A Dented Image - Alison Wertheimer

A Dented Image

Journeys of Recovery from Subarachnoid Haemorrhage

Author - Alison Wertheimer

Year 2008

ISBN 9780415386722

Format - Paperback - 296 Pages

Every year, 8,500 people in the UK will have a subarachnoid haemorrhage, of whom about 50 per cent will survive this traumatic brain injury which often occurs without warning. Survivors can make a 'good' neurological recovery but the psychosocial impact can be longer lasting. Drawing from her own experience of surviving a subarachnoid haemorrhage, together with other people's journeys of recovery and recent research findings, Alison Wertheimer covers: themes of recovery; leaving neurocare and early days of recovery; looking for help; physical, sensory and cognitive effects; the emotional impact of subarachnoid haemorrhage; the survivor's relationship with family and friends; returning to work; what helped the survivors with their recovery; and, subarachnoid haemorrhage as a life-changing event."A Dented Image" will be of interest to a wide-ranging audience: survivors and their families and friends; health professionals working with people recovering from acute brain injury in hospital and community-based services including doctors, nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and other members of rehabilitation teams.It may also be of interest to people recovering from other traumatic illnesses or injuries.

Quite a few of BTG's members have taken part in Alison's book.

It's well worth the read, for survivors and their family...

• Like 2

Hi Michelle,

For some reason, I think that we lost this thread on the SAH Forum when we transferred to new software and I've only just noticed it! However, it's a really valuable and easy to read book for all SAH'ers, whatever stage they're at.

I'm okay thanks.... :wink: xx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Karen,

I'm an 'oldie' but I did buy this book a couple of years ago (David, I ordered it from Amazon). I still haven't read it all. It was easy to follow the experiences of others but I found a lot of the factual statistics a bit too confusing. My brain likes everything to be very simple or I get put off. Now that you have reminded me about it I might take another look sometime.

Michelle xx

I haven't read this one, I might take a peek.

I've read two SAH books, one was rebooting my brain by Maria Ross and that was excellent for how she managed her reovery and also Falling and Laughing by Grace Collins which charts the singer Edwyn Collins efforts to recover post SAH. That has a lot of humour in it but was also useful for understanding the partner view.

Actually think I'll go back and read Rebooting as it would be good to read again later.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book about 6 months ago, I thought it was ok but for me personally I found it a bit tricky to follow, it jumped around a bit with different quotes from many people's experiences.

I have to be honest and was surprised it was written this was way as I know a lot of SAH survivors have struggles with reading following their SAH.

I felt it would have been better to have each survivors story/ advice per chapter.

Only my honest opinion though so don't be put of trying it.

SL Xx

• 7 months later...

Hi Karen,

I got this book from Amazon and I've started to read it. Very easy to read on the eye, even with my difficulties :-D

I hope other people enjoy it because it is brilliant and tackles the issues that we are all having as a "survivor". I have found the best way is to just read for a short time - any longer than that and I can't cope.

Alison x

• 4 months later...

Hi

I also bought this book after reading about it here. I just read it in chunks too. But the best thing for me about it is that it has really helped my husband understand things a lot better. Several people at my work really didn't understand that even though I look fine now, I'm still recovering. He even explained it to a few of my male colleagues at drinks the other night. I'm back to half time and he told them I often have to go home and nap between classes.

So, even if you're struggling to read this at the moment, give it to your partner or family.

Joanna

• 2 years later...

I am recent reader of this book and it is fantastic; it has been aligned so well and my husband(had SAH in OCt '16) relate to what has happened to us and appreciate how far we have come!

Fully recommend it!

Shobs xx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I actually found my way to this site because of this very book, having recently suffered from a SAH and being sent home from the hospital with no information what so ever, I had a lot of questions and it was so frustrating being completely in the dark about everything.

My partner found this book for me and it's amazing, I honestly can't speak highly enough of it, it has helped me so much reading about other peoples experiences in such a constructive way. The layout of the book is great as well, having it divided up into small manageable chunks has made all the difference for me as my concentration comes and goes. I also just wanted to say thank you to all of the people who contributed to this book, it's been such a great help to me, thank you.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I read this book a couple of years ago in my 1st year of recovery. I found it really useful, especially as at that time i hadnt found this group and i really wanted to hear the experiences of others. But i did find it upsetting at times and a bit hard to follow due to my problems with processing. At around the same time i watched the film 'my beautiful broken brain', of which i related to immensely. Not exactly comparable as it is a film focusing on one persons experiences , but it was good to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1