Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


By registering with us, you'll be able to view our forums in full as well as discuss, share and private message other members of Behind The Gray. Why not join us now?


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


weedrea last won the day on May 26

weedrea had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

163 Excellent

About weedrea

  • Rank
  • Birthday 14/05/1976

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Western Isles

Recent Profile Visitors

461 profile views
  1. weedrea

    Collagen rich food

    It'd help if I'd booked the actual report I copied that from! Trying to trace my surfing route.... http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/strokeaha/46/7/1813.full.pdf https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00552714/document This is the one with the quote... https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/28671/Long-Term+Excess+Mortality+after+Aneurysmal+Subarachnoid+Hemorrhage.pdf;jsessionid=B3E4B15C2C83D01AF8D9905953A9F3A2?sequence=1 Report is called "Long-Term Excess Mortality after Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage"
  2. weedrea

    Collagen rich food

    You got me reading medical research documents again! lol One concluding quote from one that seemed interesting: 'Therefore, aneurysmal SAH should be viewed more as one aspect of a chronic general vascular disease, and more attention should be given to treatment of risk factors and long-term follow-up of these patients.' So I'd presume having more collagen can't be bad.
  3. weedrea

    Collagen rich food

    That's an interesting discussion you had. I don't eat any meat other than fish but when I had my SAH was when I was closer to veggie than pescatarian. I've always had my own thoughts that I hadn't been eating enough collagen at the time. I've also got arthritic wrists so I've started upping my protein and taking joint supplements (I'm trying some that are for bodybuilders...the website advertising them is the scariest thing I've ever seen lol!!). Hoping it helps protect my head too! Every now and then I also get a burst vein on my finger or thumb without a trauma. Apparently it's just a random thing some people get but always makes me think my "vein health" isn't that good.
  4. weedrea

    My life after my stroke

  5. weedrea

    Kay - new member

    This made me laugh...when I was in hospital the poor woman in the bed opposite me (who was immobile and couldn't really speak after a stroke) had a baked potato and cheese for lunch and dinner every day for the 10 days I was there! The nurses were always worrying that they weren't really communicating with her to understand what she really wanted. But finally her daughter put their mind at easy by saying she had baked potatoes every day before she was ill! And as for Nimodipine - uggg that was awful. I too was in during the summer and it was SOOOO warm that I was asking for ice packs at night. I suffer from v. cold hands and a constantly freezy nose (Raynauds) and the Nimodipine made all my extremities hot....and my nose itches constantly for 3 weeks. Nearly drove me mad!!! I later found out sometimes they give people with Raynauds Nimodipine as a treatment.....ahhh that'll be a no! Happy to stick with the cold nose!
  6. weedrea

    Lynn413 - New member

    Lynn congrats on your recovery and on finding us! I'm 2.5 years since my bleed and completely remember the "angry over the smallest thing" phase. It went on quite a while. I've always had a shockingly short temper and just thought it was something that had got more pronounced after my bleed (my poor husband). In the end I realised it was a sign I needed a nap....a bit like a grumpy toddler. So off to bed for 30 mins and then everything came back into balance again. Took about 9 months before I could last a whole day without my grumpiness showing up. Good luck on your continued recovery. Andrea
  7. weedrea

    Newbie -Linda

    Welcome! My bleed was from an aneurysm but thankfully was a small bleed. I had 10 days in hospital (surgery on day 2) and was sent on my way with very little information. This site has been so helpful, especially understanding what the first few months would be like from other people's experience. As I say my bleed was small but I still took 3 months before I went back to work and then a further 3 months to get up to full time. During that time I was having daily naps. Even now when I have stressful days at work (like this week!) I go back to having evening naps. Definitely helps to reset yourself. Your theory on why your bleed happened is a bit like mine. I had been exercising WAY too hard in the days before my bleed and definitely feel I pushed too hard and that may have caused it. It's a difficult one because I really want to understand why it happened and "it's just one of those things that can happen" didn't really cut it. After time I found the need for a firm reason abates a little bit (I've no family history, no high blood pressure, don't smoke, don't do drugs!) but it did annoy me for a while. It's the feeling that there's nothing really that could have been done to know about it or indeed stop it takes a while to sink in. As others have said, take it easy on yourself during your recovery. Think of it like a broken leg....it takes a while for everything to heal and for you to gain your strength again. I found my dog was very helpful in my recovery (at the time he was a 14 year old golden retriever...he's just passed his 16th birthday!!). I'd take him 2 min walks, then next week 5 mins etc. Really helped improve my confidence of going out and being by myself (even though it was within spitting distance of home!) . Andrea
  8. weedrea

