Quadrantanopia

Kerryb

Haha. Thanks ClareM I will let you know. Xx

Anne - I am interested in your comment ‘ specsavers were great in advising how to take the test and produce a better result ‘

I too took the Esterman visual field test at Specsavers. I wasn’t able to produce ‘better’ results. 

Thanks

Kelly. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kelly,

I was told that I needed to prove I had 120 degree span. He said to do this do not focus on the orange light, focus on a point to the left and below the orange light. He said this was acceptable . My loss is lower left so that is why I was advised to focus left and below the orange light.  I paid for the test, to go private it is only £20 and you get 3 attempts.

I sent the results to DVLA last week, don't know how long it will take them to review my case but when they got the original test they were mega fast with the big 'NO' decision. 

I am on a mission now after watching the '90+ year old driver' program.

Fingers crossed.

Anne

Hi Kelly,

Here is a bit of back ground to my case.

I had the ‘stroke’ under general anaesthetic when I was 39 (gall bladder removal). I was very healthy. When I woke I was completely blind. After an hour or two it cleared to leave me with quadrantanopia. Needless to say I had to surrender my license immediately and have never driven for 18 years. I was a single parent at the time and life was very difficult.

I am now 58 and have started playing table tennis, quite well actually, so it got me thinking that if I can do this surely I can drive, so I reapplied  - Which I did in early August. They sent me for and eye test (I have 20/20 vision) and a fields test at specsavers, this was on the Monday and on the Wednesday I got the letter rejecting my application. Very quick!

So……..I thought I would go down the exceptional case route and arrange the test I have referred to in my previous post. (where I have no missed points within the central area). This will be the extra medical evidence they say they need.

I am hopeful they will reply soon but sounds like I might have a long wait.

Reading the previous posts I am quite positive but also annoyed that I haven’t done anything sooner. For years I have researched this condition, the following link being a point of reference:-

http://www.moorfieldsresearch.org.uk/orntemp/Quality/RGov/Guidelines/drive.htm

They say:-

‘Where the driver has obvious field defects such as a homonymous hemianopia or quadrantanopia then no confusion arises and the licence is refused’.

This statement is incorrect!

Also with modern technology and driverless cars surely there are adaptations that could be made to make driving possible.

Good luck to everybody

Anne

My goodness Anne. I have just had my gallbladder removed. 

I was 34 when I had a stroke. That was two years ago. I had an Heminanopia that improved to a quadrantanopia after a few days. 

It’s now static. 

Let’s all keep our fingers crossed. 

Hangin' out to know how you got on Kels. I am pretty sure your answer will be that the opthalmologist is content that there has been no change and will issue her findings to the DVLA as part of the process of getting your licence back. I am still waiting to hear back from DVLA.

Fingers are crossed for you! Maybe next year you can come on our Euro driving trip! Let's think positive. ;-))

Hi,

I am in shock.

Just phoned the DVLA and they say they are happy for me to reapply, the forms are in the post. I will have fill in another D1 and go for another test at Specsavers.

I should get the forms tomorrows but I go on holiday in the morning - how cruel.

Will keep you posted.

Anne

Hey Johnnie

So, Seen the eye Dr. She thoroughly checked my eyes and asked for my take on things and how I manage with the deficit etc. She read through all the notes the dvla sent her. They sent me to have more visual fields done and then I got called back in to see her. 

I have her full support and she believes I should be able to drive and she will detail this in her letter. However on the graph from the field test I am still missing two points in the centre of right visual field which she said could be where they write me off as I am missing two to many in the dvla rules. She wished me luck and said she hopes I get it back but it’s not her decision. 

It it seems that the quadrantanopia deficits are all different and this is probably where some get their licence back and some don’t. It makes me wonder why they then ask for proof you have adapted. If the deficit is too much though proof of adapting wouldn’t help I don’t think. 

You know what your last field test said. Pay careful attention to that centre line on the graph. Are there any points on there you have missed? 

Keeping my fingers crossed for us both. If by some huge stroke of luck they give me my licence count me in for your next Euro driving trip :-)

Trying to be positive 

Kels.  

Hi Johnnie. 

I have always been advised that it is impossible to get your license back if you have this condition, --by ophthalmic consultants and various websites. I am very annoyed that this is not the case. I drove all over the country and loved it. Luckily my job was local and I had lots of support. However I have missed out on lots of things over the years. 

If I get my license back I will be over joyed and will not ' look back in anger'. I think also it is best to have time to come to terms with the visual loss - but 18 years is rather excessive. 

I have been told I won't have to resit my test , I hope that is true but I still have to produce another good fields test before I get there. I am trying not to get too excited. 

Anne

Hi Anne

Do you think your visual field has considerably improved in the 18 years you have been off the road?

I have read stories of people with Quadrantanopias getting their licence back in fact people on this thread have advised this so it is not impossible but from my appointment this week I can see how crucial the missing points and their location on the graph count. 

Goodluck however. I think the rules on driving have changed somewhat over the years. There are driving assessment places in Oxford and other areas that the dvla do send people to, to experience getting back behind a wheel while someone monitors how you cope and reports back. 

All the best. 

Kelly. 

Hi Kelly. 

