Umut - new member - Severe Hemorrhagic Stroke Left Hemisphere of the Brain and Brain Stem

Umut

Hi,

I am new to this Forum. My name is Umut. I am 39 years old and living with my mother Nug in Istanbul. When the unfortunate incident happened I searched the internet for Forums and I thought this forum is a convenient one to share and discuss ideas. I’d be happy to hear from you for this different moment of my life. 

My mom (69 years old) had a hemorrhagic stroke (with signs of severe headache, vomiting etc.) on 11 March 2018 Sunday and I took her to the nearest hospital’s emergency ward with an ambulance. Just as we reached the hospital’s emergency ward respiration stopped. They immediately performed intubation. They took a Tomography Scan and Tomography showed that there was intensive bleeding on the left hemisphere of the brain and part of the bleeding even reached the brain stem.

The doctors said my mum when reached at the hospital was 4/15 on Glasgow Scale. (The hemorrhagic stroke happened at 9:30 pm. We reached hospital at 10:30 pm and  at 00:00 am surgery began). They performed  a 2,5 hour surgery to just take out the blood. No other complication occurred. They told me that bleeding probably occurred due to thinning of veins due to aging (vascular degenerance, venous bleeding).

She has been in ICU and unconscious (in a coma situation) until then. On March 15, 2018 they stopped the sedatives to wake her up. On March 17, 2018 they replaced the intubation tube with tracheostomy. On March 18, 2018 they removed the respiration machine. Since March 18, 2018,  she has been breathing on her own. All other bodily functions are functioning normally. Her blood pressure is normal, her face looks normal etc. 

We are desperate for her conscious to return. The doctors say that current situation may worsen, remain the same or may get better. I have made a playlist of family voices on a music player for my mom to listen. Once we get in ICU we talk with her normally, tell her that we miss her and she looks great. She sometimes moves her arms, eyelids, legs. But doctors say this may be because of the bodily reflexes. 

The doctors say that early intervention was very important with such a severe instance. 

Within this week the doctors are thinking of moving my mother out of the ICU in a coma situation as the conditions of keeping on the ICU are no longer in effect, 

Do you have any idea of when she may get out of the coma situation and start to respond to the environment?

Umut

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Umut

I'm sorry about your mother but we all hope things will improve in time. however you are so so early post bleed and it can take up to three weeks before any change will be noticed.

Mum has taken a huge injury to her brain and it will take time for that to even settle mum has a tightrope to walk over the next twenty one days.

you have done right in playing voices and music to her.

I started a diary and left it in the ward so others could write any comments in it. I know my partner was out of it for three weeks plus but was also moving her limbs. its going to a very long marathon its not going to be a sprint and you are starting on a roller coaster recovery your going to have some major ups and downs but hoping mum will pull through.

Wishing mum and the family well take care we will be here for you, take time for yourself as well.  

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your comments and warm welcome. When I read the posts, I feel I am part of a big family. Shall I start counting three weeks from the start of the incident (that is March 11, 2018) or from today? 

Kind regards,

Umut

Hi Umut

Take it from today but remember your mum is a individual and we cannot say for certain how things progress. It depends on Mum's inner strength and well being. Just be patient, be there for her and learn to take one day at a time. So far mum has survived, let mum do all the running so to speak. There is nothing you can do except hope and pray mum makes the necessary steps to recover. Time is not a factor just yet, one day at a time, remember.

Hi Paul,

Thank you. I will remember that indeed. As far as I understand from your point of view, for the time being every passing day counts on us, I guess. I am visiting her every day (on weekends two times). When we say something, we get the feeling that she hears us but can not respond. Some days, her hands are more active. She gapes, tries to come forward. But we don’t know whether those movements are done consciously or unconsciously.

When we get there,  sometimes we get the feeling that she is responding in a very very little manner. Her activity increases in a little way. My mom is a very strong woman and I strongly believe she will overcome that. 