    2 year anniversary

    Many thanks for all the kind messages. Been a strange day compared to last year - it's been full of "at this time I was leaving you to get on the plane to the hospital...." "This was when I phoned you to say...." etc. Feels like a lifetime ago and a lot has happened since. I know I've been hugely fortunate in my recovery and for that I'm very grateful. And grateful for BTG too. Regardless of where we are in our new journey, this site is a wonderful safe haven for us and the support and kind words from people we'll probably never meet in person is just priceless. Reading your stories of recovery, perseverance and hope have been a real comfort and strength to me (and I'll admit, some have been the bringer of a few tears too!). I seem to have taken it on as my new task to make sure anyone I ever hear about having a SAH or brain injury know about this site! Not sure if they've ever been on the site but I've contacted three complete strangers in the last couple of months who mentioned in passing on Twitter that they'd had an SAH. I wish everyone in our position was aware of this site and the support it offers. Love Andrea x
  9. Today is my two year anniversary...how time flies! I was just about to get up to make a cuppa tea but told my hubby he had to do it as that's what I was doing when I had my SAH. Always pays to be careful! Plus today my GP phoned to say my 2-year scan showed no changes from last year.....YAY!
  10. Glasgow efficiency at its best...in and out in 15 min and left the hospital 10 mins before my actual appointment time. So pjs and toothbrush not required! Now for that long journey home.
  11. I'm travelling to Glasgow on Monday for my 2 year scan following my SAH (end of July 2015). I live an hours drive and an hours flight away from Glasgow on one of the Scottish islands. Last year when I went for my scan my parents met me there for a few days holiday. This time I'll be travelling alone. When I think back to my trip to the local hospital on that fateful night I was grateful my hubby had thought I should take an overnight bag....(I think it was only pjs and a toothbrush but very useful all the same!). I was discharged and and then went back in later in the day for a precautionary scan....3 hrs later I was on the medivac plane (alone) with my slightly under-resourced overnight bag which I'd luckily left in the car. It got me thinking...how do others who have to travel prepare for trips back to hospital? Do I take an overnight bag just in case, phone chargers, a book? Food?! Seems silly to think about it as my trip will see me leaving the house at 7am and be back home by 5.30pm. Does anyone else have a "just in case" bag? Andrea
  12. weedrea


    As others have said, you're still early in your recovery and this is a major trauma you've been through. I had fatigue for about 6 months and I notice still that I cope much more poorly after a bad night's sleep or if I'm stressed. Lots of water and lots of naps...it was a good 4 or 5 months before I stopped my daily half hour nap. Remember this is a big injury so be easy on yourself as it definitely takes a long time to recover/stabilise after it.
  13. I had been pushing myself extremely hard on the cross trainer in the weeks before my SAH. Whilst I wasn't on the machine at the time of my bleed i have a suspicion it may have had a role in it. I had been doing an hour with heart rate in excess of 160. I am back on the machine now but slowly built it up over the last year starting at 10 mins and now I'm up to 50. I'm very careful now to never let my heart rate spike. I try to average 130 with maximum of 140 or so. It is a little boring but it's certainly still enough to feel the health benefits. That's just my take on it and it probably is best to speak with your doctor. Mine was very relaxed about it all and just said to do what you're comfortable with. Andrea
  14. weedrea

    Renfield New Member

    I know the feeling exactly. I live in the Western Isles and was treated in Glasgow. It's such a pain having to travel! I did try to get follow-up scans at Inverness but that took forever to organise with it being a different health board. Plus, it added about another 4 weeks for me to get results, which didn't help my stress levels much! Hopefully you've got a supportive GP which definitely helps. All the best in your recovery.... Andrea
  15. weedrea

    Non aneurysm sah - new member - Wendy

    I understand it take around 3 months for the blood in your brain to be cleared away but beyond that tiredness/headaches etc. can continue for longer. I'm 15 months past a bleed and whilst I've been back to *normal* for months now, I notice stress at work does bring the old symptoms back again. For me it was supermarkets that were the worst...too many lights, people and noise! I'm just glad I can hide away on my little island away from madness! Take it slow and steady....have lots of water and lots of siestas!