Difficulty finding words sometimes

Hey Rosie

I used to sometimes struggle to find the word that I needed but not now.  In fact, now my brain works too quickly for my mouth to keep up with sometimes.

I used to have a colleague who had an NASAH and she still struggled to find the right word quite a few years after hers. 

I think its a fairly common thing and abates with time, but how much time depends on the individual.

My hubby had a brain injury after a motorbike accident in 2015 and struggled to talk clearly and find the right words. His consultant told him to relax when talking as the more he thought about it and panicked, the worse it would be.  He tried and it worked eventually.

Unfortunately, it is all down to our old friend, Time.

Hi

How are you getting on with the running?

I still have difficulty finding words but only when I am tired. Early on I had the problem a lot but it does get better with time. The memory problems usually get better with time too. At 4 months you are still early days, I am 2 years and only now feel that I have reached a plateau.

My memory problems are slight but I have learnt to cope with them and have put strategies in to help with this. This includes lots of notes on my phone and writing things down on paper. I still suffer from the occasional 'lost' word which causes hilarity at work when they all try and guess the word. The other thing I suffer from occasionally is getting lost in the middle of a sentence and having to try and remember what I was going to say.

As Sami says it really is just time, things do get better, a lot better and you are doing really well :) 

xx

Rosie when I first had my SAH I thought I lived in my old house and couldn't remember where I lived. 

Hubs pinned it up and every day before he left he hid our address and said "what is our address Win"  I'd try and cheat and get a clue.  I thought it was so funny.

I realise what Hubs and Daughter had been through while I had been sleeping/dreaming,  I am so glad I married him and had a lovely Daughter who is a great help

I used thingymebob a lot in the first year but I am getting there, and so will You !!   Also whatchamacallit came in handy also.

We will get there I have good days and bad days,  like today I knew I'd told hubs I wanted something from Boots, do you think I can remember what it is !! ha ha and he is just as bad he cannot remember either so I put it down to my age  21 (oops I lied) .  

Keep singing and remembering we will get there eventually.

Love

Win the Ancient one xxxx

Hi Rosie,

Yes, in the early stages after my SAH, I struggled to find the right words but the good thing about English, probably more so than most languages, is that you can say the same thing in so many different ways.  Still gives you a bee in the bonnet though.  It's one of those things that bugs you until you find the answer you were looking for.

ie where is my pen? where is my biro?, where is my  fountain pen?, where is my felt tip?, where is my crayon?, where is my pencil?, where is my writing implement?, and so on and so forth.  I love English for that.

Another way round it is to put the onus on those around you by asking them to provide your answer ie; "I saw one of those birds the other day, you know, the black and white ones"  and they say "What, a magpie?" and you say "Yes, thanks."  You make them struggle for the answer and you just sit back and wait for it to come and say thank you when it does!

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2017 at 18:20, Macca said:

the good thing about English, probably more so than most languages, is that you can say the same thing in so many different ways.

This is exactly the way that I've been coping with it, it can take me three times as long to say what I was trying to say, but at least I can get there in the end, it's the scenic route option. 

I usually find that it's the integral word in the sentence that gets lost, and i'm usually quite far into it before I realise it's not there and have to abruptly stop and restart or veer off onto my scenic route.

I can only confirm what the others have said. It gets much better with time and whilst it was pretty much a daily occurrence initially it now (5 years down the line) very rarely happens, and when it does I already know I'm mentally exhausted and in dire need of a break from work.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I still have this problem at times, especially when Im tired.  I’m 16 months since my bleed.  It can be so frustrating - especially when you remember the word at 2 in the morning!!!:P

Archived