Exercise following haemorrhage?

Hi all

I suffered a haemorrhage in my left occipital lobe just over 6 weeks ago; no cause has yet been found and I didn't have any surgery. I'm still suffering with fatigue, difficulty concentrating and headaches, but I'm keen to start some gentle exercise as soon as I can (my neurologist has okayed this). I used to be quite fit and now feel like I've lost so much muscle (I used to have very strong core muscles and now feel like I have none!) and am rapidly gaining weight as I'm constanty hungry!

Can anyone recommend any gentle exercises other than walking (I'd rather not jog as think that will make my head worse)? I've been told not to swim on my own due to the potential of having a seizure (not that I've had any). I have sat on my horse twice since my bleed, but doing it more regularly isn't yet possible. Due to issues with my vision (I've been left with right inferior quadrantanopia)

I don't feel safe cycling as I wouldn't see cars overtaking me!

I'm thinking about trying some gentle pilates at home, but does anyone have any suggestions of gentle exercises I can try at home? I just want to try and so some gentle exercise to give me something to do without pushing myself too hard.

Thanks

Hi Chloe. The best exercise I found in my recovery is walking. You set your own pace, you get fresh air and it will build stamina, just take your phone with you and I always take a walking stick as well, maybe you know someone whose dog you could borrow!

Like you I was pretty fit prior to SAH but found all my fitness wasted very fast after my ops and length hospital stay and then sitting around. I found just doing gentle stretches sat in a chair to help the core muscles was good there's some good Pilates ones on the net. Just Nothing with much lying down or bending head! I also went back to swimming but always with a friend in the early days.

The main thing is do what feels comfortable for you right now but very small bursts a little at a time and rest afterwards. you will get back to horse riding and more soon enough I hope it but a steady pace is best. There are some far more fitter people on here, some have gone back to serious running etc but patience will pay off for you. The dim sung approach to fitness. Little mouthfuls.:lol:

Hi Chloe,

I used to walk / hike a lot before SAH and to be honest the only type of exercise I've really been able to get back to is walking.

I built up from little walks around the garden in very early days, to walks around local parks.

Now I walk at least 3 miles every day.

I tried to get back to swimming but have never been able to cope with the noise. This did upset me as I used to swim and do water aerobics every week.

When I went to physio she did tell me that when you have a stroke you loose your core strength.

I've had to do a lot of balance training, my balance still isn't great but it's better than it was.

I had very bad vision problems in the early months, I still have vision issues but I've learnt to cope with them better.

I still use a stick now and again.

I'm sure you will find what is the right exercise for you and at which pace is good for you, but as others have said, take things slowly, don't push too hard too quickly.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Hi Chloe,

I have always been active. High energy. I jogged and belly danced, which really kept me in shape. Since my SAH I am finally walking again. No jogging yet. No belly dancing either. Believe it or not you do move your head not just the hips. :) Pilates was a bit harder for me than I expected. Be careful. Might even want to try yoga. I never thought I'd like yoga (I tried it in the past) but its soothing.

You are young and you have a brain injury so be kind to yourself. I understand you want to get back to life, and you will, it's just going to take time. In the big scheme if things this is a stumbling block in the road of life. A big one but you will get through.

Small steps lead to big steps and then leaps!

Iola

Thanks everyone for the tips. Will try and get going with more walking but the UK weather isn't currently inspiring me to go outside!

Part of the reason for my impatientness is that I'm getting married in Sept this year and I'm anxious to slim down a bit (I'd always planned to start the wedding diet in December to give me plenty of time to lose a small amount of weight. Now I'm going to have even less time and more weight to lose! Snot going to start dieting any time soon as I need the energy from food, but would at least start trying to gain some of my core strength and muscle back soon (without weight lifting!).

Going to try some gentle Pilates exercises that don't necessitate lying down and do lots of walking (weather permitting). Don't fancy yoga as have tried that before and found it aggregated an old back issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a hard core runner before my SAH and went back to it within a few months using a walker at first and then Nordic poles. I did not have any surgery either, just angiograms, so was told I could resume about 8 weeks after my SAH. I did a run/walk with friends or with my dogs so I had someone with me at all times. I found yoga and pilates hurt my head because of being upside down, plus I just don't like either one.