Umut, my very best wishes to you , your mother and your family. This is a difficult time for you all and well done s for such prompt action, you made the difference to mum. 

Paul speaks from knowledge and experience and as he says your patience will Be important as it Is very early for mum after such a trauma to her brain.  Watch for signs and reactions , differences in them , be the advocate in her care and the diary is a great idea to help communication and messages, also put up pictures taped to her bedside if they allow and music and voices are a great stimulation. If she reacts to them intentionally then keep going with that but know  that the effort of that will also exhaust her.

It is good your mum has strength and I will pray for her progress.  Take care of yourself too. She would want that. All I wanted was to know my kids were ok so pace yourself and eat well. That’s the mum in me speaking. 

Hi Umut,

I had an SAH4 and awoke after a long while.

Keep Mum happy sing her favourite songs, my answer to all ills xx 

Also keep talking to her as my Sisters used to sing to me and my Daughter used to ask them to join me in the conversation.

We are in there just keep talking to us or a song or 2  xx 

Wishing your Mum all the best 

Regards

Win xxxxx

Dear Daffodil and Winb,

Thank you so much for your warm comments. I try my best to take care for myself so that I can visit her.

When I visit her, I talk with her normally, explaining my daily routine. Today they performed a Tomogrophy and the brain surgeon told us that there exists a small hemorrhage on the outer section of the brain which is not worth paying attention. Overall the brain surgeon is happy with the Tomography. Tonight I noticed that her left eye is around 80 % closed, I decided to position myself so that she may see me. Her left pupil was every 2-3 seconds moving left and right. I held her hand and I believe she made attempts to reposition herself (this may be reflexive as well). I have the strong feeling that she felt my presence.

She needs you now and I am sure you are right that she sensed you there but bet she is shattered as 

"A letter from your Brain" tells you what Mum has been through. 

But we are strong while we have our loved ones to help us 

Dear Winb,

Thank you for the article. Very informative and emotional.

As my mom is in a Coma State right now, the doctors hope and say “what if she makes very little tiny efforts to communicate”. They are of the opinion that my mom’s current loss of conscience maybe due to the extent of the brain swelling (oedema). 

Kind regards,

On 3/26/2018 at 11:18, paul99 said:

Hi Umut

I'm sorry about your mother but we all hope things will improve in time. however you are so so early post bleed and it can take up to three weeks before any change will be noticed.

Mum has taken a huge injury to her brain and it will take time for that to even settle mum has a tightrope to walk over the next twenty one days.

you have done right in playing voices and music to her.

I started a diary and left it in the ward so others could write any comments in it. I know my partner was out of it for three weeks plus but was also moving her limbs. its going to a very long marathon its not going to be a sprint and you are starting on a roller coaster recovery your going to have some major ups and downs but hoping mum will pull through.

Wishing mum and the family well take care we will be here for you, take time for yourself as well.  

On 3/26/2018 at 14:15, paul99 said:

Hi Umut

Take it from today but remember your mum is a individual and we cannot say for certain how things progress. It depends on Mum's inner strength and well being. Just be patient, be there for her and learn to take one day at a time. So far mum has survived, let mum do all the running so to speak. There is nothing you can do except hope and pray mum makes the necessary steps to recover. Time is not a factor just yet, one day at a time, remember.

Dear Paul,

An ICU doctor at the ICU told me today that those ICU Patients who are fully expected to recover well, show signs of consciousness and communication within 15 days of ICU unit care. My mum is still unconscious and it is our 16 th day. I very well know that my mum likes to sleep for longer hours. What is your point of view?

Umut

The answer is very difficult, its a very difficult thing to answer as every patient is different .

There is no one size that fits all. It is the same as asking how long is the piece of string. 

Doctors err on the side of caution I believe and I hope  mum will wake up when she is ready. 

Put your hand in hers and ask her if she wants to come back and to squeeze your hand if she does.  All you can do is wait and  its a horrible time and so much will go through your mind but all you can do is be patient and wait.  It can take another three weeks , nobody knows for sure but taking one day at a time would be the ideal thing to do. 

