Hello, my name is Liz

Liz H

Hello, my name is Liz. I am 50 years old, surfer and artist, and I live in CA. 2.13.17 I finished my workout and I had an insane headache - it felt like the Hulk was pulling my head apart.

I managed the 12 minute drove home. During which time, the headache got much worse. Within 45 minutes of the onset, an ambulance brought me to the ER, where I was being told I had blood in my brain. I was diagnosed with an Non-Aneurysm SAH. I was in the ICU for 12 days on stroke watch.

Two cerebral angioplasty procedures later and they couldn't find the source of the bleed. After I left the hospital I was effectively dropped from care. According to my neurologist I would recover fully. He gave me a script for cognitive therapy, which took 5 weeks to get into and I start in 2 (weeks). I do go to PT twice a week. I feel a bit lost.

I am getting better however everything is exhausting, I am feeling frequently fatigued, and plagued with headaches and feeling of being imbalanced. My world moves very slow now and one or two simple activities is what I can handle daily. I'm blessed with a very supportive wife and sister and dogs : )

I joined the site hoping to connect, share and learn from others. The isolation is scary and so is the healing process.

Thank you. Liz

• Like 5

Hi Liz

Welcome to BTG. My NASAH was almost exactly 2 years before you, it's a long road but you'll get there. 

You are still really early days so don't expect too much. Rest plenty and drink lots of water. 

The headaches should subside soon and you will start to feel a little more human. But it takes time. 

Just plan to do those 2 simple activities a day, no more, and when you feel up to it add something else in. That's what I did, there's no point in beating yourself up trying to do more. Your brain simply won't let you so let it be the master of your life for a while. 

The fatigue may continue for some time, I still suffer now though no where near as in the early days.

Hope the cognitive therapy helps let us know how you get on. Keep us posted and good luck, glad you have such great family support.

The dogs can help too, just a gentle walk in the fresh air is great- mine even knew I was unwell and never strayed far from me.   

Take care and remember you are not alone, you have us all on BTG now ?  

Clare xx 

• Like 5

Hi Liz :)

A very warm welcome to BTG, so glad you found us. Some great advice from Clare above.

I had an SAH and had all the symptoms you are having too. 

It is scary but things will get better. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. It just takes time and getting to know your limits.

Its great you have your wife, sister & dogs around to support you. It is such a very worrying time for them too.  

You will find lots of helpful information here and friendly caring support :)

Feel free to ask any questions and to join in the daily banter in the Green Room in the members area.

As Clare says, you are not alone you have us now :) 

Take care and we look forward to hearing more from you. 

Tina xx

• Like 4

Hi Liz,

I had an SAH I didn't remember much just passing out.  Felt rough all that day though.  Had shunt put in for hydrocephalus and that bought me back to the real world xx

You will get better and just knowing you are not alone in this helps,  so every time you get down come on here.

I was like you, at a loss and okay what happens now.  We start living again Liz as we are the ones who made it.

I must admit the hospitals do not tell you much once released but as Clare and Tina have put drink the water, also keep happy hard to do at first but laughter and singing helped me.

It gave all on BTG headaches, but it made me feel better and you will get there  xx

Take it easy and read A Letter from your Brain

Wishing you all the best

Win xxxx

• Like 4

Hi Liz,

Welcome to BTG.

All sound advice from Clare, Tina and Win, it takes time to get over such a trauma, you need to listen to your body and your brain, if you over do things they will let you know.

It's very early days in your recovery but things do get better with time, 

It sounds like you have a great support network with your wife and sister and of course The dogs, my little dog helped me while I was recovering, it was as if she knew I was poorly.

Take each day as it comes, you are certainly not alone, you have come to the right place for help and support, it's a great comfort knowing there a place you can come to where people understand what you are going through and how you are feeling.

The recovery road can be a bumpy one at times, we will be here for you, you will make a lot of new friends here.

Wishing you all the best.

Love

Michelle xx 

• Like 4

Hi Liz,

A very warm welcome to BTG!

I guess one thing your neurologist didn't mention was that your recovery would take some considerable time!  So don't beat yourself up about progress being slow going.  Please don't try and compete against others that you perceive to be leaving you behind in the fitness stakes either.  They don't have the obstacles that you do now. They haven't suffered an SAH so it isn't a level playing field anymore.

You are competing against yourself now, not them!

So, it would be a good idea for you to keep a diary of your progress to see how far you have come over time!  Then, and only then, when you are getting back closer to what others are doing should you compare yourself to them.  Your current 'normal' is now different to theirs, so looking at them straight off would only set you up to disappoint yourself.  So don't do it and you will feel much better about yourself.

Also remember that resting well is as important as exercising well, and sleeping and eating well.  You need an all round performance to get yourself back in tip top condition - or as near to it as you can get!

When you feel like increasing your pace a bit, please take medical advice before you do it.  As the others say, your body will soon tell you if you overdo it too soon and it isn't pleasant, as I know from bitter experience.

I wish you well - good luck!

Macca

• Like 6

Welcome. I am less than 2 years from my NASAH. Great advice above. Please be patient and give yourself time to heal. It takes time and is not visible so others may not fully appreciate what you are going through. But we do and are here for you. 

Sending prayers 

Chris

• Like 5

Hello Liz.... also a warm welcome to BTG.  You will definitely receive much support from the members and also from looking back on previous posts.

As has already been mentioned, it is very early in your recovery and time and patience are so important.

It is good that you have close family around you to help.  This will also be such a difficult time for them. They have experienced the anxieties of your time in ICU, and continue to see how the NASAH has brought so may challenges to your life as you struggle to carry out even the ordinary daily life duties.

Wishing you the strength to face these challenging days ahead. Please keep in touch about you progress.

Subs

• Like 7