Introducing myself

Stanton

Hi.  New to forum and would like to introduce myself.  Had SAH on 4/13/2015 on a trip to Albuquerque, NM for continuing education.  It was coiled.  

I am a self employed real estate appraiser in East Texas.  51 years old at the time.  Male, was a smoker and fairly heavy drinker.  No longer.  Grade 4 SAH on the Hunt and Hess scale,  out of 5, which means I had a 20% chance of survival.  

Then you figure in I had Torsen's syndrome, blindness caused by blood forced into the eyes from the bleed.  I've read that Torsen's syndrome multiplies your chances of the SAH being fatal by 4.8.  Sorry if these topics have been covered before or if my statistics are not accurate.  Make no mistake, I don't know much medically.  

Anyway, apparently the odds were against me surviving but I did.  Was blind in both eyes for about four months before having a surgery to restore my vision.  The synthetic fluid used to replace ones natural fluid in the eyes caused cataracts.  Then had cataract surgery a few months later.  A breeze compared to what else we have been through.  

I don't remember the event or anything else for 5-6 weeks.  Spent 26 days in Neurological ICU in NM, my wife says (My unbelievable caregiver).  Flown on Medical plane to a suburb of Houston and spent another month or so in rehab before be discharged for PT in my hometown, 60 miles north of Houston.  Went through 6 weeks of PT in my hometown.  Another 3 months in another, highly touted, physical therapy institution in Houston.

Made significant improvement but still had, and still have, physical deficits including balance, walking/gait and fatigue.  Thankfully no depression, which is amazing, as I had major depression prior to the explosion in my brain, since 2001.  All the improvements in the deficits continue, though at a much slower pace than I wish.  I am, however, very grateful for any progress!

I could go on and on. But don't know how much information would be useful.

I, like everyone else, would like to know when, or if, I will fully recover? I don't think any human, knows.  What I do know, is I will continue to strive for it

• Like 2

hi Stanton

Welcome to the site.  Recovery is an on-going episode, you never stop recovering.  The old saying of little and often is the answer you may very well recovering at a faster rate than you think.  Its the little things that catch you when you suddenly think I didn't do that six months ago, so little and often is the answer I think,  so keep up the good work and no stress .Enjoy your second chance of your new life   good luck

• Like 4

Hi Stanton,

I had the same SAH4 followed by Ventriculitis and then Sepsis,  was in cuckoo land for an age and I was told I'd never walk again by my Brain Injury Team,  and Physios. told hubby to put me in a home !! Cheek !! lol

I had a shunt put in as I had hydrocephalus and I came out of cuckoo land and remember hardly anything of 2009, But once they did the shunt in 2010  I can now walk short distances before back aches.  I am telling you this so you Never Ever give up and my Surgeon said Stress is bad for us so sing laugh and think happy thoughts..  We do not need Doom and gloom tales.

So come on Keep Happy when possible and take it slow do not rush and look back in 2 months and see if you have improved bet you will have.  Long haul but we can make it xx

Good luck to you Both

Regards

Win xxxx  when down sing a happy song, it drives my Hubby potty but I find it keeps stress away xxxx  Poor hubs  !!

• Like 1

Hi Stanton, same as you I had a grade 4 in 2012 and luckily got very prompt medical attention so whilst I spent considerable time in hospital and have hydrocephalus and shunt  like Win life has improved since then  and changed and improved immeasurably . It's a bumpy road for sure but one full of learning , curiosity and joy for the most. And on the days that are hard? Well my short term memory is rubbish so I soon forget about them! 

Glad you joined our little gang. I'm glad you are doing well and to answer your question yes I think improvements continue beyond the first two years, they aren't as dramatic maybe but it's like little switches being flicked and suddenly you realise you are doing something that would have been beyond you a year ago. So progress is alwaysbest  measured from when you were i hospital and then you will see how far you have some. And keep on keeping on! 

• Like 3