As Jess and Clare have said the recovery in post SAH is unique due to so many factors; the age of the person, their relative health and fitness before hand, the extent and severity of the bleed, what treatment and whether they have had invasive surgery. All these change how a persons brain responds. Well you get the picture.

I had a grade 4 bleed with hydrocephalus and I was in hospital just unde 7 weeks and i was 39 when it happened. It was well ove a year before I could drive or attempt any work.  The first week was in ICU and I have no  recollections at all but after that I knew where I was and what was happening but couldn't hold onto new memories for quite a while and have had to learn new ways to recall and remember,  

Things that help if your mum is conscious in the hospital ; being careful to talk a bit more slowly and  one at a time by her bedside, pinning up photos of loved ones and having little silence breaks for her brain to rest. Cognitive activity , thinking, will wear her out fast. 

Take care and ask if if you have questions, someone will have an experience that may help you.  

• Like 1

Do you remember when you started talking? I just want to talk to her before school starts back up on the 17th. I know that's a ways away but I want to have a conversation with her before I leave her. I know it's going to be slow but I hope that it doesn't feel as slow as it will be.

Momma is only 40 and will not have major surgery for this. She had the endovascular procedure to put the stent in and then another angiogram yesterday to view the bleed. They went in through her groin both times. Hoping this is a good thing for recovery. I need my mom.

As has been said before no two people recover at the same rate, everyone's is different.

As for talking to your mum, do it now, whether you get a response or not, it can only help her.

To go in through the groin is much less invasive than a craniotomy.

• Like 2

Hi - I was in a coma for a week and in a  High Dependency Unit (you might know that as intensive care) for another week after that.  I know that in that second week people were talking to me but I was not able to respond at times.

All procedures are invasive and remember this is the brain we're talking about so it isn't to be taken lightly.  Nevertheless, your Momma is in the right place at the moment and her doctors have her in their care and are looking for the best possible outcome for her.

Going in through the groin is certainly better than a craniotomy if it is possible to do it that way so there is reason to be optimistic.  However keep talking to the doctors and get a feel for how your Mom is doing from them.  They may well help to put your mind at ease.  Many of us on this site have been through these procedures and we're still here, but it takes varying times to recover from.

You need to be patient, as all brain injuries take time to recover from, and all bodies go at their own pace - what is right for them.  Keep going to see your Momma and keep talking to her whether she responds or not.  Read her short articles from a newspaper or her favourite magazine if you are struggling for something to say.

And above all, tell her you love her, every time you go to see her.

I wish you well,

Macca

• Like 3

Hey there hun

Can only agree with the others - mine again was different - burst aneurysm, through the groin to coil - I had mine early hours of a morning and not operate on until 12 hours later.  High Dependency for two days, general ward two days and home.  

I woke after surgery and was talking (complaining I was cold apparently!).  I was up and walking a day later.  Severity of bleed, where in the brain, general health and age are all factors.  I was 35 when I had mine, was (and am) a smoker, not a heavy drinker and exercised 3 times a week at least.

We are all different and there are no two recoveries the same.  Definitely talk to her Doctors to get a feel of where, what, how etc and definitely talk to her now - she can probably hear you so talk about your day etc.  It will give you comfort even if she can't respond right now.

How old are you by the way and is there anyone else around you to support you and your Mom??

• Like 2

Hi under the sea.

Saturday probably feels an age ago to you but it's a very short space of time for the healing process that your mom has got to go through. To answer you question I apparently talked very soon after coming round but it really didn't make much sense for quite a while and also I had no recollection of who was there visiting which could be very worrying for people. 

It was well over two weeks before I was well enough that doctors and family would even let my daughters come visit and to be honest if you asked them now they would tell you that they hated the neuro ward and what they got to see there and how I looked.

I'm not trying to scare you honey just to say that your mom right now would want you to just keep sending her all the get well vibes you can but to trust that she will be fighting hard to get better.  As the docs saying she is doing as well as she can be expected. That's a good thing honestly. 

So sharing below some practical things you can do before going back to school on the 17th that I promise will help mom worry less about you because believe me the only thing I did absolutely know is I needed to know my babies  were ok.

• Keep a little daily diary of what you're doing and how you're feeling, you don't have to share it with anyone  but it will help you I promise
  • make a little video ' hellos' for mom that maybe someone else who is visiting can show her when you can't get there.  My kids did that and I loved seeing them.  
  • Make a little pack of photos that she can look at and keep by her bed of you all together. Again this was lovely for me.
  • think about what mom likes, what body lotion  for instance and maybe make sure she has some of this at hospital with her.
  • Talk to a friend, an auntie or someone you trust about how you feel. No one can promise you it will all be the same as before but this is a tough time for you all so ask for help and don't bottle things up.
  • if a friend or family friend offers to help practically, like with drives to school , lunches, meals etc then say yes to it all. People like to help and I expect your mom would do the same,
  • try where possible to keep to routines at home doing the things you normally do but only if you want to. Again mom will enjoy hearing about it and it will help you to to not think about it all the time. 
  • So I think you may be getting the idea that this isn't a quick thing to bounce back from but to reassure you I think my kids would tell you that they have a version of their mom back now and they may even say it's slightly improved. I would tell you that I know your mom is going to be fighting hard to get better and she will just want you to be ok. She's gonna need your help, your encouragement and understanding and to take things one step at a time. 

Sending you and mom positive thoughts. X

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies. My mom just turned 40 a few months ago. She had a CT yesterday (they were concerned about a large stroke) and they found (possibly, not sure if it's just swelling) a very small stroke and swelling. We are hopeful that she will get more control of her limbs and eyes once that goes down some.

It appears that your mum is getting the best of attention from the doctors which is good to hear.

Her recovery will be in baby steps not in leaps and bounds.

Are you able to converse with her yet? If not just keep talking to her, regardless of what about.

Please keep us updated as to her progress

• Like 2

That's wonderful news, hopefully in a few days she will be able to talk to you. My daughter used to come and visit me every day, I don't remember a lot but I do remember her giving me a facial. Just a wipe over with a face wipe and a moisturise. I really appreciated it. Also it was nice to have my lips moisturused with vaseline.

Glad to hear she seems to making progress, how are you coping? Do you have family with you too?

Keep us updated.

Clare xx

• Like 1

I am praying for you and your Mom.  Glad to hear she recognizes you and knows you are there.  She may not remember it all later, but it counts in the moment!  She may be confused for a while, but she can feel the love.

Best wishes,

Chris

• Like 3

She opened her eyes on her own today, shocking the doctor!!! She looks all around and side to side, which she couldn't do yesterday. Both eyes worked together and no droopy eyelid. The same doc that told us she was dying the first night looked at us and said, "This is very positive, very positive." So thankful!!! She def knows who I am and could see us when she opened her eyes ?

• Like 8

My Daughter used to squeeze my hand to do exercises on it, my Sisters sung to me and I remember nothing.  But I woke up singing an Irish song they used to sing to me xx

Keep talking to her even if you think she isn't with it, she is in there still xx Or sing xx

Good luck to you and Mum xxxx  

Win xxxxx

Welcome keeping fingers crossed that your Momma is making those small steps to recovery.  As everyone has said we all have an individual journey affecting us differently dependent on severity of bleed.  I am sure she will be very aware of you near and the love you are feeling for her.

I hope you also have support it is very frightening for families, I know mine were very scared when I was in hospital.  It maybe a long recovery but she is in the right place with the expertise to help her mend both physically and mentally.

Take care x