Unfortunately things haven't improved. I have a copy of a fields test taken 2 weeks after my stroke and it is the same as now. 

How about getting a private fields test at spec savers -place your head at at an angle that will give you optimum fields and focus above and to the right of the light. (I presume it is your right upper quadrant that is missing). You will get 3 attempts. 

Never give up. 

New technolgy is amazing, if driverless cars are to be introduced who knows what the future holds. 

Thinking of you. 

Anne

Hi Anne

I am 10 months into the process of re-applying for my licence under the exceptional cases criteria following a stroke I had two years ago. Maybe the following may help you. 

The only field tests the DVLA will accept are the Esterman field tests that they will specifically send you for. You are not able to get private field tests. There is no test that you have three attempts at. 

You have to place your chin on the middle of the chin rest and take the test with both eyes open. At no time can your eyes diviate from the orange light you are requested to focus on while small lights are lit for you to pick up in your peripheral vision. 

You must not tilt your head to try and improve your test as this will void the test as will any false positives ( clicking in the hope you catch a light ). 

Cars for me were a pleasure and a privalidge to drive. Not sure on the whole driverless car. The handling of a car is what makes the experience. 

Regards

Kelly

I have to agree with you Kelly. I tried to get a private Esterman test at my local Specsavers. I managed to make the appointment but then the manager phoned me back to say that it is not possible to have the test if it is to be issued to the DVLA as it MUST be requested by the DVLA.  I can't see how one could tilt your head to skew results (notwithstanding the fact that to get your licence back under false pretences could be utterly dangerous to others and oneself) as your chin is positioned on a shelf type thing. Also the optician is in the room with you so could see those movements and void the test.

Anne Mc, get the test done properly and see what happens. Driving a car is a dangerous thing at the best of times (I live in London!) and if you have a test result that enables you to be considered under the 'exceptional circumstances' rules (see the many posts above and you'll find what those rules are) then reapply for your licence by answering all the questions and providing all the necessary reports. With any luck and a following wind, you will have your licence back. It will take some time though as DVLA are painfully slow to respond!

May I also suggest that you take a few 'reminder' lessons once you get the licence back. 18 years is a very long time to not have driven.

I wish you all the very best in your endeavours to get back on the road.

JM

We are all here hoping that we pass the test as an 'exceptional circumstance' whereby the eyesight may not be as good as your but we can show that we pass certain criteria (set by the DVLA). It does, however, seem to take forever! I reapplied for my licence on 1st August and I am yet to get any sort of response to my letter. The wait is interminable it seems! We all have our fingers crossed though as there seems to be an element of luck involved when dealing with the DVLA, which of course there shouldn't be as it is their rules which apply. It is only for us to pass the criteria and that should be that (subject to a driving assessment of course, in most cases - not for you!).

JM

I am currently 10 months into to my request to get my licence back. The dvla sent me last week to an independent Opthamologist at my local hospital for another examination. 

It really does seem it depends on what you miss on that Centre line of the graph.

As we have to go through exceptional cases it’s likely the best thing we can wish for is to be sent for an on the road assessment. But the opportunity to prove we would be safe would be very welcome. 

Regards

Kelly. 

Out of interest I am attaching the results of my own field of vision tests. The ones in November last year were taken at Specsavers and the one in April of this year were at hospital by a neuro opthalmologist. There are also snellen test results there too but I have no idea what they are about!

I simply took photos of the graphs and left off any personal information. It is very easy. I understand that you might not want to be identified (especially if you are Lewis Hamilton or Jensen Button! ;)

IMG_9580.JPG

IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9582.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

Admin note to members:

In order for this thread to continue and due to a member completely deleting text from their posts on this subject, I've had to heavily edit/delete replies in order to make sense of the conversation for new members. I've salvaged what I can, rather than closing the thread. 

• 1 month later...

Just to get this going again after the slight blip! I am now on the way to getting back on the road, as in I have reapplied for my licence under the 'exceptional circumstances' rules. I have been to specsavers and the results have been issued to the DVLA (not much change from those taken a year ago). DVLA have now asked me to obtain clinical confirmation of my adaptation to the loss of vision and have asked me to make an appointment with one of their chosen Neuro Opthalmologists at my local teaching hospital. It does not mean that I will get my licence back but at least positive progress is being made towards it. 

I wonder if Kelly has any news to brighten everyone's day and make us believe anything is possible?

Good luck everyone!!

• 2 months later...

Appointment with the neuro opthalmologist on 29th Jan. Being an NHS consultant it has taken over two months to get an appointment but at least things are moving forward. Once her report has been issued to the DVLA they actually have to make a decision on whether they want me to be assessed by a driving assessor and occupational therapist, to see if I am safe to drive, or that I can't have my licence back. Obviously hoping for the former! 

Anyone else here with news on whether they have regained their licence? Kelly perhaps??

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had the eye tests with the Neuro Opthalmologist, whom I had already seen last April. She was happy with my eyes and saw that there had been a modicum of improvement in my right peripheral vision. All in all she was happy to support my licence being returned. Am now just waiting to hear from DVLA when she has issued her report. The steps are small but significant and I am sure I'll get there eventually! Anyone else have news to share?

JM

Archived