Umut - new member - Severe Hemorrhagic Stroke Left Hemisphere of the Brain and Brain Stem

Umut

Hi Umut,

I am sending prayers and strength to you and your family at this very worrying time.

Recovery takes time and I think you are doing a brilliant job, talking to and playing messages to your mum are all really helpful things. 

You also need to look after yourself, make sure you are eating well and keeping your strength up too, 

Sending love & best wishes to you and your mum.

Love

Michelle xx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Umut

I think you are doing all the right things when you visit but it is must be very emotional for you but remember you and your family know mum best. THe doctors will of course be following medical teaching and experience for how she may recover but you will see what you know too , her colour, her nails etc, and if mum is a fighter. 

If she had a tear fall on response to you or pain then that may be an indication she is trying to respond , equally if you feel some slight pressure but of course it is so hard to be certain. Are both her eyes closed?  Can you see any of mums eye movement at all ? I’m sure you will have tried this but see if can she blink in response, that can be something that helps if she is able, even a flick of an eyelid. One for yes etc.

It is possible if mum is breathing unaided now and bp is Stable then it could be she is severely limited by the effects of her significant bleed and it is preventing the bodies ability to respond. Just suggesting this to you not to upset you further but only because just recently a friend of a friend had a similar event and her family was being told there’s was little hope , but once they found a way to see she was trying to communicate she has gone on to make solid progress.  In this case they diagnosed ‘ locked in syndrome’  post her stroke but talking to her throughout and letting her know they still saw her there made a big difference and now she can communicate better and is no longer locked in she has been able to thank them  for doing that. 

As we have said everyones different thats whats so hard but im sur3 mum feels your love, even when I knew nothing , not where I was or who I was I still could feel love and it makes a whole lot of difference I promise you.

get some rest Umut  (that’s the mum in me again) , tomorrow is another day 

Hi Umut,

I had trouble with my catheter, I didn't want to say anything but now you have mentioned it I will tell you what I thought when in dream land.  A man was chasing me with a big pipe sounds daft but it was so real and I was running away and then got UTI  (Urinary tract infection) I am sure they will check on Mum but ask them the question !! When they took my catheter out I sighed and went into a deep sleep yet again. But so peaceful my Daughter said!! 

Do they empty her bag regular ? if not ask them to check it is done.  Wishing your Mum all the best and don't be frightened to ask questions as I have been there in dreamland and got the above but your Mum might not have it but it wont hurt to ask.   Sorry if I upset you but I was out an age and do not want that happen to anyone  xxxx  

Dear friends,

Thank you for all your well wishes. I try my best to take care for myself. We are waiting with hope and we are praying for her consciousness to return. I very well know that my mum is somewhat lazy but a strong character and likes sleeping for longer hours. The doctors don’t know that. Thus recovery process may take longer compared with other patients. 

All the best,

Hi everyone,

Today was my mum’s 21th day at ICU. Her condition is stable. As in every visit, I told her to give me a sign (blink of an eye etc.) to show that she understood me but I didn’t receive any. The only noticeable thing was her heart rate went from 90 to 100 (10 % increase) this morning’s visit after I talked with her and played three

of her favourite music. On my evening visit, nothing noticeable was observed.

By the way, I already lost 2 kilograms but I’m trying my best to compensate for that. My eating routine is returning back to normal. Thank you again for your concern and valuable recommendations. I  know that I have to be healthy to see my mum. ?

all the best,

Umut

Hi Umut,

Never give up on Mum and look for signs that all is okay with her as you are doing.

Ask questions if you are worried do not be afraid and glad to hear you are looking after yourself also.

Horrid time for families as when I had mine my Daughter kept asking her Dad "Will Mum be okay" and her Dad said "Yes but when is the question" as I kept getting better then getting ill.

So keep an eye on her and good luck.  

Love to you and Mum  

xxxx

Hi,

My mum was sleeping peacefully this evening (Day 22). I performed my daily routine by talking with her and playing her favourite music. All other health parameters are normal. We are praying for her. 

Warm wishes,

Dear friends,

Today is my mum’s 23rd day at ICU. I have just visited my mum. Today I tried something extraordinary for her smelling sensation. I picked the leaves of my mum’s home grown mint and brought to my mum. I explained to her that I have brought the home grown mint for her and I was about to bring it closer to her nose. Then I told her, here comes the leaves of the mint just close to your nose. She moved her head and her arms a little bit at the same time.Then without informing her this time, I brought the leaves of the mint close to her nose again. I received no response. From my experience, I got the strong sensation and impression that she should be primed (informed) just before making any sensory stimulus (for example telling her beforehand that I was about to hold her hand). 

