Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Kay

Kay - new member

Thankfully I found my notes so this is my original SAH part 2

The CT scan I had at Basildon apparently showed that I had blood on the brain. I wake up the next day in Queens Hospital, I’m not at all surprised by this, and my immediate recollection is of cutting my finger open on the tin the night before. My memory of the following week is very fragmented.

At first it was assumed that I’d passed out from cutting my finger and that I’d then hit my head and that was what had caused the bleed. That my brain would then just absorb the blood and I’d be able to go home in a few days.

I didn’t eat much in the first week, everything tasted foul to me, especially this jacket potato I had (having read up on it I realise now that the bleed had temporarily affected my taste buds)

I had an angiogram on the Wednesday to check that everything was going ok.

On the Friday a doctor came in to tell me that they’d been looking at the angiogram and original CT scan and that they believe I had an aneurysm that had ruptured and that they’d like to take me in to surgery as soon as possible.

I remember feeling quite numb and calm about it all. I asked him if I could just ring my fiancé because I’m only half taking in everything he’s saying to me. He was lovely, he gave me his mobile to ring Joe and then he explained to Joe everything that was going on.

I remember before going in to surgery that someone came and marked a cross on the side of my neck near my jaw line so I was very surprised to wake up with a line of staples down my centre parting. They originally wanted to coil the aneurysm and that was what I was told they were going to do. I went into surgery on the Friday. They couldn't coil it though, at the time we were just told that the coiling failed.  I only vaguely remember coming round and being informed that the coiling hadn’t worked; I think it was something to do with the location of the rupture (it was very difficult to get to).

So I had to go back into surgery on the Saturday to have the aneurysm clipped, which was successful. (I only vaguely remember later being told that the aneurysm could only be partially clipped because of these blood vessels coming out of it). I don't know if it was the double dose of anaesthetic in such a short space of time, but I don't remember the time in between the surgeries.

I was very groggy for the next week. Apparently I repeatedly asked things over and over again (I don’t recall this at all). When I woke up I kept asking over and over again about the staples in my head, I do remember being very curious about them, I just wasn't expecting them to be there and so was utterly confused and fascinated by them. 

I found it very hard sleeping in the hospital, even as a child I’ve needed complete darkness and silence to sleep (I can’t even have a ticking clock in my bedroom) so sleeping in the hospital was a nightmare for me I had ear plugs and a sleeping mask. The sound of the drip was driving me insane, so one of the nurses figured out for me that if I drank 5 jugs of water a day then I wouldn’t have to have the IV.

I also recall that my sense of time completely went out the window; 10 minutes felt like an hour, it was so bizarre trying to keep track of time.

I had to wear sunglasses most of the time because the light hurt my eyes, I could barely open them 

The side effect of the Nimodipine was that I felt warm all the time (this just happened to coincide with a very warm March) so I was constantly asking for the window to be opened, one night the wind was blowing so strong that it brought the blinds down, and so of course everyone was joking with me for ages that it was my fault.

Now I have suffered from anxiety for a long time, I've even been on medication for it, but I was the calmest I have ever been, which I thought at the time was strange because this is probably one of the most stressful things that's ever happened to me. But I was completely calm even serene. After watching Jill Bolte Taylor’s TED talk I now understand possibly why this was the case. 

I was discharged on the 24th of March, which means I was in hospital for just under three weeks.

• Like 6

Yey, I'm now able to get up and down the stairs unaided. I had resorted to using the stair lift (Me and Joe live with his great aunt who is 87 and I'm basically her carer, she has dementia and a colostomy bag, not been particularly easy to deal with, with everything that's gone on, but I thought I should explain why there was a stair lift in the house). Anyway exceptionally proud of myself, I have defeated the stairs, took me a week but I've done it.

• Like 5

Going for my follow up CT scan tomorrow, fingers crossed the results declare everything is fine, no more stuff to deal with or sort out. 

• Like 2

Good luck for tomorrow, Kay! I am going for my follow up angiogram (also tomorrow) so I feel the same way, hoping that everything is fine. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck Tina and Kay for tomorrow hope all goes well and remember a nice cuppa afterwards !.

Cake wont go amiss if you cannot eat it bring it to me lol xxx

Good luck both 

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 2

Thank you Win and Chelle, and good luck to you too Tina. Definitely a nice cuppa afterward, actually I think a nice cuppa now wouldn't go amiss, think I'll get Joe on to it.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone, everything went pretty smoothly even though angiograms aren't my favourite. Now it is definitely time for a nice cuppa, and probably some chocolates to go with that :). A couple of weeks of waiting for results, though, but the doctor told me that everything seemed to look fine at a first glance. Hope your scan went well too, Kay!

• Like 4

Glad everything went well Tina. Mine isn't until 7:30. I think at this point I've had 7 angiograms now, it always sends my vision a bit funny ,I assume it's the result of the dye going through the veins in my eyes, I always have a pretty lights show as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I was also expecting the lights show, as I experienced that during my last angiogram, but this time I didn't react much when the dye went in. I thought it might be because the brain has had some time to heal, but I have no idea. Again, good luck with your scan tonight!

• Like 1

Scan done. We treated ourselves to a McDonald's on the way home, so we've just finished eating that, have not had a McDonald's in so long. Very tired now though.

I think I've had the lights show every time, at least the ones I can remember. 

• Like 2

Well done Tina and Kay,

Waiting is the worst lol but all will be okay. Fingers and eyes crossed lol

XXXXXXXXX

• Like 2