I used to do lots of exercise and was asking at my follow up last week what I can do.

I was advised anything was ok as long as I listen to when my body is tired and start each thing gently building it up.

Managed my first walk today 1/2 an hour. Was shattered but it felt fab.

I am sure you will look fab for your wedding!

Emma xxx

As a regular participant in fitness activities, I was given the ok to do anything except lift heavy weights for the first year. Mind you, my eyesight recovered within seven weeks and I didn't suffer visual field loss like you.

Sue

Edited - we cannot recommend fitness regimes

Hoofy xx

Congratulations on the wedding.

I was always told gentle exercise.

Before you go to bed lay on it, maybe try gentle sit ups as mattress will help you spring back up (hopefully)

Then a choc, no no put that choc down! after September !!

Walk around the house and go the long way to toilet.

You could try a hula hoop if your balance is ok, as it helps waist (not seen mine for years)!

You will look lovely for your Day. xx

WinB143 xx xx

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rarely fit to any degree, and after my SAH was soo weak I'm amazed how much I've recovered just by the gentlest of approaches, as everyone has described. I have disc problems, and found walking very purposefully- bum tight belly in really helped with getting some core stability back.

I also made up my own little program of back friendly yoga moves, general stretches, and did this most days when I was banned from doing just about everything else for 3 months post op.

I'm certainly not fit, but feel better than I did pre stroke because I'm at least doing something regularly which won't harm me the way more energetic stuff can throw out my back. Pilates can be hard work, but choose your moves and you might find it works for you. Good luck!

Thanks Laura - that's great you've developed your own little exercise routine :)

I've done a tiny bit of pilates at home and on Monday I ventured to the gym for the first time! I only did a bit of gentle walking (and 2.5min jog!) on the treadmill and 15mins of gentlye cycling on the exercise bike and that was enough to knacker me! Going to try and go to gym once a week (it's difficult for me to get there as I can't drive), and try to do some pilates at home. I was going for regular walks but this British weather has now put me off!

• 2 weeks later...

Hows about Tai Chi (check the spelling), that's about stretching and control but is relatively slow. Also yoga but perhaps don't do the upside down bits - go swimming when someone can go with you. Cycle a bit on an exercise bike.

In short do a little bit of each that you personally can deal with, but you have to try things to find out what you can and can't do. Then you can work out a couple of routines and build up as you go. Low weights with more reps rather than than heavy weights that cause strain. Haven't got any? Use a tin of veg or soup in each hand or just use the natural weight of your own body. Above all take your time, there's no rush and get the advice of your doctor before you take it up. Do things that don't have any jarring impacts or contacts and definitely don't do it if you don't feel up to it because you'll suffer afterwards - been there and it ain't nice!

And if you can walk to the shop instead of going in a car do it as long as it isn't too far for you! walking isn't too bad if you have a purpose for doing it!

Good luck

Macca

Hi Macca

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've never done Tai Chi, but will certainly have a google! I don't like Yoga - I've previously had issues with my back and found it aggrecated it, but I've been doing some Pilates these last couple of weeks.

I've also been to the gym twice and been using the treadmill and exercise bike. Sadly I am not allowed to drive due to vision loss and I'm therefore very restricted on when and how often I can currently get to the gym

(buses are infrequent here and currently not running at all due to the floods around my village!).

As I'm not even at the three month mark yet I'm still not allowed to lift any weights. Even when my neurologist does give me the go ahead I currently have an injured wrist (as a result of a Kettlebell weight last year!) which is currently heavily splinted up (last week I had a steroid injection in it), so I also need to wait for my physio and consultant to give me the go ahead!

I have been trying to go for regular walks (British weather permitting!) so have been slowly increasing my stamina. Unfortunately my brain seems to keep putting the handbrake on so I think I just have to accept to be patient with my fitness and still take it relatively easy.

