Unbalanced

Could anyone tell me if they too suffer from unsteadiness and dizziness when standing or walking. It’s 8 months since my SAH and clipping and 6 months since my shunt. I’m ok lying down or sitting but as soon as I stand I’m so unsteady and walk a bit like a drunk! Does it get better? My shunt is set for 1.5 and apparently is ok. I had it altered to 2.00 the other week and it was even worse. 

I think I have said before that I am still like that, exactly as you describe, after 14 years and use walking aids. It may take a while to get the correct shunt adjustment for you that will hopefully correct your problems.

As everyone is different, nobody can predict what the future holds and we certainly wouldn't even try.

A coping strategy I use is to focus my eyes on one point ahead and never veer from that point until I have to. I then stop and very slowly focus on another fixed point before I move again, tedious but it does help.  

Have you ever thought that your unsteadiness could be down to a part of your brain that may be damaged. A point you may wish to bring up with your neurologist. I was told that my "drunkenness" was due to brain stem damage but that is my diagnosis, yours may be very different.

I cannot just jump up anymore, everything is done at a slow pace.

All what Super said, I agree xx

Awful when you wake up in the night and need to run to toilet lol.

Someone on here told me to do things at a slower pace and I do xx

Good luck and I have a shunt also  xx Slowly does it xxxx 

There is always hope. I still hope my problems will improve even after all these years.

Work out some coping strategies by trial and error and you will find you can have a good life.

I have and I enjoy my life, different as it was planned years ago, but a good life, just different.

Yes sure there is Penny as Super said xx 

We get good days and giddy ones depends on how we treat ourselves.

I find thinking of funny times when we  have laughed a lot and singing is good also, although my hubby would disagree.   (Luckily I had a fun Mum and remember her and her laughter)

Cheer up we will get better give your body/head a chance.  If ever in doubt see Doc to put mind at ease or I could sing ???? ha ha xxxxx

Archived