Embolisation of aneurysm using a stent

I have recently had an aneurysm which was embolised using a flow diverter stent .. i was initially told it would probably be coiled, I was wondering how common this was and how succesfull it  was compared to coiling plus a stent.

Jacqui

I had an SAH and had it coiled,  a year later I had a shunt put in because of Hydrocephalus.

I do not know about stents but I am sure it is okay, someone will know I am sure xx

Keep Well 

Winb143 alias Win lol xx

I had two aneurysms, one was embolised using both coils and a stent, the second one was so small that it wasn't possible to use coils, so they only used a stent.

I have been told that the doctors were worried about the procedure beforehand, and I was kept in an induced coma for a while as they decided what to do. But once the embolisation was done, I was told it was successful.

A follow up angiogram a few months later confirmed that the stents were doing their job, and no further procedures would be necessary. I will get another angiogram but only in a couple of years' time.

So from my experience, a stent can be sufficient treatment. I have no idea how common this is, though. 

Archived