My Darling Linda

paul99

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Paul! Lin is doing so well, a true star.  I know you will rise to the challenge of giving Lin that extra stimulation which will enhance the fantastic job you are already doing.   

Love to you both,

Sarah

Hi Paul :)

Magical moments for you and LIn :) hope you get that extra funding really soon and the surgeons replace the plate back in. Wonderful news Lin is doing so well. Take good care of yourself too Paul.

Love to you both

Tina xx

Hi Paul,

This is a truly inspirational tale and one that shows how resilient and strong we can be. Progress  is an individual thing and is one that incites momentum once it gets going.

I salute your love and devotion to Lin and your dedication to her continuing journey. The toll on you and the strain you must have been under is immense. 

Of all the stories I have followed, yours is the most heart wrenching but heart warming at the same time. 

You both deserve all the good luck in the world.I hope you get it.

Macca

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just an update, lin has been through the mill again with the phyiso and o/t and speech therapist over the last couple of weeks and surpassing expectations.  They all are very happy with lins progress and shocked at some of the things lins been doing which has made me very happy and chuffed that lin is doing so well.

Its all small things, but to lin they are massive steps forwards. I've been told little steps are better than long ones as the little steps are more than likely to remain and improve over time, so a very tired Paul is happy.

Macca some of the stress I've gone under has been massive but in all honesty most of the stress has made me angry which gave me some level of strength, but if I can be honest its the members of BTG  that have pulled me through during some very dark and painful times and prevented me doing something stupid.

So BTG  has to take all the credit of supporting lin and me and given me the love and strength to carry on supporting lin, which I will until my body gives up on me, the love we had is still within me and I cant accept anything else because of my love for lin and the promise I made years ago to lin, that I will always love her and would never leave her.

Lin completes my life in a way I have never ever felt before and I cannot imagine her leaving me and having to face life without her.  If this is love I wish every one could have the same I really do.

Hugs and cuddles to you all, god bless you all for everything xxxx Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody

Again I'm sorry for the delay in updating you all.

Lin is doing well the right arm movement is now going at such a pace instead of asking Lin to move her arm Lin is doing it independently and when Lin see's my hand she quickly moves and clasps my hand  a very nice feeling believe me.

We have also realised that at certain times, quite randomly we catch yes and no coming from Lin in context, another first but its nice to know Lin is trying so hard. We found that the stimulant they are using will be withdrawn, the consultant has assured me that Lin's improvement will not diminish as the drug is used to wake the brain up and it does have long term benefits, so fingers crossed.

The o/t and phyiso's are working with the  techie people to test out Lin with a computer with a button to see if she can switch off and on the music or tv, but they are also putting a programme on a computer to see how Lin can experiment .

So it looks like a quick trip to Curry's or Argos when we know which type of computer is needed. I did ask if they meant a computer or tablet, it means a computer with key board . My mind is going into overdrive, are they hoping Lin will start to use the keyboard ooooooh!!!!!!  It would be wonderful to see only time will tell,

I found out yesterday that the hospital may discharge Lin in three weeks, in a way hooray, but it fills me with fear of the unknown. Will my darling keep improving and will I hear her voice telling me to bog off LOL. I think its call unknown anticipation.

Lin has been moved off the ward to another due to neglect by a couple of carers, the police and the vulnerable adults team have been called in by me because of it, they have been suspended pending charges because of what has happened. I've been very reluctant to leave Lin so i'm quite tired.

The support from the higher ups and the Matron I had been dealing with who were so shocked at what happened, have asked the vulnerable adults team to interview all relative's on the ward that Lin was in. It has made me very very angry and upset and as I told the boss's, you upset Linda, I will report anyone who abuses any patient by neglect or verbal abuse,  which I witnessed. I have never neglected a patient in my 45 years plus in the NHS and I will not tolerate it from anyone else

Sorry for the last paragraph but I'm angry, just because everyone on that ward has varying types of brain injury but still demand to be treated respectfully and with gentle aftercare.

Thank you for allowing me to vent, bless you all, love to you all from the lovely Lin and me xxx

Paul, your determination combined with such a good understanding of what is 'good care' has made you the most amazing advocate, not just for Lin but it sounds like for any other vulnerable person that shares her ward.

Well done again for speaking up, so sad that the need to has arisen but glad you are being supported and even bigger hooray at Lin's progress, for her to be able to communicate with you must feel like doors have been unlocked. 

Take care now. 

Paul, so pleased that Lin continues to improve and extremely happy and proud of you for speaking up against neglect.  I did the same for my hubby last year after his motorbike accident and he was moved to the Rehab unit within days.  When it's a CARING profession then Care should be paramount, I hate that some people go in to it because they like the control feeling and then the sickos that like to abuse vulnerable people!!

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that Lin continues to improve.  Not so happy to hear your story about the 'carers.'  You were right to report them and it is better to do it quickly so the problem is addressed and the offenders brought to book.

Please keep it in context though - don't let the bad behaviour of a couple of individuals spoil the overall picture which is Lin's continued improvement.

