DVLA/Driving advice needed .

Nic

HOLY MOLY!!!! You poor people across the pond!!!! In the US I was told I could not drive for 3 months by my surgeon. That was it. End of Story! At about 3 1/2 - 4 months I started to drive a bit around the block. It has been 1 1/2 years and I do highway or expressway driving but have not done major city (Chicago- I can do Indianapolis but it is a small city).

I even had to get my license plates renewed 3 months after all that brain stuff happened and they asked me if I wanted to renew my drivers license while there- plus I had a note from GP for handicap plates and I had a cast on my foot!

Well I saw the GP today, he got up the guidance document ( same as that Daff posted) and said yes he was happy for me to drive immediately, since no aneurism had been found. Had a trip out to do some shopping today and will drive to work tomorrow.

Oh and I don't mind a bit if extra regulation this side of the pond, it does mean some people are kept off the road who should be off the road. Works in other areas too I think, we have way less incidents of people being shot, since we have rules about who can have a gun and who can't!

LOL, I was going to add that to my statement but I have tried very hard to control how much news I watch so I am not outraged all the time. No way would the gun slingers ever give up their guns ( hey and no one is asking- just want to regaulte it a bit!!) Cannot even imagine the mayhem if goverment held their drivers license- too close to socialized medicine you know! I think you should get a written prescription from your doctor for a gun as it but I am asking to be blasted now!!!!!!

If they took our license they would have to pay for us to be off work -it is so much easier and better to send us back in the middle of recovery so we can struggle than to allow us time to heal. How coudl we ever pay for our health insurance??? Although if you have a seizure it is gone for a year.

Mary, cross pond politics will never end well!! I've had many late night beer laden discussions about what and how the government and rules here are that often impede what would be a US citizens core civil liberty, and similar disbelief that you can buy a gun at the same time as your twinkies.:lol:

I think our driving decision and guidelines are sound in principle, when applied properly and when you can get into the detail, BUT the process and beuracracy to manage it is abysmal.

I got my letter today from the DVLA. I have to wait up to another 12 weeks:confused: no reason other than it can take them that long to process it.

I dont mind waiting for the NHS doc who saved my life to take his time to fill in a form.

I don't mind and totally agree with the logic that says I shouldnt drive after they cut my brain open.( twice)

I dont even mind that I havent driven now for 13 months

but I DO mind that it is going to take a beauracrat 3 months to process a recommendation on what happens next...that's just bleep bleeping stupid.:shock:

Can you keep a secret? I phoned the DVLA and they told me theyve issued my license back to me today:lol:

I've phoned and put my insurance cover back in place so I'm going to surprise the hubby tonight...actually maybe that's a bad idea, we are not all that keen on surprises any more.

So it's 13 months and 11 days since I last drove. I will take it very slowly and very safely indeed. Promise.

Wahoooooooooo:lol::lol::lol:

Can you see me doing a happy dance for you???

Such great news Daff, so chuffed. I remember how I felt so I know how excited you are. I had 2 refresher lessons before I went out on my own, more to do with having only single vision really. It was just a professional eye to tell me I was safe to drive!!

Where's the first drive going to be to???

Fantastic news Daff :biggrin:

I know the feeling of having your freedom given back to you so, so well. Mine was 8 months ago after a 16 month episode. I cried buckets with relief, then cried again at the thought of getting behind the wheel - I was so scared!! My first trip was to the beach (where else? I had missed it more than I can say). I was shaking with nerves, sure I couldn't do it any more. My confidence was shattered by being forced off the road in the first place....

Sensible choice to go for a short trip first. You will quickly build up from that once you see that you can still do it. Sometimes I even overtake tractors now if there's a long, clear road ahead :lol:

Enjoy the drive this evening!

Michelle xx

• Daffodil pinned and unpinned this topic