Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sign in to follow this  
amexdm

Current Health Status

Please rate your current health since SAH on a scale of 1 to 10  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Please rate your current health since SAH on a scale of 1 to 10

amexdm    10

Please rate your current health status since your SAH on a scale of 1 to 10. Although we have up and down days, please rate your overall feeling on an ongoing basis.

MaryB    26

That is a hard one to answer- I really took in account all the areas in my life and where I stand day to day with where I most at- which is a 5 but lowest now is a 4, highs are 6 maybe a 7 at best. I wonder if anyone has higher days than a 7?

Of course I call in bad all day with a banging headache, can't see or get up a 1 or 2,

fatiqued a 3 or 4,

With a 5 I am getting though my day with struggles wishing I would win the lottery so I can nap instead of work and I do make mistakes as I am not as sharp or on target with my thoughts and actions. I do nothing after work that requires any energy or brain power.

6- I can really enjoy parts of my day while working, pay bills, feel productive, do some chores, go out to dinner normal~ stuff people do daily without notice.

7-Holy Cow hold me back I am using any creative energy to clean the house and catch up on chores.

8-Don;t know that I have 8's very often anymore- maybe a pain free freak energy day twice or 3 x's a year?

9 or 10???? That would be able to do what I wanted, when I wanted and not pay for it by going one step forward & 4 steps back the rest of the week or even 10 days. Don't recall this feeling anymore.

Interesting question.

Louise    1,283

Its a very difficult one to answerI dont think I have an overall answer that so going to give this one a miss....

Sandi K    26

It is tough. I want to answer but I'm not sure how.

If I answered in March while buried in blankets of fatigue while trying to work the result would be different from today. I'm still not recovered but much better and rested from March. If I answer after doing brain games and rehab the answer would be different than if I've had 2 hours of quiet time. I know, you want a general answer that covers 'overall' how we are feeling.

I guess it's hard because I go from one extreme to the other so fast. And I still have the problem with thinking I'm cured when I feel well. Although I am getting better with that one by learning to pace myself more.

I have to think about this before I answer. Do I compare my overall health now to pre-SAH? To right after SAH, a few months after, a year after?

Sandi K.

Karen    13,835

The poll is a tough one to answer and I compared myself as to what I was like pre-SAH. The response to the poll is going to be different for everyone, as we're all at different recovery stages too, so that will make a huge difference.

I've averaged my score over a typical 7 day week ... I scored myself at 5. Seven years on, I still have good days and bad days, but believe that I'm only at 50% capacity as to pre-SAH levels.

Not sure that any of that helps! :wink: xx

• Like 1

amexdm    10

Hello all:

Thanks for your responses. Let me try and clarify. Try and give the answer you would give your doctor if he asked for your overall health score today. If he/she said give me just one number. My answer would be a 6 or similarly 60% healthy.

At a 6 I can work, but it's not easy or fun. A 10 would be 100% feel great and feel like you did before SAH. Not many of us will feel that. I say this and ask everyone's opinion becasue my goal is 80%. I was at 77% before my wife's health issue in December but am now back to 60%

I think Karen hit it on the head and say take an average for the week. An example might be:

Mon-7

Tue-7

Wed-6

Thurs-5

Fri-5

Sat-6

Sun-6

Total of 42 points divided by 7 days =6

Mary- I agree with your symptoms and have the same. All days are different but for the purpose of survey it looks like you're a 5?

Sandi- You have been thru many changes lately. But if your doctor told you to pick one number today what would it be? Use the weekly model if it helps.

Karen- Thanks for your input. I think you are spot on. Sorry to see you are a 5 though.

Anyone who wishes to contribute or vote, I welcome their opinion. I'm just trying to get to a manageable level of work, home and social that I hope will reach me at an 8 or 80% health.

Thank you everyone,

David

MaryB    26

I understand that problem with this question although I am interested at where everyone is at currently. It is like pain scale 1-10..

Well hell bells I think we all know NOW what a 10 is & we should never be at a 10 again so I always have to clarify my pain level excluding ever having a SAH and feeling that pain (?) - now I cannot even say 8-9 or 10 again (hopefully) unless I broke my leg, was delivering a baby or something major.

My normal miserable pain is a 7 or 8 cannot imagine a 8 or 9 after having a SAH being a 10.

Yes david I am a 5 - stuck in the middle with a 10 personality - I like to work hard, I like to be productive, I like to get my hand dirty working the earth, I judge myself and others on how productive they are at work.

I still think I can deliver more with my fibro and SAH etc than a lot of other personalites (SP) of being rather slow & not multi tasking or able to look at situation and prioritize it. I can only use that skill at work and I have a very hard time telling people what they need to be doing as I can move it out of my brain to my lips to speak!

Carl    12

Physically I am tired.

My emotions are pretty good although I did cry watching Beautiful Mind last night. I have more empathy. my mental health is suffering most I think.

