My Darling Linda

paul99

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone

Well the day arrives tomorrow when lin will be discharged with a massive program of rehab to be carried out at the nursing home and arrangements have been made or requested of the gp.

The computer has been loaded up with rehab programs and music so lin can stop and start whatever music she wants by using the clicker which has been modified to fit into a usb port.

I have a file that's over three inch's in depth with instructions for me and the staff to help lin getting whatever she can from the stimulations.

The neuro stimulant has started to work again, the tremors have almost stopped and lin is moving her arm and thumb. The laugh has returned,  the tremors and tongue flicking is linked to the Parkinson syndrome caused by the bleed, but if all goes well we have new targets to set and achieve all being well.

So we are beginning a new chapter in our lives with new challenges and hopes,

Me with a bit of trepidation and a bit like a fish out of water but I will try my best to help lin achieve whatever she can.

So for now hugs and cuddles to you all love from both lin and me xxxxxxxxxxxxx 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of input things have been hectic since lin came back keeping up with all the stimulation exercise's. 

Lin is doing well despite a dr messing up her drug regime but its all sorted now and lin seems to be doing well.

Yesterday lins birthday was one of those days where you think it will be more of the same.

HOW WRONG CAN ONE BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lin was still in bed waiting to be got up and I walked into her room with the manager behind me with a huge flower display who brought into her eye line her eyes were like door stops and the vocal exclamation that's came from lin was one heck of a shocker lin started to cry I think because the flowers were all her favourites and I must admit it did look fantastic the manager was shocked and started to cry she has known lin since the beginning.

Then I got one of her presents a very large Charlie bear and sat it on her bed just within her reach and the right arm and hand shot out and started to stroke the leg of the bear quite vigorously but gently and then moved to hold its paw  she pulled it to herself and put her arm around him and pulled him to her and the tears started big time it rocked me so much my tears started.

The girls got lin up into her chair and lin wouldn't stop being vocal until we put the bear on her lap the look lin gave me was out of this world a sign of recognition and I think love and a thank you was so plain to see.

Lin had new outfits which lin looked stunning in and all thoughts of doing the exercises went out the window lins hand was all over the teddy bear and she wouldn't leave it alone it was really beautiful to witness in fact the whole day was lovely lin stayed awake all day and was very attentive to everyone who came and wished her a happy birthday and lin did react so so well.

The chef came up with a birthday cake for lin I know lin cant eat but the cake was shared out with the other residents and because everyone else has one why not lin again the reaction was really positive and so much better than its ever been before and we all sang happy birthday and her tears started to flow again and mine along with most of the staff blubbing along with us.

The girls took lin back to her room at about three thirty and as they started to go into her room lin stuck her hand out onto the door frame and started to get vocal as if she didn't want to go back into her room we started laughing and as we drew away from the door and moved past the door frame lin grabbed to door handle properly as if to say I don't want to go to bed.

We were all hysterical with laughter there was lin holding onto the door handle properly and it to us said that lin did not want to go to bed.

We took her back into the lounge for another half hour and when we did take her back to bed lin fell into a relaxed sleep which looked fantastic it was a day of some lovely tender moments and some totally unexpected reactions some hilarious laughter and actions that we would never have expected but I love lin for making yesterday a fantastic wonderful day.

I'm a happy bunny even today and I cant get the images out of my mind, fantastic.

Love to you all.

P.S. does anyone know what Charlie bears are and why they are so special. I liked it when I saw it, so an impulse buy ,but the reaction was worth lin lovely jubblee.

Love from Lin and me xx 

Hi Paul ..thanks for giving us a wonderful snapshot of Lin`s birthday yesterday.

You are obviously overjoyed at her reactions to what can only be said as `the wonderful thoughtfulness of her devoted `other half` `

Paul your refusal to give up is a big lesson to all of us and you must be so proud of her. Well done to both of you.

Subs

Paul that was fantastic post to read first this morning.  So glad that Lin had a lovely birthday - I have a tear in my eye myself, you've had such a long journey so these moments make it all so worth while.  Thanks for sharing - hugs to you both xx

Paul, Ive just read your post with tears in my eyes you must've felt 10 foot tall on Lins birthday!

You asked why Charlie Bears are so special. I can only give you my opinion as a Bear collector, I have many Charlie bears, either bought because of their name (take a look on the tags, they all have a name) for example I have one called Alfie (our dog) I also like to buy one if we are out for the day as a memory of where we've been.

Buying Lin a Charlie Bear was the best present you could've chosen, you've given Lin something very special to hold/cuddle. bears are really good at holding onto memories?Ok, I'm starting to get a little sentimental now.

Love and hugs to you both

Jan xx

Hi Paul,

It was lovely to read your update, it sounds like you all had a wonderful day for Lin`s Birthday,

What a lovely reaction to the teddy bear, it brought tears to my eyes.

It`s been a very long road for you both and I hope things continue to improve for Lin,

BIG hugs to you both, stay strong.

Love

Michelle xx 

Thank you all for your lovely comments yes I still have my smile I cant take it off.

Jan I will look and let you know what its its name, but to me its Charlie bear, so will let you know tomorrow. Lin was still holding on to him today, so good therapy for lin, hugs and cuddles to you all. 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

I'm sorry I haven't put anything in recently as things went a bit haywire with lin and some very scary moments which had me worrying so  much.