Warm wishes,

Umut

Umut,

You are being a good son and Mum cannot ask for anymore.  She needs her Family more than ever.

All the best for Mum and remember yourself xx 

Kindest regards to Both of you and I do hope Mum improves, take care yourself also.

Win xxxx

Thank you Win for your support. I feel strong when I read your comments. Despite her unconscious condition, they are planning to locate my mum to a hospital room (ward) soon. She will be under Neurosurgery Department’s care from that time.

Now I’m reading a book called Into the Gray Zone by Adrian Owen. He is talking about the clinical research and trials about coma patients which state that they can actually hear sounds around them. Worth reading..

Best wishes,

Hi Umut

My husband was in an induced coma after a motorbike accident nearly three years ago now.  I wanted to know where his wedding ring was and the nurse told me it was tied around his left wrist on ribbon.  I asked her to show me and my husband lifted his left arm and moved it towards the sound of my voice as if to show me.  He has no memory of this obviously, but it kind of proved that he could hear me and understand what was being said even though he couldn't respond.

After my SAH and I was unconscious, the nurses were trying to remove an earring from the top of me ear.  Apparently nobody could do this and one of them asked "does anyone know how to take this out?".  Hubby tells me that I then batted the nurse's hand away, removed my earring and held it out for someone to take.

Keep talking to your lovely mum, keep telling her that you're there and what is happening from day to day.

I'm sending lots of love and positive thoughts your's and your mum's way xx

Dear Skippy,

Thank you for your best wishes. When I visit my mum, I tell my daily routine and keep telling the well wishes of friends and relatives. I always tell her that she looks great and everything is all right. I have the strong sensation she hears me. 

Best wishes,

Hi Umut (please, call me Sami :wink1:)

I'm glad that you talk to her - I do truly believe that we are heard.  You're doing great and are definitely a credit to your mum - she'll be very proud of you.

Good luck to Mum Umut.

My Sisters used to sing to me, when I awoke they said I told them they sang the wrong words.  I cannot remember any of this.  So never give up on Mum and get rest also.

I hope Mum makes a good recovery,  All the best to you and Family 

Win xxxx

Hi everyone,

On 25th day, my mum was transferred to a hospital room yesterday. During the transfer and during the doctors performing body care on her, her eyes remain half open. At other times her eyes are closed. Do you have any idea why this maybe the case? 

all the best,

Morning Umut

Unfortunately I have no idea why -but maybe this a question you need to ask the Doctors.  They're better placed to give you an answer than we are.

Sounds promising though that she has been moved to a hospital room - I hope she improves so she can open her eyes completely and see what fantastic support her wonderful son is giving her xxx

As Sami has said Umut when worried about anything always ask the Docs especially when they are about.

Get that list ready and write down anything that is bothering you and pass on to Hospital Docs.

Ask Mum if anything is bothering her you might not get an answer but when I was half awake and asleep my husband gave me a pen and paper and said "Write down what we can do Win" In a scrawl I wrote help me, as I was half awake and half asleep.  Lot of help I was !! 

Hope Mum is well rested and soon awakes  xxxx  Chin up Umut, hard going but keep a close eye on Mum.

Good luck Both Mum and  Umut xx

Dear All,

Today is the 30th day. Thanks so much for your well wishes. We are waiting for her consciousness to return.

No conclusion can be inferred from my mum’s eyes sometimes remaining half-open.

The room is better than ICU, since there is a window, we are always by her side, the rays of the sunset shines directly on my mum’s bed. 

I’m reading her newspapers, turn on the phone’s speaker while talking with friends so that there is sound around the room. On two occasions, she continuously yawned and went into deep sleep (even snored ;)).

I got the impression that she tires easily and in order to compensate for that she went into deep sleep. Her brain surgeon is visiting her every early morning. He said that we have to wait and see how she recovers.

All other health parameters are normal. Physical therapy is performed daily. 

Best wishes,

Umut

Umut,

You are doing a brilliant job, you are there for your mum and I'm sure she knows you are there.

It's lovely  that she has been moved to a room with a window and lovely sunlight shining on to her bed.

Sending you and your mum love and strength to help you through.

Keep doing what you are doing, your mum will be so very proud of what you are doing.

Love 

Michelle xx 

Archived