TIA's

amexdm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all:

Thanks to everyone for their concern and support. You must think I'm a real idiot. Well not dumb but determined maybe. I am at home resting. I did learn many things. High BP is a killer. Thanks Paul. I went three weeks with 175/120 and you just can't play with fire. I had BP meds but not strong enough.

The nurses at the hospital said TIA's are nothing to play with. They said NEVER discount a TIA as minor. Now my Dad had like 4-5 so forgive my non-hysteria. My fault.

They did tests. No brain damage. Or no more I should say. Say strokes have enlarged my heart. Greeeat. The neurologist would not make any commitment to reducing work hours but GP might.

Thanks to all who pushed me. Mary for updates. Paul, SL, Sandi, Brian, Wem, Daff, Louise, Ryan, Kris, Sarah, Karen, Gill, Lin, all for caring and best wishes. Sorry to anyone I missed. Win is mad at me :). Old so and so.

Cant say what the future holds. I did tell everyone that I was killing myself at work. BTG listened. Doctors, work, family, friends did not. Glad I am ok I guess. Lesson learned.

Love to all,

David

David,

Glad to hear that you're out of the hospital. BP is indeed a silent killer. When NASAH happened to me my BP was200/140. When it happened 2 years ago I was active, played sports every weekend and all, thinking because I was active my BP/health was fine- but my family on both sides, suffers from hypertension. So basically I was destined to have it. I am now taking 4 BP meds and it's awful lots, 115mg total but I have to take 'em. I also purchased 2 BP machines, 1 @ home and another I keep in my office @ work. I used to take it religiously because of fear of it happening again. I don't take it as much as I used to now but at least a week or 2 i'd take my bp and log/record it and as a precaution and for my own sanity...

Just wishing you well David. Take care of yourself.

to those looking in "HELLO :)"

Ryan

Good to see you back here, alive & kicking David :-D

It would take a brave man to ignore Miss Mary's advice when she's on your case & has your phone number!!! :wink:

Do you need to have any treatment for your heart or is it something that will settle in time?

Hope you are indeed resting? Feel better soon.

Michelle xx

David glad to see you back & well enough to be on here.

Hubby has bought a bp machine & has also been told if his bp goes up he must go & see the Dr no question. I think its a valuable lesson to us all too.

Take care & REST!!

xx

Hi David,

Glad you are better, phew !! little so and so. Growls at David.

Rassa rassa tash or words like that.

Glad you are on mend and say after me "I will be calmer and not stress myself out as life is so good" (Win taps foot waiting for David to repeat it).

Seriously David I need you to be well as you are the only one who understands my mentality xx (No not mental !!)

Look after yourself and Love to you and family xx

Keep taking the pills.

Win xx

"BTG listened. 'Others' did not." Ain't that the truth. Just remember, nobody understands like your BTG friends. Don't hold it against those that do not understand. They still love you Dave, they just do not, and cannot understand. You know when you have to get in and get checked out. You have a lot of people that care for you Dave, that is certain.

David,

Great to see you back on here again. Think yours was a lesson we can all learn from, the medics show so little interest and insight into the various sensations we experience, we can become a little complacent about it all.

Take some much needed rest.

Take care,

Wem

David,

What strikes me is that you KNOW that you are over doing things. What is holding you back from actually listening to yourself? Work seems to eat you up sometimes as well as life. Why do you need a note from a man in a white coat? It is ultimately your life. You choose how to live it. I so much want the best for you, you have no idea...a person who I actually met with my exact condition! I want to see you thrive in your new skin so I can have hope of thriving in mine.

Take care and I'm glad you had things checked out.

~Kris

Hello all:

Thanks to all for thier responses and support. I had 4 good days of rest and am back at work. Feeling somewhat better. Work has agreed to reduce my hours to 35 a week. Anything is progresss. What some may not know is that I was working 10 hours a day for 3 weeks and this knocked the socks off me! We have that fixed. My BP was running high. I have new meds. And there were things going on at home. TThats been fixed. So it was 3 strikes and i was out. That is alot of stress for one person to handle.

This is my last go of the work thing. They have worked with me for two years with some mixed results. Its sink or swim. But my wife has health issues and I need to if possible to have insurance for her. In fact she likely will need some surgery in a couple weeeks.

So no all is not grand and easy in my life. I am a fighter and will get through. I know now not to play with high BP and hopefully that helps. I went to my GP yesterday and he thinks my problems are anxiety. Raaaaaaaaaaaahr. Anxious about losing my job, home, and insurance? Yep. But thats not my medical problem. I may have to look for a new GP. He is nice enough but just doesnt get SAH.

Taking steps to get better. Thanks to all here at BTG for being there for me always.

David

Hey David,

Sending you the biggest cyber hugs ever.

Please look after yourself as much as your circumstances allow - and take notice of any twinges - it's your body trying to communicate with you.

Heart really going out to you mate,

L xxxxx

Hi Davey Boy,

99 Days until Obama Care will in place for pre existing illnesses. I am sure our friends over the pond have no idea how insurance is a nightmare here. I know you for one are not very hopeful for this new insurance protocol but I for one am.

