Back to work

Hi guys! I have been back to work part time (at my FT job at an endoscopy center) since December 1, working only 4 hrs a day doing mostly paperwork. My SAH was September 22 2016. Some weeks I don't even make it to work everyday. The headaches are ridiculous and I just feel so wiped out so easily. I'm a registered nurse. 

Before my SAH, I worked my FT job and took weekend call in surgery at the hospital in my area. Today, the hospital called and pretty much said I have to start taking call again in two weeks or resign. The call is 64 hours straight. I told them I do not feel like I can safely do that at this point in my recovery. On my feet, running for supplies in emergency situations, and moving HEAVY patients.

They said to just think about it, talk with my husband, pray about it, and let them know.  I already know I am not ready for this, as I can barely do what I am doing already. It just makes me sad because I have worked there doing this for about 7 years. I still will have my job at the endoscopy center and it will be okay. 

Guess I just needed to talk this through with some of you that have been here before me:)

thanks!

Hi Myra

it really is still very early days for you, and do not see how you can consider working 64 hours straight. 

I  Believe you're in the US and I'm not sure the  employment laws there. In the U.K. We have rules regarding the way employers can treat you when you have been sick and have to phase back to work. 

Perhaps you need to try and speak to someone who knows about such things in the US. Try and get some help as it really is unreasonable what they are requesting. 

Keep us posted, hopefully someone from the US will read this and have some ideas of the legislation. 

Good luck

Clare xx

• Like 1

Hi Myra,

I would echo what others have said.  It is not remotely surprising that you find your current work schedule difficult and the thought of increasing it seems highly unrealistic.

Regarding your employers demands I would definitely seek expert legal advice.  You seem to be in the USA and I don't know what employment law regulations are there but in the UK it would be very difficult for an employer to fairly ask this of you.

Hope it works out for you.

Best wishes

Graham

• Like 1

Hi Myra,

Talk with the consultant that treated you for the SAH and get a letter from him/her that tells your hospital your expected recovery time that will enable your return to full time work.

I find it hard to believe, and stomach, that a hospital, of all places, should show such a lack of compassion and understanding of the recovery issues surrounding a SAH.  It smacks of some HR nerk who has no understanding or medical knowledge seeing you on your feet and thinking that you are ok because they can't see a plaster-cast or a limp or a missing limb.

It absolutely beggars belief.  If you are a nurse, I would floor that guy with all the medical research I could muster and tell him/her to come back to me when (s)he had read it all.

Unbelievably crass.  What they are doing, if they stop to think about it is putting you at risk, their patients at risk by making you return to duty when you are not ready.  Further, if you were to do something wrong, or something happened to you, I wouldn't like to be on the end of the lawsuit that followed.  Keep a diary, of everything and who said what - verbatim if possible, and when and to whom.

I wish you well.

Macca

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support! 

Yes I am in the US. I'm sure I could go to my neurosurgeon, or even my GP, and get a letter saying medically I cannot do this yet. I have no idea when I would be able to keep up with the workaholic life I had prior to the SAH. And I do understand they need someone to cover that 64 hr call. It just can't be me at this point.

Crazy thing is, this is the hospital (it has a gym in the wellness center) where I had collapsed and the ER where I was lifeflighted out. A lot of these people are the same ones that were there worrying I would die, 3 months ago. 

Wow, 3 months ago -saying that seems crazy to me to even be thinking about trying to work my FT job and this call at the hospital. Being a nurse myself, knowing what I do, that seems like a bad bad idea. Unsafe for me. Unsafe for my patients. 

I totally agree with you Macca- I think it is difficult for everyone to remember how slow the recovery can be because they can't "see it". 

Its frustrating to me because while I can explain it to others and show them educational material,

I cannot understand it for them. It is like everyone looks at me and sees me walking around and alive and thinks "wow I'm glad that's over. She looks all better now." They have no idea what it's like on the inside. That's why I have been so grateful for BTG! 

After talking with my husband last night, he says to just resign from the hospital. He thought I was working too much before my SAH and worries that all that stress contributed to it. He says there is no need for that, and to let it go. And I know he is right. I know you all are right as well! 

Thanks so much!

Myra

• Like 1

I am with your husband there!

However, one thing I would do, before you do anything rash, is to educate your people in that hospital about SAH.  If you leave without doing this at least, then you are simply deferring the problem for the next unfortunate person that suffers one.  I wouldn't wish a SAH on anyone, but if I did, your guy in HR would be top of my list - then he would understand!

If you left completely, your hospital loses all that training, knowledge and experience they've invested in.  How myopic of them to risk that.  Could you not simply cut your hours?

Your husband could be right about stress.  It can't be measured of course, because it is such an individual thing, like asking how long is a piece of string, but if you can relieve some stress, then that can only be a good thing, can't it?

Make your own decisions and in your own time - when you are ready.  You must do what you believe to be right and in your best interests.  You and your family must come first.  There are other jobs, but there aren't other families.  Just get your priorities right.  Work to live - not live to work!

Best wishes,

Macca

• Like 5

Hi Myra,

i I don't know the details of the extent of yor SAH, but it seems you went back to work quite soon.  Did you file for FMLA?  I know it only protects for a time (12 weeks total). Some places are very supportive of staff with critical medical issues, but not all. It's a shame.

colleen

• Like 1

Hi Myra,

Wow,3 months and back to work. That is early. I say that from someone who wasn't working and just trying to get on with life.  I think you need to be so careful because I found when I tried to do a lot over the summer, I just got exhausted and ended up feeling ill, sickness and gastric problems and I needed to reassess how I did things and that was 11 months post my haemorrhage.

Even now anxiety rushes in when a lot is put before me in one go.  It is improving but I more aware of things now. I know in the States working procedures are so different to UK, we are very fortunate. Just check out what you are entitled to through workplace insurance, your own insurance etc. 

It sounds good to cut down your workload if it is possible.  Your health is very important and these are very early days, you need time for your strength to build up and that includes your brain which is doing all the work.

Take care Myra, 

Irene 

• Like 3