Balance/set back

Morning

I have had a bit of a setback in my recovery. I have been physically ok for just over a month (3 months since SAH) but this morning I have woken up feeling very unbalanced /dizzy and feeling sick. I'm pretty down about it as yesterday I had probably my best day. I'm only 36yo but I feel about 80 at the minute! I know I have to be prepared for setbacks but it is difficult to take when they happen. I did do quite a bit yesterday I even made dinner for the family, so I will put it down to that. Just resting at the moment hopefully it will ease off soon.

Thanks for reading any advice would be appreciated. 

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry you are feeling a bit off kilter today, you will have days like this especially when you as you are still only 3 months since SAH.

I think what has happened is you have over done things yesterday, I know it's brilliant when you have those days where you feel great, you just want to do normal things and that is great, 

I think what you are experiencing now is your body and your brain saying " hold up a bit, we are not ready for this, we need more time to heal " and that is why you are probably feeling as you do today.

It is still early days for you, you can still do things that you want to do, just listen to your body and your brain, as you are finding out today they have a way of letting you know when you have over done things.

It will be 3 years next month since my bleed and I still have days when my brain let's me know I have over done things.

It does get better as time goes on, your good days will out weigh the bad, it just takes time.

As Win will tell you, baby steps at first.

So for today you just need to rest, make sure you take plenty of water and be kind to yourself, the water will help with headaches and dizziness.

Hope this has helped & you start to feel better soon.

Take Care

Love

Michelle xx 

• Like 2

Hi Steve

Wise words from Michelle. As you say you had a good day yesterday and possibly did too much. It's a strange thing that while you are doing 'too much' you feel fine. It's not till later or the next day that it hits you.

I still have this problem 2 years on. When I am at work I feel fine and push that bit more to do more intensive work - even though I have been told by my neuro psychologist that I shouldnt - Later that day I feel really tired, suffer from poor balance and am not much good for anything except the sofa! I need to learn this lesson, I still push too hard and suffer setbacks but it is a hard rule to learn when you feel so fine at the time.

Just rest today and hopefully tomorrow you will feel a bit better. Take care and let us know how it goes.

Clare xx

• Like 3

Yep - been there too.  Its a downer after such a good day for you, but remember you had that good day.  The good days will outweigh the bad and off days.  3 months is very early in your recovery, so please listen to your body and your brain and let them rest when they need to.  Don't be downhearted about it though, its perfectly normal after what we've been through.

Hi guys

Thanks for this advice it is a great help. I have found today difficult as only yesterday I was telling everyone this is my best day yet! 

I went to to the bathroom during the night and I knew then I was in for a bad day as I was very wobbly.

This past hour or so I have started to feel a bit better which is a relief, just resting at the moment. 

I have to to say it is a comfort to be able to get this advice from you all. 

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve, me too! I think we are all affected by this and it can be disheartening but just know that for every bad/dizzy/tired day, there are more good days coming up. I'm almost 2 years post Sah now and I still find it frustrating.  In fact a good example for me is today. It was my son's birthday yesterday so he and his partner and our three young granddaughters came over last night, we had a great time? But just trying to keep up with the different conversations and keeping an eye on the girls was really hard work.I got to bed at 11pm, that's late for me these days!!! I am absolutely wiped out today !! It's taken me all this time to understand and recognise that if I overdo it one day, I'll pay for it the next.

I suppose what I'm trying to say in my usual rambling way is; It's absolutely normal?Keep well and get lots of rest when you can

Jan xx

Jan hope your feeling a bit better now. I'm nearly there it's only taken me all day but I feel almost like my balance is back to normal. I ate a plate of fish and chips from the chippy and it has done wonders for me!  

Feel pretty tired now an early night is on the cards for sure. 

Recovery is is such a rollercoaster and today I have been made aware that there is nothing straight forward about it.  I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow thanks again for the advice.

Steve

Hi Steve ?I'm glad you're feeling a bit better now, me  too. There must be some truth in fish being good for the brain healing!!!! Ive had scampi and chips for tea and feel loads better ! Like you, early night tonight ?? ??