Don't forget all the good stuff that has been done, whilst at the same time doing what you can to root out these unsavoury individuals.  When these things happen, I always query the supervision and management. How was it that they allowed this to develop and happen and how long it has been going on for?

Rise above it by continuing to demand and receive the best for Lin.  I hope the individuals concerned are properly dealt with, either by going, or if they are allowed to stay, that they have had remedial training with appropriate warnings and supervision.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Macca

Paul - totally agree with everything Macca has said.  As infuriating as it is, you need to stay calm otherwise you'll be labelled as something other than a concerned partner.

Love and hugs to both you and Lin xxx

Paul, it was lovely once again to hear that Lin is trying so hard and improvements are there for you to both see and hear.

I can appreciate your 'unknown anticipaton' of how things may go, but I think it should be quite an exciting time. Lin has worked so hard over recent weeks and what she has managed to do is quite amazing - I'm sure she'll have a few more surprises up her sleeve for you!

I'm sorry you've had to deal with the other issue, the actions of a few affect so many and behaviour like that is inexcusable.

Take care,

Sarah 

Hi Macca, Sami, Daff & Sarah,

Thank you for your support I am a lot calmer now having met the management who are disgusted as I am, They have defined that they were outside agency workers, please don't think I have slurred the regular staff because they have been brilliant and I have brought that to the management attention.  It appears someone messed up the schedule for staffing hence the agency workers and they are reviewing what happened and will prevent agency workers coming in.

The company who supplied the staff have lost the contract as of yesterday, but the staff on the new ward have shown compassion so we are starting with a new leaf. I have always praised for good work but unfortunately  the odd one slips by the net.

Yes I do agree that Lin may carry on and surprise me, it would be lovely if she does. I love her so i'm in for the long haul and look forward to more cuddles, love from both lin and me  xx

Hey Paul,

That's what we're here for.  Give yourself a pat on the back for bringing it all to the manager's attention.  Hopefully they will put measures in place to rectify the issues you raised.  None of us are perfect, but the reaction to what you told them is the indicator for me. They appear to have accepted what you have said and agreed that on this occasion standards slipped.  Their reaction is a positive one, so accept what they are doing in good faith but keep an eye on things, and more importantly a record, in case of future mishaps!

The good guys don't always win the battle but they win the war.  Paul, you have won the day in this case - well done!  It's always difficult to stay objective when loved ones are involved but the fact is, others are affected too and in looking after your own, you have benefitted the other patients/clients and that can only be a good thing!

Macca

Hi everyone,

This I had to let you know, the o/t and speech therapist dropped a bombshell in my lap today.

Linda over the last few days has been using a clicker to turn a radio on and off and they connected the clicker to the TV  and tried her with changing channels.

The bombshell. Linda needs a laptop computer so they can put some programs on, which can be linked screen wise to the TV, which has a bigger screen, because Lin has shown promise and Lin can use the clicker to move around. Its all been done in the mornings before I get there.

That has blown me away, stunned is not the word, gob smacked would be truer expression.

So I've just been to a super store on the way back to the flat and not only got VAT exemption but a very large slice of the price taken off.  So tomorrow they can put whatever programs on for Lin, so light the touch paper and stand back I hope.

Lin has also spoken today,  yes and no, a bit growler but it was understandable.

Happy chappy doing cartwheels love to all from Lin and me   xxxxxxxxxxxxx  

Well done Lin and Paul,

My Hubby when visiting me saw a lady not being fed by a carer, after that he made sure I was never alone, so my Daughter and Hubby took turns in being up the hospital with me, and I did say some daft things so I've been told lol

Anyway glad Lin is still improving as it has been a long haul for the 2 of you.  So keep up the good work as we all need our loved ones near and close at hand. 

Well done the pair of you xx

Win x  

As for the TV theme Paul, all I can say is: wait for it................."Absolutely Fabulous." 

Don't groan, best I could do on the spur of the moment! (For those across the pond - it's a UK Sitcom).

Brilliant news Paul, very happy for you!

Macca

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Well Lin has made my day, but it was a worrying situation, but I was assured that no feed was running at the time Lin was found in her room in bed waving her peg feed tube after pulling it out [PAINFUL].  She was seen waving her right hand and arm with the peg feed tube from side to side watching it and laughing.

The tube is about 18 inch's long with a balloon on the end, the image of her flopping it side to side and laughing really tickled my fancy  [ im sorry but that's my sense of humour ] but I was assured that there was no damage caused.

The person who's loading the computer is on holiday but will be back on Wednesday.

The neuro stimulant was stopped last week but some symptoms reappeared the tremors and tongue flicking with a vengeance  the outcome is that the neuro stimulant is being recommenced as of tomorrow so the improvements may still continue after discharge,

One of the carers came in the room today and spent time with Lin and I can affirm that Lin has a very dirty laugh. She is trying to get Lin to say bog off and that's when Lin give 's a very dirty laugh.

So another good day. Next week I will be taking Lin back to the nursing home with support being arranged either at the home or hospital and the consultant is recommending the plate be replaced with a ceramic platem which has infection  inhibiters within the plate, So there should be no problem with infections in the future.

So from Lin and me all our love hugs and cuddles xx

Archived