Gcs is 14 out of 15

Just found out today my gcs was 14 out of 15 is this bad and dose it mean I will not make a full recovery I know no one is medically trained but someone might have looked it up and know more than me thank you for taking the time to read this x

There is some information here.

http://www.brainline.org/content/2010/10/what-is-the-glasgow-coma-scale.html

Seems like the higher the number the less severe it is, the opposite to what you may think. That is not to trivialise any sort of brain injury.

Mine was a 5 and although I have balance and memory problems amongst other problems I am still here and making the most of my life and enjoying it.

Andrea, to be honest that score does not indicate how you will recover, it is how you were at the time of the SAH. Recovery is dependant on which part of the brain was affected, many folk make an almost full recovery, but not quite like they were prior to the event. A new me as such.

The best advice I can give you is to have a positive attitude to your recovery, do not harp on what has happened, you can't turn the clock back. Look forward with that sort of attitude and determination, it will help.

Now I know that is easier said than done but it can be done. 

• Like 1

Aandrea

The figures you are quoting relate to the Glasgow coma scale  which hospitals use on admission and it's a moment in time.  It does not relate to how a person recovers, that is very much down  to the patient. It does not have any relevance to recovery.  All it relates to is whether your are awake and whether you are responsive  and the answers you give at that time.  Look forwards to the future and making improvements as each day progress's,  good luck

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...