Everything was going lovely until December the 11th when lin screamed with so much pain which tipped her over the edge causing her to pass out ! All hxxl let loose and lin was taken to hospital for an alleged fit.  Nothing was done by the hospital and was discharged back to the home after nine hours.

Ten days later it happened again and Lin was rushed to a neuro hospital a bit further away to north staffs who ran a set of tests and scans with no confirmed diagnosis. Was released back to the home. Since then lin has been a very unhappy lady most of the time which dragged me down so much

Trying to get the rehab hospital to send someone to see her was like trying to bang my head against the brick wall.  There was no support at,  all even trying to get the neurologist who see's lin every four months was unavailable and they were dismissive as to trying to get an appointment.

I even had major problems trying to get phyiso  for lin. The hospital she goes to for botox said lin was out of area,, even the hospital closest to us said she was out of area, but after running around I managed to get the community phyiso's to come and treat lin. We can only get six weeks at a time and they are doing a report to ensure that phyiso will continue despite lin not being a happy lady. When they sit her on the side of the bed and asks lin  if she wants a cuddle the right arm  comes up like a rocket and when I move in to cuddle her at first lin is so tense but all of a sudden she relaxes which feels really lovely.

It wasn't until last Wednesday when we got an appointment with the neurologist who recommended lin to go for rehab at QE who examined lin and knew what was wrong and planned what he was going to do.  Really helped me because I was really down and not feeling too good which he picked up on.

We had over an hour and half with him instead of what I anticipated,  he was so thorough. It seems the drugs she had been prescribed were counter productive. He is arranging more ct scans to rule out any internal reason for her screaming in pain, which since we have been back, we think might have been the cause and have taken steps to confirm or denies the cause.

He is changing all her meds and arranging for injections into her right shoulder which is part of the reason she is in pain so hopefully things might settle down.

I went to see some friends in January who took me to an antique centre just to have a days break, as I really didn't feel good and the manager forced me to have a days break. They took me into a teddy bear shop and came out with a lighter bank balance big time and two Charlie bears one called chucky bear  and joey and Skippy which is over 2' tall and with a rotating head which lin did like when I went in the following day.

I'm sorry I've gone on so much, I do look on here every day, but just didn't feel up to supporting other members the way I normally do, because I've been so down and in all honestly I didn't really care because of what I've gone through over the last few months im sorry.

I do love you all xxxxxxxxxxxxx Paul       

Paul

It is lovely to see you back on here, I think about You and Lin often,I'm sorry that yet again you've had to battle for the help that Lin needs and deserves, when you mentioned the physios  sitting Lin on the bed to cuddle you it made me cry, What a Special 'moment in time' for you. I will keep this post short, I know many others will be replying soon so I won't take up the whole page !! Ha ha !One last thing, You are a man after my own heart. . . I have a little motto since my SAH. . . . Stuff the bank balance, buy a Bear (or two) !!??

Lots of love and hugs to you both

Jan xx

Hi Paul,

So sorry that you and Lin have had such a bad time, your post brought tears to my eyes, i really hope they get to the bottom of what is causing Lin's pain and get her feeling more comfortable. 

Sending both you and Lin big hugs & lots of love.

Love

Michelle xx

Oh Paul. Poor you and Lin.

First I'm glad that they seem to have found a cause for the pain, it's so hard to not be able to help or take away pain for someone else that it brings you down. Good it seems to be on the way to getting sorted.

Second, I'm glad you had a little 'bear ' break and keep having a few of those , it really will help you emotionally.

Keep on keeping on Paul, there is always someone here to listen and support you as you have done for others 

Steady does  it ! 

Sorry to hear about your Lin,  Paul,  it must be awful for you both.

I do hope they find out what it is and hope it isn't Epilepsy.

She and you have been through a lot so I do hope all is well for you Both.

Good luck to you Both and keep your chins up  the pair of you.

Regards

Winb143 

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you have been able to update your thread, but saddened that you've had another difficult period to cope with.  Little wonder it all got on top of you, it must have been so frustrating.

I do hope things settle down soon for Lin, fingers crossed they will.   I'm sure you will feel much better once Lin is happier in herself.  

It was nice of your friends to give you a break - you certainly need one of those now and again.

Take care,

Sarah

Hello Paul.  thanks for finding the strength to pass on your frank thoughts.

So sorry to learn about how Lin has been. Christmas time and New Year must have been so difficult for you.

It is encouraging that in recent days you have found help with a new approach to Lin`s medication. I do hope this will relieve her of the terrible pain.

Paul, we will never know how much you yourself have suffered both physically and mentally as you have tried to cope with the ups and downs in Lin`s condition over such a long time. One thing is certain, in BTG you do have so many friends that genuinely care about you both.

It was good that your friends helped you get some `time out`.

Take care Paul

Subs

Thanks for sharing Paul, must be very hard especially when you see someone you love be in so much pain.  Hopefully new treatment will help Lin, shoulder pain can be excruciating.  

You do do need to have those breaks as need to look after yourself too and you feeling better will help Lin too.

Take care and I hope things improve quickly x

Archived