Hello...I am swishy

Swishy

Hello All,

I have peeked at this sight for nearly 6 months now but tonight I made the move to register.  I had my SAH 7 months ago.  It was sudden, scary and unexpected.  I am lucky as I live near one of the great hospitals in the US.  My symptom was a thunderclap headache...I was fortunate as the bleeding was small and stopped on its own.  I stayed in the hospital 3 days and was released with no issues.  

I felt lucky but confused as to how this had happened.  My lucky feeling lasted 3 days when I had a severe vasospasm alone but was able to call for help before I slipped into a period of time I have no memory of.  I was taken back to the hospital where they performed a cerebral angiogram and put verapamil into the vessels in my head to stop the vasospasm.  I spent 8 days in ICU of which I don't remember much.  From there I spent 2 weeks in rehab.  

I lost a lot of core strength and couldn't sit up and walking was difficult.  I am much better now but I still feel as my name says "swishy" all the time.  I feel a little off balance.  I had the SAH on my right side and all indications were that the RCVS had affected my right side as well. But I have developed loss of sensation on my right side as well as some on my left side.  Doctor says it is from the RCVS.  I am left feeling frustrated at having sensation loss on both sides of my body.  It is a difficult thing to live with the uncertainty of this...I struggle..

Hi Swishy, welcome to BTG, glad you have been finding the site useful and that you finally took the step to register and post.

Sounds like you had a bit of a time with it, just goes to show that more lengthy stays in hospital prevent complications such as your vasospasm. Were you given Nimodipine when you first were admitted, that is standard for SAH sufferers in the UK and usually helps prevent vasospasm. Glad you finally got sorted but sorry to hear of your 'swishyness'!

You are still fairly early days maybe some of the sensation will return, I would think that only time will tell. The only person able to give and answer would be your medical team.

Hopefully others with similar symptoms will post with help and advice for you. In the meantime hope you continue to find the site helpful.

Clare xx

Hi Swishy, 

I came home after an SAH4  remember nothing at all thank goodness !!

My Daughter soon got fed up with me slipping on to her where my core had gone,  I'd be sitting on a hospital bed in my house and fall sideways.

Stronger now but back aches if I walk too far so 100 to 200 yards is my max and on a bad day it is 3 steps lol xxx

We will get there but not overnight xx So I was told "No Stress and keep happy"  So I sing  xx 

Good luck and welcome to BTG maybe see you in Green room later  xx 

Keep Smiling xxxxxxxx

Thanks so much for the replies...first time I have had any contact with someone who shares my story...I was, at least to my knowledge, nimodipine...I knew nothing of vasospasm or my risk of it when I came home after the SAH...but I sure know now... I am happy to have this site to help me and educate me...thank you so much and I wish you strength as you go through your recoveries...

:) Swishy

Hi Swishy,

Welcome to BTG.  Everybody's personal journey to recovery is different.  The circumstances surrounding how their event happened are different too.

One problem is that nobody can see your injury so they think there's nothing wrong.  And to some degree, you can't see your injury either (although you can feel it) and sometimes you don't want to admit to yourself there's something wrong because you want to be 'normal.' 

Sometimes though, there's no escaping it, and you have to admit to yourself that you need time to recover, whatever your doctors say.  One 'issue' with doctors is that they themselves haven't experienced a SAH so what they tell you in terms of recovery comes from hearsay and what they witness as they treat people.  They are brilliant people but they haven't the experience you now have.

So listen to your own body.  Get your medical advice from your doctors but rest when you feel you need to , slow down and give your body the time it needs to heal and stay hydrated.  Difficult if your circumstances dictate otherwise, but you owe it to yourself and those around you to recover in the best way possible.

Good luck.  Let us know how you get on.

Archived