Possible Council Tax Reductions

If you are disabled it may be possible to have your Council Tax dropped by one band or if you are in the lowest band a discount is given.

The criteria stated on the back of the council tax bill states "an extra kitchen or bathroom for the disabled person's use" This is just a guideline, every council has their own criteria to be met. I know of people who have received the reduction just for being disabled.

I had to have an extra bathroom made to suit my needs. This was done in the style of an en-suite  and I got the reduction. This is just an example.

The procedure is to contact your council for a form, fill your bit in and take it to your doctors for them to complete. Once the council have received the application they will send out somebody to inspect your property for obvious reasons.

A bonus can be, if you are awarded the reduction, it can be backdated at the council's discretion, to the date the disability began. That could be a bonus as I know of someone who had it backdated for several years, hence no council tax to pay for quite a while.

Obviously every council is different but there can be no harm in initially applying. They can only say no or it could be to your advantage..