Palhuc - Will this happen again

Hi Everyone,

My hubby after 5 months has turned a corner and now his recovery is going very fast, should I be afraid how fast he is recovering ?

However, he still needs a swallow test to learn and though feet are moving and legs jump he is not walking yet.

Should I be positive that in 6 months he will be doing these things ?

• Like 1

• Skippy changed the title to Palhuc - Will this happen again

Hi Palhuc

A very warm welcome to BTG :)

It is very good to read your hubby has turned a corner and recovering fast.

I really hope he learns the swallow test and gradually builds up his strengh to walk again soon.

Everyones recovery is different, but all the signs are positive. Some recover very quickly, others it takes a lot longer.

5 months is still very early in recovery, so your hubby is doing well :)

I hope you are doing ok and remembering to look after you too?

Take care & let us know how you are both doing.

Tina xx

• Like 1

Hi Palhuc

Everyone is different in the way they recover.  There will be times that things move quickly but please be prepared for things slowing down and appearing to slip backwards for a while then starting to move forwards at their own pace. It is a long progress recovering take one day at a time wishing you well and your hubby good luck please keep us updated and welcome to btg  good luck

• Like 1

Hi, as the others has said there is no 'standard' path for recovery in our bleeds. We are each witness to advances and progress in our own recoveries and those of people who are members but each will have a different story to tell. 

Patience, hope and a good sense of humour will serve you both well as you continue to assess and strive to see what might be a next ' regain' for your husband. And I hope there are many still to come. 

I hope the swallow test goes well for you and don't stop looking at the possibilities in his recovery. Keep being curious about what's possible, offer lots of good food and brain rest time and in time you will be able to see more progress. 

The best advice i was given was you have measure how far you have come from the moment of the bleed. When you start to use this as a measure it can be quite liberating but also rewarding to see the difference from the early days 

• Like 1

Hi PalH

I was told I'd never walk again and one day I had music on (They say music is good for us) and started to tap my feet as I think I can tap dance xx

I then thought if I can move my feet, then why cant I move?  so out come a foot pedal (electric one).  So in the early days I practiced taking little steps. 

On a good day I can walk 200 yards plus, before back aches.  On a bad day approx. 100 or 60 yards. I did all the exercises you can think of like raise feet, twist ankles etc . 

Christmas morning 2010 I walked 4 steps and gave my hubby his Christmas pressie. 

It may not seem a lot but it gave me my dignity back and for after new year my hubby ordered me a zimmer frame to get to bathroom.

Good luck and sending positive vibes for you both xxx  Never give up xxxx 

Win xxxxx   My next aim is to go shopping without a W/chair but not yet ready xx 

• Like 1