Eye test

Many websites mention that after a SAH you should have your eyes tested . 

Have many people done this ? Just about to start a phased return  to work after 6 months off and I’m wondering if I should organise an eye test.

Hi there

I was advised by consultant not to have my eyes checked for a  year after my SAH as the bleed itself can cause vision disturbance that would not necessarily reflect the true prescription needed.  Check with your consultant / optician.

I was already getting old man vision, but the NASAH made it worse, especially in one eye.  I now need glasses, especially at dusk and dawn.  And it is inconsistent.  Sometimes worse than other, but the glasses still help.

Still see the eye doctor or optometrist every 2 yrs (or more frequently) if you are over 40. It might be from SAH or it might be something totally different. Many people have all kinds of eye issues without SAH or stroke. The treatments and procedures are much more improved these days. Goodluck.

I had my eyes checked after I recovered because they bothered me.

I went into the hospital wearing contacts for over 20 years beforehand and left not being able to tolerate them at all.

My eyes checked out completely fine and my prescription didn't change at all but I still cannot wear contacts for any length of time almost a year out.

My brain just can't deal with them in my eyes and if I try to be cute and wear them, my eyes feel strained.  It's so weird!

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2018 at 03:01, Krislwal said:

I had my eyes checked after I recovered because they bothered me.

I went into the hospital wearing contacts for over 20 years beforehand and left not being able to tolerate them at all.

My eyes checked out completely fine and my prescription didn't change at all but I still cannot wear contacts for any length of time almost a year out.

My brain just can't deal with them in my eyes and if I try to be cute and wear them, my eyes feel strained.  It's so weird!

I'm 3 and a half years post haemorrhage and have had exactly the same with my eyes. I initially had a real issue with light

sensitivity and didn't even attempt to wear lenses for a long time due to headaches etc. Still having problems and now only wear very occasionally if it's a special occasion.

Unfortunately I usually suffer for a few days after and eyes really uncomfirtable. My opticians have advised my eyes are quite dry now, so have recently started using an eye wash with the wee eye bath and that has definitely helped make my eyes more comfortable.

I'm still hoping things will improve with time, but really interested that other people have the same issue! 

Gillian99...  It always makes me feel better when someone can relate.  I've been forcing myself to wear my contacts more.  I try everyday for vanitys sake.  I don't like wearing glasses and I'm too afraid to get LASIK eye surgery.  I'm just going to keep trying and hoping that my eyes adjust again.  Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I had lasik way back in the 1990s when it was still on limited approval here in the states.  My eyesight was like 20/400 and I had worn contacts fro so long that i had severe conjunctivitus.  So it was either that or thick (at that time they would have been thick) glasses.  One of best decisions I ever did. 

My eyesight was terrific up until about age 50 when I started to need reading glasses.  Now, after the NASAH, i need help near and far, but only when I really need to see well.  Most of the time still no glasses for me.

• 1 month later...

I only have my close up and distance glasses. The hospital have put temp prisms on both. However it is hard to determine which ones to wear and when. I am thinking of having my eyes tested but also concerned of the cost, especially if vision returns to how it was.  Perhaps you should consider that. I am 9 weeks post SAH x

Archived