Hi everyone, I had my non aneurismal SAH 7 weeks ago. It was a minor bleed and when I got out of hospital 9 days later on a Friday my walking wasn’t good due to 2 lumbar punctures and an angiogram. This improved really quickly and I assumed I’d feel a bit tired but could deal with it and resume life as normal until it passed.

I teach, play and direct music self employed (so no sick pay) love my work and have a family of 5 to support also. Being tired wasn’t going to stop me so I got out on the Friday and gradually went back to work from the Monday and a week later everything was back in full swing.

7 weeks on, I feel like I’ve dragged myself through mud. When “tiredness” hits I feel floored with exhaustion. The back of my head to my spine feels like fire and pressure are circulating. My neck, shoulders and rib cage feel heavy and I can sometimes feel pressure in my chest. Last Monday I had throbbing and sharp pains in my chest. I also get stroke like flutters of numbness across my face very occasionally.

When people say “tired” or “exhausted” I just want to know what your experience of this is. My symptoms make me feel like I could potentially push my body into having a stroke or a heart attack. What exactly is exhaustion and what are the dangers (if any). It will take a lot to slow me down as telling people “I can’t” because “I’m tired” just doesn’t feel like an option. 

Hi Gem

Hope you feel better soon. I think going back to work has to gradual. I bled 7 weeks ago too. Rest is the key as others have said.  I too get no sick pay but have to find a way. I am happy to rest now although I normaly am up and about.  This site reminds you about resting. Headaches I have found come when I do too much. Not sure re your chest pain as I did not have an LP. Just scans.   God bless. Shazzy

I think the symptoms you describe are evidence enough that you are doing too much. Your body is telling you to stop so please take notice. What you have been through is no walk in the park, the brain needs a long time to heal and 7 weeks is really early days.

My bleed  too was  non aneurysmal but I still have days now 3 years on, when I am floored - yesterday was one. By the end of it I was good for nothing and all I had done was my regular job. 

You will have good days and bad days but please try and take things slowly as it will only hinder your recovery if you push too hard. 

I am sure your family of 5 would rather have you well and happy rather than stressed and miserable. Exhaustion will lead to stress - I can vouch for that! And as Win one of our members on BTG will tell you stress is no good for those of us who have been unfortunate enough to suffer a SAH. 

Take good care. 

Clare xx

Thanks....I suppose I’m just coming to terms with it and realising I have to listen to my body. Not easy as missing work means finding cover. Some of the people I work for have been amazing: letting me rest while they find cover but on other occasions finding cover is more stressful that just going and doing the work myself! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes please read the other threads as they are helpful and will give you similar advice. You have to rest and take it easy in early stages. When I say rest, I mean rest at home too. Some patients of mine stay home from work but they do all kinds of stuff around the house with their sickness such as flu, pneumonia, being in the hospital for stroke, lupus flare etc. rest means you should just rest your brain for now so you can recover better later.

Maybe the number one rule I learned after my NASAH is "listen to your body".  I try not to push or go when my body says no.  It may be fatigue or a headache, but I listen.

I hope you continue to improve.  It takes time.

Chris

Everything i hear here is completely normal and expected. Many recommend lots of water, true, i found sugary drinks (the brain only uses simple sugars) but avoid caffeine. Hot chocolates with extra sugar helped me get thru the "empty brain" feelings when i was at work.

You are 7 wks out, I took 4 months off and still had fatigue and "empty brain syndrome" feelings. Everything you describe is completely expected, we all went thru it. Its common for men to go back to work too early, especially if they support a family and have to.

One more thing, speaking as a doctor for 15 years. You said "I had a minor bleed". No you didn't. There no such thing as a "minor brain bleed", ok??? (Again, this is a doctor talking). You had a very very very serious event and are lucky to be here. For whatever reason, God decided it was not your time.

I have seen patients die in front of my eyes with "minor" bleeds multiple times. Hospital personnel use that word "minor" to describe a radiographic appearance, not your chance of survival or the severity of your illness. I hope the best for your recovery and will pray for you tonight. But listening to you, I think you are going to be eventually fine.

Archived