Driving

Smeg13

Hi Skippy

Will give her a call tomorrow.  Some of the information I have received states that I should see a medical professional before returning to work and I was not sure whether to rely on my GP or ask to be referred back to the consultant.

Many thanks :)

• Like 2

Hi All

Been back to my GP today regarding the driving and my GP is not willing to take responsibility for making the decision whether I can drive or not.

She was not happy that a referral has not been agreed for me to go back to see the Consultant.  I have also telephoned the Neuro Nurse and left a message for her to contact me and I was also advised to call the Consultant's Secretary again which I will do tomorrow as she does not work on a Wednesday.  

I did explain to my GP that when the Consultant contacted me after reviewing my MRI Scan, he apologised and said that he had forgotten about me. I won't describe the look on her face, but you can imagine she was not impressed.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that but not that surprised. It seems to be a common challenge when there is a grey area on driving and there was a effort a few years back to take the confusion out of license challenges but it seemed to have fizzled out. 

This is the link to guidance for  health professionals it has been updated since I last referred to it https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/526635/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf this tells the GP what they have to advise in each circumstance.

It is for the patient to assure themself that they are fit to drive. Medical professionals asked for an opinion about a patient’s fitness to drive in these circumstances should explain the likely outcome by reference to this guide. The final decision in relation to driver licensing will, however, rest with the DVLA.

By reference to the DVLA’s guidance, the doctor in charge of an individual’s care should be able to advise the driver whether or not it is safe for them to continue to drive during this period. 

As so far as I interpret the rules now if you have had a SAH coiled, clipped or a NASAH you must not drive until you are deemed medically fit to do ( full clinical recovery) and should be advised as such so which as Sami has said would come from the neurological treating team . It sometimes also includes that on your discharge notes.

It is the patient responsibility to inform the DVLA of the notifiable condition not the doctor but in some circumstances the doctor may also advise them when a license should be removed.

If you had an extra ventricular drain, a burr hole for monitoring or a VP shunt place as a result of bleed treatment then you have to notify DVLA( as does the doctor it seems) , and licence goes for 6 months. If you had a seizure then you have to be seizure free for 6 months. 

So basically, no intervention received then I read it you can continue to drive once you get clearance but I have no advice on how to stop going round in circles to get this. Sorry! 

Keep the faith. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Have you had any response yet? I reapplied 3  1/2 months ago.

Its in progress now as the DVLA were insisting on a special letter from my consultant and the secretary bearing in mind it's a regional centre didn't know what I was talking about, its been done now,and DVLA happy and they sent me the forms out again to complete.however I'm not sure if my consultant has completed their documents to send back to DVLA as I know they are usually very slow with admin work.

Fingers crossed we both get sorted soon, I'm getting fed up waiting on buses from work because if I miss it, it's then a 30 minute wait, it's okay if there's somebody nice to talk too.

Good luck

Misty

The Dvla actually took my license off me, that is I had to send it too them.So don't want to take any risks with not having paper evidence on me.They wouldn't accept my original application until they received a letter from the consultant, stating I was safe to drive. So the application has been done again, and nescessary paperwork sent to consultant!!! 

Just awaiting Trump to sign an Executive order ???

Hi all, haven't posted for a while .but i have to say, i had a nightmare with the dvla.

It took nearly eight months to get my license back, the main problem was getting the consultant 

to write to the dvla to say your ok to drive  I had to keep ringing his secretary until she knew my voice.

Got there eventually.

Good luck rob

• Like 3