Lack of motivation, difficulty in making decisions and I am tending to dwell on my mental health issues rather than working through them

But I have been much much worse than I am now so I am happy with my results

Louise    1,283

David, I still cant answer that one, but I look at that as a contribution tho as I find it difficult, no need to clarify it, its just something that I cant work out, I never try to work out what % Im feeling I just go with whatever it is that day.....

Winb143    5,459

Say I am a 5 most days well 5x7 =35..... doesn't it...?? so average means test is a 5 per day or half of 35 ? .. no or yes..lol

We could not organise a booze up in a brewery lol....that is me being polite .....

Good luck to us All....got hysterics over poll...lol

Love

WinB143 xx xx

Macca    9,634

Hi,

I can't believe how busy it is on the site since I last posted a few days ago. Only just seen this - I've been sleeping again and I'm dog tired, as per usual. I'd say a good day for me is 6, low is 3, although I try to stay positive.

I think we're all trying to think too hard about this and getting ourselves in a bit of a pickle. I usually find it is better to go with your first gut instinct with things like this.

David, it is a great idea, it has got people thinking about themselves and the context in relation to others and provoked healthy (well sort of healthy) discussion- well done for thinking this one up!!

Macca

Carl    12

Funny if I took the pole today I would not give the same results as I did last week.

I am in a bit of a funky fog this week.

It amazes me that we can go for months feeling like we are progressing and then have a couple of days that set us back.

But I woke up early this morning and that gives an opportunity for me to have a good day with friends.

Here is to those days where we get closer to the 10s :)

MaryB    26

Even with my sore throat, cat bite and fibro I am thinking I am a 6 now but I said 5 when I did the poll. I jsut asked my husband what I am and he said 6, 2 weeks before he said I was an 8 but I was not an 8!!! LOL It was interesting to ask someone opinion.

We need to start a support poll. Like do you feel/ get support from spouse, children or close family, friends, co workers.

Winb143    5,459

I think the SAH has taken its toll on our decision making lol..so funny well not really but it has made me laugh so much.

If I said want a bar of choc you would say yes or no thanks....We go indepth and have to think about it lol so funny

Be Well All and David lol xx was it Davids poll..lol

Love to all

WinB143 xx xx xx

• Like 1

amexdm    10

Hello,

Hey Loopy Win, I think you were silly long before this poll. But thank you for coming in on it :). I do know that I go to the Pain Clinic once a month and they ask me to rate my Pain on a scale of 1 to 10. I think that is their way of saying dont give me alot of gibberish pal and just give me the dang number!

So I quietly say 7 and move on to the next question. But health and pain are not always the same. But my goal for health is an 8 or 80%. When I get there I'll be posting every 2 minutes. Win says yes but no bad singing :(. Right now at 62% I have a long way to go.

And Win, the answer is "No chocolate for me thanks, skinny Winnie is on a diet!"

Love and be well all,

David

Winb143    5,459

Well David how many straight answers did you get...lol....Well taps fingers ....I answered it without a word just a number lol

Cannot help it David but it did make me laugh...not being horrid to you honestly .....as if I would xx

Dark choc? lol

Take Care

Ya Pal Sinalonga Win xx xx

Bman250    53

I voted a 6 which is being conservative. If I could get rid of the lack of stamina and tiredness my waking moments are closer to an 8.

My severe headaches for the most part are gone and my physical therapy has got my moving parts to about 70% so I am elated and just grateful for the gift of life.

Thank you all,

Bill C

• Like 3

kukashika    14

15 years since my haemorrhage I would say that I am a 9. I would be a 10 if only I could remember my life before my subarachnoid.  Every year I improve physically so the lack of memory becomes less significant.

I was told that after 2 years  there would be no further improvement - not true. I have improved year on year and now am  probably 95% of what I was pre haemorrhage.

So please dont give up  -- the experts dont always have it right. They havent been where we have been. Believe.

• Like 3

Winb143    5,459

Hi Kukashika,

Thanks for your post it gives us all hope, I had SAH in 2009 and was told I would never walk.

Trying to get someone to walk with real bad hydrocephalus is nigh on impossible let alone communicate.

All I did was hit a balloon as they got fed up with my out of it state !! I used to cry and swear at them, was a bad patient!!

Felt like they picked on me so my Daughter told me, thank goodness for family xx I remember nothing until shunt in.

Had a shunt put in and woke up Sept 2010 and in December I was typing on here.

Well put Kukashika  xxxx

Winb143  hope to see you in green room 1 day xxxxxxx

• Like 3

kpaggett    213

Am I the only one who voted 1 out of ten?????  It's been over 5 years, though for me.

I am in really good shape physically.  Emotionally I feel I have become  adept in dealing with the new volatile emotional me.  I'm confident in my ability to deal with the tears and anxiety now.  This doesn't mean I LIKE them, but I deal with them effectively.  I don't need a specialized doctor, just my regular GP once/year for a check-up.

~Kris

• Like 1

Macca    9,634

I voted three Kris - so I was pretty close at my worst.  I'm probably an eight now!  Still have my moments but overall, life is ok now and some of the bad aren't down to SAH.

Best wishes Kris

Macca