New member - Peter John

Peter John

Hello to All

I was discharged from hospital on 28/06/17 in Perth, Western Australia and have had my follow-up MRI which apparently was all clear. There seems to be no apparent reason for my SAH which was comforting to some degree but that outcome creates  that feeling of 'why' and the obvious question 'will it happen again? 

Unfortunately, partly due to my ex career (I'm now retired) I was diagnosed with PTSD and Major Depression many years ago.. I'm struggling a bit with anxiety and the 'worn out' feeling. so I'm hoping things will pick up bit by bit. I'm trying to do regular walking (treadmill) but some days can't face it. 

I try to remind myself that I've been told it may take up to a year before one gets back to 'normal', but at the moment that seems a long way off.

Can anyone comment on the 'timeline'  they experienced and any suggestions for trying to feel 'better'.

Thanks

Peter Francis

• Like 2

Hey Peter

warm welcome to the site so glad that you found us....

first thing unlike most of us on here you have the sun a lot of the time that has to help I'm way better on bright sunny days...

Great news your MRI was all clear, there is a section on the site for Non SAH think though whither or not we've had one we all wonder 'why' and will it happen again.

for me as time has passed the 'will it' has lessoned a lot..

Sorry to hear you had PTSD horrible maybe speak with your doc about how you feel, see if they can suggest coping stratigies...

why not just go out and walk forget about the treadmill for a bit...

There is no 'timeline' as I know off each one of us is different it does take time each day at a time....

• Like 3

Hello Peter...and also a warm welcome to BTG....... how did you find us?

While we do not give any medical advice...you will receive much support from reading the various Forum threads, and also as members share there comments.  As Louise mentioned.. the NASAH Forum contains the experiences of many who have been faced with a bleed and the scans show no obvious bleed site.

As you look back into the NASAH Forum you will quickly see that there is no timescale for recovery.  The degree of the after effects of such a bleed can for some be minimal, while for others... fatigue, headaches, low morale and return to anything like normality can feel very much like a tough, tough challenge.

During the first 12 months you will be finding out what issues are becoming less and less a challenge. Also, you will find those that are more demanding and leaving you feeling that the `old you`  is no longer attainable,  and that you have to become more accepting of the limitations caused by the bleed.  We are here to give you help and support during your recovery... please don`t hesitate to ask about anything that you feel might help.

Being retired does ease the pressure as many members have also had to contend with returning to work while still confused about how much effort their body and brain can sustain.

Continue to keep well hydrated, and rest plenty.  Trying to exercise is good, but never push too hard in these early months.  Being patient with your recovery and  watching for the signs of a reaction from your body and brain is very important.

Please keep in touch and I wish you well in the months ahead.

Subs

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Welcome to BTG, glad you have found us. As Louise says, must be nice to have the sun most of the time.

4 months is very early days, I was just about returning to work at that stage on a very slow phased return. Still had periods of being absolutely floored and unable to anything but just sit! I too had a non aneursymal bleed and like you often thing 'why and will it happen again?' don't think that feeling will ever go completely. I am 2 and a half years out now and think I have reached the point I am likely to stay at. I've had plenty of ups and downs,  career change and plenty more. 

Try taking some outdoor exercise gentle walks or maybe cycling. I find running therapeutic and a stress buster. I gradually built up my fitness after the bleed and now run 2-3 times a week plus I do classes at the gym. 

Take it easy, drink plenty and don't expect too much too soon. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Clare xx

• Like 4

Hi Peter John :)

A very warm welcome to BTG, glad you found us.

It is very early days in your recovery, be kind to yourself, listen to your body, pace yourself and don't push too hard.

Some great advice above and you will find lots of helpful friendly support here :)  

Look forward to hearing more from you and how you are doing.

Here is the link for NASAH section :

http://web.behindthegray.net/forum/16-non-aneurysm-sah-or-perimesencephalic-sah/

Take care

Tina xx

6 hours ago, CaseyR said:

Hello Peter John. Sorry about your bleed. I'm a 66 year old male from Arkansas. Retired like you. I had been retired 2 years when I had mt nasah. Everyone is different it seems. We do seem to share headaches, anxiety, and fatigue. I'm 5 years out now. I'm not real sure if deficits are from age or nasah. Try to keep well hydrated and rest when you need to. Don't hesitate to discuss anxiety and depression with your doctor. I hope your recovery is swift and complete. Let us know how you are coming along. 

Thanks Casey

I have a great doctor who I've known for a long time. Due my old work I was diagnosed with PTSD and Major Depression so we have no trouble discussing these issues.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Peter Francis

• Like 1

Hi Peter J,

We found this site and knowing we aren't alone in our fight to recover helps us, and it is good when worried to come on here and tell our worries. 

A trouble shared and so on as they say !!

I find remembering good times helps me and trying not to stress, when stressed I sing, my poor family.

It is a long haul so do not rush and always keep calm when possible xx  

Good luck and we are all in the same boat so it is good to share a nagging doubt xx

Regards

Winb143 

• Like 1

Welcome to the BTG.

I send best wishes for your recovery.  As mentioned above, we all heal differently, and I don't know that any of us return to "normal" but rather find a new norm.  I am just over two years out, but sill have lingering effects, mostly some weird headaches and memory problems.  But overall, I would say I am back to normal.  

Just take it slow, be patient, listen to your body and get better.

Chris

• Like 3

Hi Peter John,

Welcome to BTG, sorry to hear about your bleed, you have come to a great forum for support and advice.

As has been said you are still early in your recovery, try to take things slowly and not overdo things, plenty of rest and drinking plenty of water are a great help.

Wishing you well as you start your recovery journey.

Love 

Michelle xx 

• Like 2