Strange feeling over my head 3 months out

Hi, I'm 3 months post the clipping of my aneurysm after a SAH and I've had what I call itchy head, cold water head, friction burn head and now I get tightening head and it feels as if my scalp or inside of my scalp is being stretch over my head. In fact I'm still up tonight because of it...

3 nights ago I was watching a film with some flashing images and felt a really sharp pain inside my head similar to wen I had my SAH so I eventually ended up in a and e.. ct and Lumbar Puncture clear but still these sensations in my head still make me feel quite anxious.

I think every part of the healing process seems to be attached with a different sensation/pressure that we experience. No one told me what I could expect in terms of these sensations in hospital and how long it would go on for,  so I'm glad to have found your website to share and learn.

sairah

I used to get itchy head and I always bathed it in salt water, you might say "why salt water"  it is because my Mum swore by it and it helped my scars heal up.

If it continues then see Doc and do not stress yourself out.

It could be part of healing, my head felt like I had fleas  lol it itched so much hence warm salt water rinse. 

Good luck Sairah and keep in touch xxx

Regards

Winb143

• Like 1

Welcome to BTG Sairah. You will find that very few of us were given any information on discharge, seems to be an international failing. That is why this site is very good for support. Although we cannot give medical advice as none of us are medically trained, members are willing to share their experiences.

If you do a search there are members who have had the same feelings as yourself and no doubt some will reply to you at some point.

No-one's recovery is the same, there are no hard fast rules of what to expect. Make sure you are drinking lots of water to keep well hydrated. For some reason that helps with the headaches and helps your brain to heal.

I, for one, can't watch tv anymore because the movement makes me feel ill and no way can I cope with flashing images or bright lights, even loud noise and I am 13 years post SAH. I would suggest that until you are further on in your recovery you avoid those sort of images if you possibly can.

• Like 2

Hi ! Thanks for getting back to me. You are right about drinking water I feel more sensations the less I drink.  I will try the salt water definitely! I think internationally if our health services arranged some sort of rehab they'd experience less emergency admissions and improve the mental health of a lot of SAH/Craniotomy patients.

Thankyou for welcoming me on to this site...And I look forward to hearing from you and keeping in touch x

Sairah 

• Like 2

Hello Sairah, also a warm welcome to BTG.

As SM says, you will get much support on this site from people who have dealt with the challenges of recovery... some like you for a few months, and others for many years. Their comments on the various threads are so helpful to others.

I do hope you and your family are adjusting to life after SAH. It is not like many injuries where a full recovery can be made after a few months.  SAH affects everyone differently and the on going issues such as fatigue, headaches, mood swings, memory and temperament are constant challenges along the way.

Getting back to work is never an easy decision and should always be phased depending on how much your body and brain can handle. Don`t rush it.

Re television, for my wife it was the `shouting`  She has not watched her favourite soaps for six years because of this. 

We would welcome your own story in the Introduce Yourself section, if you feel you wish to share what happened to you.

I wish you and family well as you come to terms with SAH.

Take care.

Subs

I'm a lot further on now - nearly six years!  But I do remember those odd sensations soon after.  I likened it at the time to having worms crawling around in there - and I remember waking in horror as a result..  The immediate results of a brain changing event can be pretty horrible but, over time, they do recede.  

As for flashing images, I still avoid them along with TV images that "whoosh".  In fact, I realise I watch little TV now because of that effect they are so fond of to zoom in/out when it suits them. It seems that my damaged brain simply cannot keep up with them.  So I read a bit and sometimes that's only 10 lines or so before I give up and put the book down.  At the moment, it's Vera Brittain's "Testament of Experience" - a sequel to her poignant "Testament of Youth" and I've been at it for a good month or so bit by bit.  But for me, the effort of reading - even so slowly - is so much more worthwhile than what is presented as "entertainment" provided by television.  But then maybe, I'm just avoiding the news too!  

An SAH is or was, at least for me, a life changing event.  It has taken me some years to accept that -  to realise that what happened changed things forever.  

The worms did disappear though!

Hi Sairah,

I too had a craniotomy for clipping aneurysms and went through the whole crawly, itchy head thing.  You must remember when they did the surgery they had to pull the scalp back to some degree, disrupting vessels and nerves.  The creepy crawly sensations are from the healing, much like an incision will itch as it heals. Fortunately, I was told to expect that. It can go on for quite some time!

I find too that cold, damp weather makes the affected skull bones ache, so am careful to keep hats handy in winter. After more than 8 years, the area o skull that was cut out and replaced has sunken somewhat.  Also, do not be surprised or alarmed at random pains.  I've spoken to others who've had SAH and it seems a common experience.  Disturbing, I know and I won't say you get used to it, but more tolerant perhaps.

Best wishes, Colleen

Hi Sairah,

I'm 4 months post clipping now, I used to get a lot of weird sensations too, now it's mainly the tight feeling and its still a bit numb on the top of my head. Sharp pains are also an occurrence that seems to be less frequent now, I think mine are mainly caused by tiredness.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sairah,

At around 3 to 4 months I often had a sensation that my scalp was tight and it felt like a small army of metallic ants were scurrying around just below the surface of the skin.  I often had a strange metallic smell/taste at the same time.  Drinking lots of water helped a little and it stopped after a few weeks.  After these sensations stopped I felt more clear headed afterward so I put it down to being part of a helpful process (though it freaked me out a bit at the time!).  Hope it stops for you soon and helps in some way too.

• Like 1

Hi Sairah,  I had coiling September 2016 and for the first four months I had the strange scalp sensations off and on. It scared me at first,but after a while I realized it was just my head making adjustments.i used to say I was getting a scalp massage from a ghost,or ants were having a rave up there! It calmed down over time, just every now and then I will feel itches or tightness. As everyone says,talk to your doctor if in doubt.  Wish you all the best,this site helps just seeing all the really nice people here who are all going through this together. Be well ☺️

• Like 2