One month post SAH idiopathic

Hi all

very glad to have found this site. Had my event while being taped for a tv news segment (fortunately it wasn't live!). Got to the hospital quickly. 

Very lucky to have not sustained cognitive or motor deficits. Right now, strange head pressure/sensation and fatigue are biggest problems. I'm an academic at a research university serving as an administrator. High job stress and responsibilities, but I love it and thrive on managing a lot and well. 

I'm scheduled to return to work 2.5 months post bleed. A bit worried about managing. I feel guilty about being home. However, my stamina is currently low - and I want to turn off conversations after about 15-20 minutes. Having conversations with 2 or more people at once feels daunting.

I went to a restaurant yesterday - had to move to  a different table - I seem to need quiet space and small amounts of external stimulation. At suggestion of neurologist, tried Restorative Yoga, found that very helpful and a very good emotional release. Trying to walk every day (the week after the SAH, had atrial fibrillation, so want to pay attention to cardiac health as well.  Very fortunate to have devoted spouse and adult child and family nearby. Feeling well tended. 

Any advice, thoughts re pacing myself and recovery/return to work?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Take it very slowly, your brain needs lots of time to heal. You cannot run before you can walk. If you do you will find yourself taking backward steps in your recovery.

As for returning to work, 2 1/2 months after a SAH is very early in most cases. You appear to have a very stressful and busy occupation so if you do return don't be surprised if you can't cope.  If you must return to work make sure it is done on a very slow phased return basis and preferably some of the responsibility taken off your shoulders for the moment.

Does your employer realise the implications of a SAH?

• Like 2

Thanks, my employer has been very supportive and my physicians are part of the organization. I think I can expect good understanding particularly since they know it is not my style to lay low. They are being very protective of my time, energy and privacy. I also have  a very strong administrative team who are keeping things going in my absence. I feel very fortunate. I am the one I need to be patient!  I don't like it when my brain gets tired, which is the only way I know to describe it. 

Thank you. 

Hi,

Very early days for you yet.  Fatigue is common and if you don't want to let it overwhelm you, then you must find a way of managing it.  A phased return to work is a must in my opinion.  Second, go through all of your current duties and write them down. Use the time you have to take stock of your duties at work.  Just do a little each day, you don't have to do it all at once.

Then put them into three columns  - can do, would like to do, can't do.

For those you can do -great.

For those you would like to do - Do you need help to manage them?  Can you do some, but not others?  Can you adapt the way you do them? Can you exchange them for ones you can do?

For those you can't do - delegate them, get rid, or change them.

Discuss with your managers - and above all - don't bluff, because if you say you can do them when you can't, you will soon be found out.

So start easy and build, don't start too hard and fail as that will be taken the wrong way.  Don't be in any hurry to move too fast either.  Take your time in re-building your competencies - remember they want to see you succeed, or they have to train someone else.  So go about it in the right way.  It might be frustrating at the beginning, but the end result will be worth it.

Good luck,

Macca

• Like 3

Dear Macca

thank you so much for your very clear and wise advice. Your idea about sorting tasks through a column system is one I find both appealing and doable - not too overwhelming. 

I am am so impressed by this forum and the people on it. Just what I need -clear recommendations, validation of my experience, and kind people. Thank you all. 

• Like 3

Hi,

I echo Macccas comments, take it slow and steady. Don't be pushed into doing more than you feel comfortable with and take regular breaks. It's very easy to think ' this is fine I can do this, I'll do some more'. Don't do more, just do what you know you can manage as if you do too much you will suffer. I am still learmning this lesson now and I'm nearly 2 and a half years down th line. Only yesterday I pushed the limits and once again suffered the consequences. Heavy head, fatigue and good for nothing bu the sofa!

You will get there, glad you are finding the forum so helpful.

Clare xx

• Like 2

Welcome. As noted above please take it slow. Dont be surprised if your fatigued feeling sometimes put you in a mild depressed state. It can happen but it will pass. My head felt weird for quite a while but either got better or I got used to it. 

Above all, listen to your body. It will let you know what you need like when you switched seats. 

Best wishes 

Chris

• Like 3

Hi VG ,

I cannot add anymore than all that has been said, but listen to your body and brain xx

On here there is "A letter from you Brain"  It made sense to me xx

Take it slow and easy and listen to your body and brain, I hope all goes well for you xx

Slowly does it at first xx

Good luck on your recovery

Regards

Winb143

• Like 1