Whatever you decide on just take it easy - as you've already discovered your body and brain will tell you when you've had enough - listen to them. It will get better over time - albeit a longish time. You'll get better at your own rate - there is no right or wrong in this. Patience is a virtue.

Enjoy the ride and take in the scenery for once - all that rushing around didn't do you or any of us any good. Keep us posted on your progress. Keep a diary - you will be amazed over the weeks and months when you look back at it what progress you've made!

Good luck

Macca

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi and thank you for all your advice on returning to exercise. Can anyone tell me if they have been told by doctors never to lift weights again. Is there any info out there about weight lifting after SAH? Thanks

I've been weight training for past 2 months, building up my strength as was very weak post surgery.

Dont overdo the weights and don't strain, I do lots of walking now, sometimes with heavy shopping as still awaiting for my driving license.

listen to your body, if your struggling to move the weight go down to a lower amount, it's still exercising.Good tip when moving the weights regardless of muscle group suck your tummy in and this will tone your abs.

Good luck 

• 6 months later...

What does anyone think about the gym? I walk a lot  but I don't feel very strong. I've joined a local private gym for six months and there's a pool too. I'm a bit worried about neck pain as I get this a lot, but I want to be stronger and more toned, am I expecting too much? I'm two years on from sah now ... thanks ?

Hi Saraheliza

I have exercised regularly since my SAH 2.5 years ago. I was running when I had the bleed and was keen to get back to it afterwards. I joined a gym approx 3 months into my recovery and just started with gentle exercise and swimming. My neck was sore so I swam on my back, I felt it really helped with the water acting as a support.

I also did the classses for 'the mature ladies', a bit gentler than the classes I have now progressed onto but great at the time. I was told not to lift weights so have never done that.

I joined a C25K class at the 4 months out and used that as a tool to start running again. I now run 2 - 3 times a week for 5-6 miles and I love it. I find running is a stress buster for me, I can be brain dead from working but a run revitalises me - no idea why!

So join the gym, just don't go too mad and check about lifting weights. Good luck, keep us posted.

Clare xx

Thank you Clare, I've never been told not to lift weights. It just seems whatever I do that's slightly more strenuous than walking I overdo it like pull a muscle or ache like hell. There's a lovely coach and I'm going to ask her to give me some gentle stuff to start. I want to be a bit stronger! I will swim then maybe build on strength in the gym slowly. It's funny how different things suit us! If I went running I'm sure it would make my head whirl ? Besides my bust is too big for that!! I will let you know how it goes ?X

Hi Saraheliza,

Similar to Clare, I was a runner and was running when I had my NASAH.  I took 3 months off and then started back walking and jogging.  I am now running about the same as I was before.  However, everyone is different.  As mentioned above, whatever you do, please LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and do not overdo it.

I wish you the best.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I like you, wish to keep a little fitter. I have found a group under the NHS  called staying steady. It runs for 24 weeks and then 4 weeks extra.

Suffice to say once it's over it's over. Suffice to say I found that disappointing so we have started a group with a Council approved Instructor..

When I say we, that is our Residents Association. It's well attended and It's me in the armchair format. Very gentle exercise followed by coffee and tea...

You may find something similar in your area try the NHS or L.A. sites for more information...

• 9 months later...

I’m glad I found this thread. I was a runner and went to the gym multiple a week before my NASAH. My neuro said I should be able to get back to all of my previous activities including, running, weights, and spinning. However, he discouraged yoga. 

I have been feeling a bit down about my lack of activity feeling like I won’t get there again, but reading this thread gives me hope that I will be running again .... eventually. Runnng has always been like therapy for me and a great way to clear my brain. :) For now, I am enjoying brisk walks in the park.

Jojo you can get back to it ?

As as I said earlier in the thread I too run and am now running more than ever. I just completed the Great South Run - 10 miles - for the 2nd time after my bleed.

Get back out there and build yourself up slowly. You will be amazed at the stress busting qualities of a run. 

Good luck. 

Clare xx

Archived