I checked private insurance a few weeks ago and the rates were what I am paying) close to $10,000 a year with $5,000 each deductable) but they were quotes with no illnesses......AUGHHHHHHH. When they ask if anyone in the family has been in the hospital during the past 10 years, you may as well hang up...Dave’s Kidney cancer and heart surgery and that is not even me talking about having a brain tumor, SAH etc...

This insurance system keeps us poor and in a place of hopelessness when you are ill. It is so tough, there is no in between it is either full time or no insurance. I think it is a moral issue. I did not really get the pressure my husband who had the coverage until 3 years ago felt like. I have pressure to keep it and I just do not think anyone can understand that unless you live here and have been ill. Not even than if they never have lost coverage due to a buyout of company or someething and them not offering it. Once you try to get a policy and are turned down that is hopeless and wrong on so many levels.

Keep that BP in place. I should smack you for letting it be so high and not getting that taken care of...........although on my last miserable visit with my fired Neurologist I said the channel blocker at the higher dose stopped my headaches almost completely and also controlled my BP that has been all over the place for a little over 2 years. He said he was only interested in the headaches as that are what "he" was treating. REALLY?? Mary bangs her head on table here.

Ok buddy boy! Sorry my Chicago Blackhawks are the Stanley Cup Champs!!!! OMG did you watch the Cup finals???

Gotta run now ( head killing me - clogged pipes today and I have worked too hard unclogging them). Take care. Marybewatchingyou.

PS what is your BP now?

• 3 weeks later...

Well:

Thanks for asking Mary and everybody. The BP is down to 140/90 at worst and normal at best. I am taking Propanol which I don't mind but the 60mg was too strong. Made my heart flutter and very slow. My fat butt gained 8 lbs. So down to 20mg. I have 1/2 days on Wednesday but otherwise working full time.

Mary you should slap me for going on with high BP but mine was 170/120 and my wife said "thats nothing hers was 210/120" so it's no big deal. My mom has passed away. Last time I listen to my wife. She also told me that SAH is nothing becasue her Uncle had a kidney transplant. Huh? That is her sick way of measuring things. Shes not very motherly.

I have til July 31st to get well. 3 weeks. Then back to full time and 2 year anni on July 30th. Then my expiration date is up. Wife says I must be better by then. Maybe time to lookem for new wife :(.

But it is huge lesson learned on BP for me. Dont fool with it. I have had a grandpa, two aunts and mother ruined by stroke. I dont want to end up like them.

The other lesson learned is don't be like me. Big dummy David.

And another lesson to Michele- yes I am scared of Mary and she has my phone number!

Thanks to all who gently pushed me to go to hospital and to Mary who not so gently told me GET THE HECK TO THE HOSPITAL. NOW!!!

Edited by Skippy

Ah... David.. David ... David Bud,

I read this and wanted to launch my iPhone!!

Sorry.. Here is my honesty, which I have always given to you...

What right does someone else have to give to a time limitation on when you should be better/ totally healed, whatever words they want to call it.

You have had a brain injury. It will always be with you and other people need to accept that. Have you actually accepted that yourself yet David??

2 years really is still early days. As you know someone I went to school with is a Professor of NeuroScience and she has said the brain will continue to heal years and years down the line.

David this is a long, slow tough journey of recovery but you will make it. With the right support around you.

It's great that you're BP is now getting under control. As you say, you had other family members with stroke, so this should be monitored more closely.

Take a big deep breath mate, we are all here for you.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Glad that BP is under control.Glad you are slowed down a little but try if you can to be kinder to yourself David. Sharing a great link to a blog from a doctor who talks about the importance of engaging in work you love and not just sucking it up and how to relax if you can't change things...it's not too fluffy:-D. http://lissarankin.com/why-engaging-in-work-you-love-could-save-your-life#more-1742

Daffers,

Do you think David will change his job?

It made sense, but we have debts etc to pay and that keeps us going.

David is in Catch 22 as he needs the ackers to pay for life.

I have noticed a lot on BTG would like to do volunteer work, I have even thought about it also but that's all. Thought !

Hope he has help Daffers xx

I think those that do it are brave and I applaud those who help others. clap clap

Cheer up David, all will be well, trust me I am a mind reader (not) xx

Now go out there and face the world with a smile xx like this :~) my smile xx

Be Well David and Family

Win xx xx

Daffers,

Do you think David will change his job?

It made sense, but we have debts etc to pay and that keeps us going.

Win, you're absolutely right. I didn't mean to come across as patronising and suggest ' oh well you should change jobs.' and think its that easy . (David , i hope u know that as you and I have talked about your work situation... )I guess I just liked the advice on that blog about what practically you can do to relax when you can't change things in your job.

Volunteering is amazing and rewarding but I am aiming to get back to work full time eventually, we need my salary to unless we want to drastically change things but I am incredibly lucky to have a company that gets that you can't just get back to what you used to do productivity wise overnight and are being patient with me....for now anyway. I just wish that understanding for David so he doesnt have to push so hard but know its probably as likely as a pig flying:lol: