I am new to

Aandrea

Andrea, welcome to BTG.

What you are feeling is quite normal. Yes you will be happy again and you will feel you have control of your life.

It just takes time to come to terms with he event.

Possibly a visit to your doctor to explain how you are feeling and to request some counselling to help you along the path of acceptance.  

• Like 2

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to BTG!

You've had the wind knocked out of your sails alright and sometimes that can be a bit hard to come to terms with.  You need to rest, take stock of things and re-arrange them a little to re-gain that feeling of control.  You have much to look forwards to.

One of the most important things you can do is talk to other sufferers - ie us, or anyone who is a good listener.

Just try not to dwell on things on your own, where your imagination can blow things out of proportion.  Reality is often less daunting than perceived vision and talking is the best way to combat it.  You need interaction with others and a gradual return to health, through a steady programme  of improvement, one step at a time.

It can be a long slog, but before you know it you will be nearer the end of the road than the beginning.

You need a dash of determination, a sprinkling of planning and a pinch of love from those around you to help you make the journey but you can do it.

Keep in touch and good luck,

Macca

• Like 5

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to our group.  Please know that many on this site have struggled with recovery, both physically and mentally.  While I personally had it pretty easy compared to the rest, you will find many members who will share their struggles and their accomplishments.  I beg you to be patient.  Remember, this thing tried to take you down, but you have won.  And while you will need some time to heal, you are the winner here, because you are still here..  You will have up and down days, but overall you will trend up over time.  I pray you recover quickly.

Chris

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Aandrea said:

Thank you all of you I have so many question to ask one I have left side weaknesses and it feels really heavy is this normal and will it get better x

No one can predict any recovery. As we are not medically qualified I would suggest that those are questions you should be asking your doctors although there may be others on here who have experienced the same. Just remember that everyone is different.

Have you had any physiotherapy? If not it may be wise to explore that option if it is recommended by your doctors 

• Like 2

Andrea,

I was given doom and gloom outcome for recovery, so see Doc or Hospital and ask them for a list of excercises to do.

I saw OT's when I was in cuckooland and every time I saw them I was told I cried lol xx So I hit a balloon  ?????

They gave up on me but my family never, now there is no quick fix. but there is life after SAH.

Also I was told I'd never walk but 200 yards at present on a good day. 

So never give up and think of happy times and keep away from others problems and any worries just come here and type them down.  A problem shared etc  xx

Good luck and when possible keep your spirits high xx

Now get them ankles turning even if it is just a little  xx Good  luck and this site is a God send xxx

Regards

Win xx

• Like 2

Hi Andrea, a warm welcome to BTG. I'm sorry that you are struggling at the moment - little wonder after such an event.  

I think the shock and realisation of it hits us all at some point during those first few months following a sah. It's a natural response and one that takes a long time to adjust to.  

Whilst there is little 'follow on' support once you leave hospital, there is a host of information on here from people's personal experiences and I hope as you make your way round the site, you will come across things that you can relate to and hopefully give you some reasurrance that things will improve over time. 

I personally didn't have weakness down one side, so I can't comment.  The brain and spine foundation website has a helpline which is run by neuro nurses who would be in a better position to answer some of your questions.

Best wishes,

Sarah

• Like 2

Hi Andrea

warm welcome, glad you found us.

wise words from SM yes a visit to your GP and ask for councelling to help you I can vouch that that is a good idea...

and yes in time you will feel ok again its all quite normal (as they say) we've all been there, and we all understand that feeling....

I too was the same age as you when I had my SAH....

take care..

Hi Andrea, welcome to BTG. I rcho Sarahs words of wisdom. Recovery from a SAH is often a lonley experience as it is such an uncommon event. That is why you have done well to find us, fellow sufferers.

We all understand how you are feeling, we have all been there. You are still fairly early days, things will get better. Ypu haven't said if you are returning to work. If you are please take it slowly, don't rush back as it can hinder your recovery.

Come back and tell us more about yourself, and don't forget there is always someone here to listen.

xx

• Like 1

Andrea your definatly not alone in this 'we've all been in similar situation' at somepoint anyway...

We are all different and have been affected diffently so what works or helps for one may not for everyone 'we're all different'

But please if your feeling so down go see your GP explain how you feel to them and maybe ask about councelling speaking to a professional who has experience it this really can (and does) help.

Hey Andrea, don't lose that will as that is what has got you this far and as others have said you will feel better but it's a big shock and adjustment.

Yes it's a hard hard process and it's not fast paced recovery and in today's world we like everything fast and fixed yesterday. SAH recovery will teach a different attitude to that and to listen to your brain and body and read the signals of what you can and can't do in that moment, and that will keep changing for a long while yet.

i was 39 when I had mine; a busy working mum of two young daughters and I felt despondent when I came face to face with all these limitations and compared it to what I could do 'unthinking ' prior to SAH. Good advice is to measure progress not to how you were before but to how you were immediately post bleed. Keep a diary of your goals for each day but also to pour out your worries as writing it down really helps And pat yourself for how far you have come already.

i didn't have weakness other than from fatigue and the muscle loss from hospital stay and surgery but had major balance issues,memory and cognitive deficits  post mine and also didn't drive for well over a year  so I got in touch with Headway in my area who were able to offer me some outreach services which was amazingly helpful to teach me new coping skills but also to boost my confidence.

so will you improve?. I would place money that you will but be kind to yourself Andrea, no sprint to the finish here more of an ultra marathon!

• Like 3

Andrea,

Change has been thrust upon you abruptly.

Normally, as you age, there is a gradual change, where you slow down over time or adjust to new ways of working in a natural way.  Now your body has told you in no uncertain terms that it's had enough of that and it wants immediate change, and so you now have to plan out what you want to do and find those new ways of working and do them in a way that your body finds acceptable. 

So you are doing things now about face to the way you would normally do them.

No need to panic, it's just a different approach you need now and support from those around you to achieve them.

Part of life's rich tapestry but as my Mum used to say "there's always more than one way to skin a cat." (No offence to any cat lovers)

Macca

• Like 3