Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

My husband suffered a SAH on 15th November 2017.  He is still in hospital 8 weeks later.   He has movement in his arms and legs.  His speech is clear and he is able to feed himself.  He is unable to sit himself up or move his torso at all.   I was told it would be a long recovery process but from reading the stories on here he doesn't seem to be doing as well as he should.  Is there anybody else who had this type of problem that can give me any advice or confidence that he can get better.  Thank you .

Welcome to BTG.

Please do not compare your husband's recovery with others, recovery is a very individual thing. Some can recover relatively quickly and others can take forever or never fully recover.

He will recover at his own pace, there are no hard fast rules.

I would take on board what the doctors are saying and if you have concerns about his progress ask them for answers

Carol sorry to hear about your husband, everyone's recovery is different and recovery can take years.  Try talking to his doctors, see what they have to say. I hope he is on the mend soon. It is good he can move his arms and legs. When I hard mine in January last year I could not move my left arm or leg, I had to learn how to walk again. It as been hard and there is still a lot I can't do. I wish your husband all the luck in getting better.

All my love Andrea  xxx

Hi Carol,

I could not hold myself up when I first woke up,  it was something to do with my core.

I'd sit on my bed and slide sideways and always fell on my Daughter and I'm no lightweight !! 

Hubby got me V pillows to hold me up.  but if you are worried see the Doc about hubby. 

Good luck to your hubby and remember you will need rest xx We are hard work lol xx

Regards

Win 

Hi Carol

I'm sorry about your husband,  but you are both in such very early days of recovery.  Eight weeks is nothing compared to others.  Every recovery is individual and it depends on his will and determination as to how he recovers.  When the hospital think he is strong enough they will start working with him to achieve whatever they can and yes it can take years for recovery to reach its best but take one day at a time, because in time you will hopefully see improvements which can be built on.

Good luck to you both

Dear Carol,
Welcome to BTG.

I echo what everyone says - the recovery rate varies from person to person.

My husband (who was fast approaching 40 when he had his SAH) was in the hospital for 6 weeks - in various wards. He walked from  cab to home on the day he arrived, said that, his left arm and left leg was very very weak.

It took another good 2 months to call it reasonably okay.

I was told something very profound when we were going through this - It is not a sprint, it is a marathon.

All will be well in the end Carol

Prayers,

Shobs

• Like 3