Hi all, was diagnosed with a 6mm aneurysm and a tear in the main artery in the back of my neck. Was seen by a neurologist, I told him about my mothers bursting and he sent an email to the neurosurgeon saying it was an emergency. Didn't hear anything back for six weeks. Now phoned them a few times get to the secretary and she says someone will phone me back but still no phone call. Was just wondering if this is a small aneurysm and they are not really worried about it. Any advice would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Hi CJ, 

That will be quite a worrying time for you which is not helped by the lack of speed having been referred as urgent by the neurologist.   

Whilst I am not medically qualified in any way, I did read this on the internet which states the different sizes and their classifications:    Small aneurysms are less than 5 mm (1/4 inch). Medium aneurysms are 6–15 mm (1/4 to 3/4 inch). Large aneurysms are 16–25 mm (3/4 to 1 1/4 inch). Giant aneurysms are larger than 25 mm (1 1/4 inch).14 Nov 2016

It is my understanding that although aneurysms could potentially rupture at any size, the chances of it doing so increase the bigger it is.  Some aneurysms grow in size, some more quickly than others and some not at all.   I have an unruptured aneursym measuring 3mm and it has stayed the same for the past 8 1/2 years since it was discovered.  Although at that time an 8mm one ruptured.  I have annual scans to check them both.   Of course we are all different and the location of the aneurysm also plays an important part in their assessment. 

One thing I have learnt over the years is that neuro departments can appear to be quite slow in their responses, which for us can cause a lot anxiety.  I know they are extremely busy and will be prioritising their patients etc, but I do think you ought to ring them again if you don't hear something soon.  It's impossible to say how concerned they may be until they make contact with you.    It's the not knowing that can become difficult to deal with. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

Sarah

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2017 at 07:16, kempse said:

Hi CJ, 

That will be quite a worrying time for you which is not helped by the lack of speed having been referred as urgent by the neurologist.   

Whilst I am not medically qualified in any way, I did read this on the internet which states the different sizes and their classifications:    Small aneurysms are less than 5 mm (1/4 inch). Medium aneurysms are 6–15 mm (1/4 to 3/4 inch). Large aneurysms are 16–25 mm (3/4 to 1 1/4 inch). Giant aneurysms are larger than 25 mm (1 1/4 inch).14 Nov 2016

It is my understanding that although aneurysms could potentially rupture at any size, the chances of it doing so increase the bigger it is.  Some aneurysms grow in size, some more quickly than others and some not at all.   I have an unruptured aneursym measuring 3mm and it has stayed the same for the past 8 1/2 years since it was discovered.  Although at that time an 8mm one ruptured.  I have annual scans to check them both.   Of course we are all different and the location of the aneurysm also plays an important part in their assessment. 

One thing I have learnt over the years is that neuro departments can appear to be quite slow in their responses, which for us can cause a lot anxiety.  I know they are extremely busy and will be prioritising their patients etc, but I do think you ought to ring them again if you don't hear something soon.  It's impossible to say how concerned they may be until they make contact with you.    It's the not knowing that can become difficult to deal with. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

Sarah

Thanks Sarah hope all is well with you thanks again

• Like 2

Hiya CJ,

Hospitals do not understand the urgency and stress we go through.

So I agree with what Super has put,  see Doc and ask for results via him xx 

Hope all goes well and lets know how you get on  

Good luck 

Win xx