Be there for mum , squeeze her hand , talk to her , and tell her you all love her and you want her back.  It is a shame no one is the same as each bleed affects people very differently and there will good days and bad ahead  and we can only hope and pray mum shows signs she is aware.

All the best  Paul  

Umut

Please remember there are other people who have such a wealth of information, flattered as I am I would rather you address all comments to the open floor. I will comment when I feel appropriate, but thank you for your trust.  

Hi Umut

Thank you Win.. Yes  Umut there are others who have gone through the same as you and may have some input to help you and mum. I'm sorry if I seemed to confuse you that is the last thing I would do to  you. I'm still here for you but leave the forum for all to contribute  take care xx

Hi Umut

A very warm welcome to BTG :)

Hoping you are doing well and looking after yourself ?  Such an emotional worrying time for you with your Mum being so poorly.

Some great advice above from Paul, Daffodil & Win.

Sounds like you are a very caring Son and doing all the right things for your Mum.

Sending lots of positive healing thoughts your way.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Take care

Tina   xx 

Hi Umut,

How is your Mom Nug today? I truly hope that she regains consciousness soon.

It sounds as though you and your family are doing all of the right things with playing messages of family voices that are familiar to her.  

Tough times for you all, but it sounds as though Nug has a lovely supportive family around her. x

Dear Karen and Tina,

Thank you very much for your warm and kind support.

Today is my mom’s 18th day at ICU. The doctors cut sedatives on March 15th. Since then she has been sleeping on her own. She has been breathing on her own with very little respiratory support. All other bodily functions are normal. She is still unconscious. Tonight as everyday I will be visiting her. Last night during my visit,  I got the impression that she slowly - exerted some effort- pulled my hand on to herself (i have no idea if it is reflexive or not). She is showing basic signs of instinctive bodily reflexes.

During my visit I tell her that I need and love her, I know that she hears me but can not be able to respond. I will be there for her everyday, she looks great and relatives and her friends miss her and it’s time to come back.

Kind regards,

Umut

Hi Umut,

The problem with a SAH is that everybody's recovery rate is different.  It is a personal journey for her and she has to go at her own speed, not the one you want her to go at.

Your problem is that you want to do something for her but you have a feeling of helplessness.  However, you are doing something wonderful.  You are being there for her, you are encouraging her and you are taking things for her.

Even though she cannot respond at the moment, it is surprising how much the brain takes in, so read magazine and newspaper articles to her, talk to her in your normal way and keep a diary of her progress, noting any small improvements.  Try and keep stimulating her, but also know that she will tire quickly and needs to rest, so give her that time also.

Be patient Umut, every journey starts with a single step, as has been said so many times before, and as long as that journey is forwards there is a chance.

I think you are doing just great, so keep going and keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Macca

Dear All 

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I read your warm comments to my family members and they are sending you their best wishes. I have just visited my mum. I told her my day. I told her that everything is going normal, weather is cold, I truly miss her and love her, it’s time to wake up and I will be back tomorrow. She is in stable condition (blood pressure normal, oxygen saturation normal, pulse normal). We are praying for her to gain consciousness. 

All the best,

Umut

Dear friends,

I have just visited my mum at ICU. She was looking unconscious but in a stable condition. 

I told her the current date, time, place and how long she has been at the hospital. I told her once again that she is looking great and the doctors are planning to move her to a hospital room within next week. 

I got the little, tiny impression (I have no idea whether it is reflexive or not) that she exerted a little pressure to pull my hand on to her chest. A little eyedrop came out on her 90 % closed right eye.

The nurse told me that this may be due to the pain for the catheter insertion just 30 minutes before my visit. If that’s correct, this might be a sign that she felt the pain.

If that’s not the case, she might have heard me. I really don’t know although I had the feeling that she listened to me.

All the best,

Umut

Archived