Take care of you 

Wishing you a fab day tomorrow (Don't overdo it !! ) 

Love Jan xx

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I used to get up with a rush ie too quick and someone on here said" When you get up Win sit for a few seconds or more then swing legs out of bed, and when ready get up slowly.

Best advice anyone gave me, even now I lay in bed on side where shunt is and feel all giddy I turn over.

So remember as Chelle said baby steps and slower in all we do until we are feeling 80%/85% fit. 

Good luck Steve but if worried see Doc to double check and no stress that way.

Feel better soon

Win xxxx

Steve, you are now officially part of the slow movement and that's not all bad, like Win said go a little slower into things. Doing that We get to notice and enjoy the momements and not press so fast through life bug also notice our signs earlier when we are flagging. 

Everyone has reassured you that that horrid fairground ride feeling is a signal that you pushed past your energy limits the day before and we have all done it and continue to do so. I'm five years out and I spent my Monday feeling exactly like you did after having done too much at weekend and then receiving an emotional upset. 

Too much stimulation, not enough rest, over exertion, any one thing can tip the balance you think you've got to and literally knock you on your derrière and then also just when you think you have a steady rate something will zap your energy bank unexpectedly and can have the same effect. 

So you did the the right thing, batten the hatches down, rest, drink water and fish and chips sounds like a Fine prescription , fish for the brain and potatoes for the body.

rest now. Tomorrow another day. 

• Like 2

Morning guys,

Unfortunately I still have the balance issue this morning can't help but feel a bit low about it. Had a great nights sleep as well. Like Win says i may head to the docs if in a few days the problem is still there.   Was looking forward to taking my daughter to school next week but I think I better make other arrangements just in case. 

Thanks again guys have a good day. 

Steve

Steve, don't be to downhearted - it can sometimes take more than a day, but as time passes the recovery will improve and the time it takes to get over a "bad day" will get shorter.  Rest again today with plenty of water x

Hi guys

Yes just been resting again and drinking water. Feeling a bit better for it. Had to say no to family as they are going out for a meal tonight but I thought that would be a bit much.  Shame as I hate not doing stuff with them but my instinct was telling me not to do it. I think I have read on this site that you have learn to say no!

Thanks again

Steve.

17 hours ago, Steve said:

just been resting again and drinking water. Feeling a bit better for it. Had to say no to family as they are going out for a meal tonight but I thought that would be a bit Much

Steve, I am hoping you feel a bit better today but if the balance and nausea remain I would strongly suggest you give your neuro team a call and have a chat or see your GP if they are good and know the situation. 

You had an EVD / hydrocephalus with your SAh so any sudden change should be discussed post discharge but often the feelings are is just through just  having done too much. And yes learning to say 'no' is a good recovery tip. 

• Like 1

Morning guys

Daffodil- Thanks for your message it's great advice I was seriously contemplating this last night but I have woke up this morning feeling much better.

The hydrocephalus is something I have been warned about to keep an eye on something called normal pressure hyrdrocephalus. It can happen after SAH. It is basically a slow build up of pressure on the brain .  Being unbalanced is one of the symptoms. 

Im starting to think the problem was caused by my cooking exploits on Friday. I was bending over turning baked potatoes in the oven it was prob moving my brain into a position it's not been in since SAH. I'll not be cooking for a while now!

My balance is more like at 95 per cent rather than on Saturday morning when I could barely make it from room to room. The relief is just amazing. I can stand on one leg now! I have to thank everyone for all the messages and support it's been invaluable.  It's been a hard weekend for me and the family but I feel much happier now.

Just going to to take it nice and easy again today my mother in law has kindly took my daughter to school but I am going to do the pick up it's just a 5 min walk away. 

Thanks again have have a good day everyone.

Steve.

Be well Steve and hope your week goes well.

No rushing just spoil yourself a little, and rest up  (You know it makes Sense !!)

Keep a smile at hand for these days xxxx

We can get over it.  Good luck

Win xx